HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts
Default Trailer axle problem

My stacker trailer has developed a problem where the tires are leaning in at the top at about 10-12 degrees. These are 7k torsion axles. Am I going to have to buy new axles or is there a fix?
Old 09-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Bob Sherwood

Liked 332 Times in 51 Posts
Default Re: Trailer axle problem

hello Greg I had the same problem with my stacker 3 axle ! After about a dozen blowouts,which are from the tire wearing excessively on the inside 2" of the tread , I had to replace the axles. What happens is the torsion axles dont have enough travel when you travel over high spots or sharp dips. This puts all the load on ,sometimes 1 axle, which bends the spindle part of the axle and make the tires lean in on top . My trailer was also built with 7000# axles which may be enough to support the load of the trailer and cars BUT they are not strong enough to carry the stress put on them when you drive over humps and dips!!!! I would guess that your axles are Dexter ,who on their web site say do not mount torsion axles in three axle setups. I replaced mine with 10,000# torsion and had no problems after that. If you have any questions call me Bob 605-366-1032
Bob Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Greg Hill
VIP Member

After a little research and several conversations with Dexter I am going to replace my axles with a new torsion axle from dexter that is designed for triple axle trailers. Also I'm going to 8k axles instead of 7k. If you look on Dexters web site they plainly say that they do not recommend torsion axles for triple axle trailers. In 2011 they came up with a new torsion axle, the T series, designed for triple axle trailers. These new axles are larger diameter tubes and also thicker tubes. Dexter was extremely helpful helping me work through this problem even giving me a special price on my new axles. I was lucky because I have disc brakes with 8k hubs so my hubs and brakes transfer with no problem. If any of you have this problem I would recommend you contact Connie Massey at Dexter in Elkhart, In. because she is very familiar with this situation. Dexter also recommended a place to install my new axles in Goshen, In. which is being done Sept. 12.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Greg Hill
VIP Member

I got my trailer fixed with new axles and I am very pleased with the results. Mo Trailers in Goshen, In. did the work and it turned out great. My trailer sits 3 or 4 inches higher now and the axles are lined up straight. It was not a cheap fix but you gotta do what you gotta do.