HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-18-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
grant racing

Default Racers Helpinp Racers

I had an unfortunate incident occur Thursday at Ennis. On the only Time Trail we were to get for the completion of the Houston National event, my hood came up as I was going though the lights. Luckly I managed to stop the car without further damage. When I returned to the pits several racers came by with suggestions about what to do. Someone suggested I contact Dale Hulquist since he is a glass man. He could not help since's he's from Houston but he helped me contact Jeff Heffler. Jeff called a friend David Gardner who does body work at Gardner's Auto Refinishing. I could not ask for a better experience than having David repair my car. David, his brother Mark and David's son met me at the body shop Friday morning at 8AM. David immeditatly got on the phone and found a new hood and windshield while Mark and David's son removed the broken parts and began working on removing the large dent in my race car's roof. They worked tirelessly all day and into the night. They even painted the roof and hood. I was able to make Saturday's only time trial and race on Sunday. Everyone who saw the car could not beleive it looked so good. The roof and hood are now the best things about my car. Thanks Jeff, David, Mark and David's son(I wish I had got his name also) for making a bad situtation into a good experience.
While I am thanking people, I want to include Donnie Hough who loaned me his transmission at the Houston National event in Houston. After the first round of class, my car would not move in low gear. When I returned to my pit Donnie came over and offered to let me use his spare trans. My son and I changed the trans and were ready to race when the rains came. Thanks Donnie and Paula.
Also thanks to Dwight at Pyles Bros. in Houston. (I have had a lot of breakage this year). On Friday of the Houston Div. race I broke the ring and pinion in my car. Thanks also to Dick Lux(a Ford racer who helped me a Chevy racer, by towing me back to my pits after the breakage). When I got back to my pit, I called Pyle Bros. and they stayed until 8PM that night repairing my rear end.
While this year has been a bad experience with all of the problems, it has reaffirmed my faith in people and expecially racers. They will always help a fellow racer in any way that they can.
I have proably left someone out with the problems being many and the help being great. So to those who I have not mentioned THANKS!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

Cool, feel good story. Sure beats the usual bitching and whining.

Jim Kaekel 3836
Old 04-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Kenny Wigington

Liked 60 Times in 12 Posts

Nice story and great job by all the guys who helped you out there. I really like reading this kind of stuff. There are still a lot of great people around, and even more , as racers!

I hope they will replace that win light , on my side ! It looks like yours still works ?!

STK 2894
Old 04-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's always good to read the specifics of stories like this, particularly because the people providing the help get thanked, but it's not surprising. It's something that is characteristics of our sport and why people continue to do it when they are old and gray.

david ring is offline   Reply With Quote