HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #21
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts
Default Re: Veteran Issues

the other office is in Prescott(brain fade that happens when you get over 60)--- you want to talk to the VA Environmental Health Office in those towns
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #22
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts

Thanks guys.....My AO exposure is undeniable. Ischemic Heart Disease, like prostate cancer, is presumptive and the VA has determined that all claims for these are AO related.....so, it is just a matter of time...and wait. The VFW also recommended that I file for my hearing loss, and also PTSD .... that sounded a little strange to me after 45 years, but they recommended it.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #23
FED 387
VIP Member

If you go for hearing loss DO NOT TELL THEM YOU DRAG RACE!!!!!!!!!! not sure what branch you were in or what your job was but if you were near small arms fire or mortars or artillery emphasize you were never given ear protection or any warning regarding hearing safety or protection!!!!!!! Ya stuck your fingers in your ears that's what we did OK???
Old 02-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #24
SStockDart
VIP Member

I agree.....I was Army 11B40....Infantry Sgt E-5....I don't have to make anything up...LOL....We didn't have ear plugs for anything.....Also, I was trained in demolitions, meaning I was to be the one left behind to blow up any base camp.....C4 usually, but also know how to use diesel fuel, anhydros amonia (sp) and a blasting cap will take care of most everything....Ask timothy McVie....
Old 02-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #25
SStockDart
VIP Member

I want to be a little careful what I say on here, because big brother might be watching....I don't have any guns.....my wife doesn't have any guns, my dogs don't have any guns, and our cat does not own a gun (that I have found)....my cat's name is Barney (after Barney Frank) because he likes to like his own butt.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:09 AM   #26
SStockDart
VIP Member

Probably 10 years ago, I never would have considered filing a VA claim. My dad (deceased) was a POW in WWII. He did not file a claim until he was 73 years old, even though he had numerous health problems as a result. My grandparents sent 4 sons into WWII. One was killed in Normandy, Dad was a POW in the Battle of the Bulge, one was severely injured and one made it home OK. Up until recently, I always felt that my 2 years in the military was my obligation to ensure that we keep this country free and safe. I served and did it proudly…..I made the best of it…..I was promoted to E-5 with just 13 months of service.

As I get older, 66, I see things differently, and I would like to have those 2 years back, and add them to my life now. Obviously that can not happen. But the 2 years that I gave, I had no choice…..I was drafted.

My feelings about filing a VA claim changed with the current administration (right or wrong)……When you see things like "Obama Phones" for free, but not free for everyone????? And the ever increasing number of people living off of the government (tax payers), via food stamps and welfare. Maybe I am getting a little selfish in my old age, but……what did these people ever do for our country to entitle them to get taxpayer money for doing nothing, while a serviceman gets nothing.

When I retired, 8 years ago, I really thought we were set for life, financially. That has changed with inflation, insurance (ObamaCare) costs, fuel, etc. Even though we are doing OK, we are unable to do some of the things Donna and I planned on, during retirement. Yet, you read about all of the money this government spends foolishly….immigration, abroad, welfare, and bull sh-t.

So, I have no reservations about filing a VA claim now…..selfish…maybe. Entitled..I don’t thing so….
Deserving? I believe so.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #27
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
Guys I would not contact the Congressman unless absolutely necessary they tend to F things up---I went thru the DAV to get mine---be patient there is nothing anybody can do to speed up the process I waited 27 months to get mine
Had a case right here on Classracer (ChrisOK) where 92 year widow (FL) of a WWII vet had applied for a wartime pension once her husband had passed. She was living off $625 a month Social Security. 14 months waiting and no response from the determination Center (PA). I set a fire under her Congressman and the Director of the FL Veterans Affairs. She got her pension and back pay to the date of the death of her husband. Each situation will differ and I am a firm believer that the approach must also be different in each case.

I am a life-time member of DAV and they proved instrumental in my first claim in 1996 but less effective in subsequent claims.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #28
Eddies66
VIP Member

Senators John Boozman (R-AR) and Mark Begich (D-AK) will offer the amendment to S. 1982, the Comprehensive Veterans Health and Benefits and Military Pay Restoration Act of 2014, veterans legislation that DAV strongly supports. Their amendment is similar to their bill, S. 932, the Putting Veterans Funding First Act, which the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs approved in a bipartisan vote of 13 to 1 last November. The House Veterans’ Affairs Committee approved similar legislation (H.R. 813) unanimously last August.

VA’s medical care programs already receive advance appropriations since Congress passed, and the President signed, Public Law 111-81, the Veterans Health Care Budget Reform and Transparency Act, in October 2009 to provide the budget a year in advance. As a result, during the recent government shutdown while many VA offices and services were closed, VA hospitals and clinics were able to provide uninterrupted health care. By contrast, the shutdown delayed, disrupted and suspended other critical services for veterans.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #29
FED 387
VIP Member

As we get older & grayer our perspective on lotsa things change. Many of the "programs" that are in place and the benefits that the "recipients " recieve even tho not deserved but maybe "entitled" to when I look at some of this crap it makes my blood boil!!!!!!!! I served in the Army and when I went in my health was at a "certain " level when I came out of service my health was nowhere near the level that it was when I went in.

The Army had drastically changed my health situation from that beginning level , it can never return to the pre Army level no matter what anybody does. Do I think I should be compensated? YES, do I think I deserve it ? YES..do I think I am being selfish NO, I did my part ,they messed up my health, they promised me they would "help" me if I did get messed up so now its time for them to live up to their part of the deal. End of story.

What has screwed up this whole country is that certain people think they are entitled to benefits even tho not earned they feel they deserve. How they got this mindset is beyond me but it p-sses me off to no end. Certain Social Security, unemployment and work related disability benefits are something that just makes me madder than hell. But that's a whole other dilemma!!!

What needs to change is the meaning of the words "entitlement" and "deserved" and how they are used. It seems that they are used interchangebly. SS we paid into ,at a certain time if certain conditions have been met its time to start paying back the retirement money. If you did not pay into SS at all or very little you should not be "entitled" to a higher amount than what you DESERVE. But along the way they have changed the rules so now if you have a pulse you can apply and get it. Thats wrong plain wrong. Thats why the system is in trouble. But I digress.

Keep us all informed of the many unknown benefits available to Veterans
Old 02-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #30
Eddies66
VIP Member

"To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan" (Abraham Lincoln): the Department of Veterans Affairs polytrauma system of care.

Keep the Promise: http://www.military.com/veterans-day...r-promise.html

Last edited by Eddies66; 02-13-2014 at 05:42 PM.