HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-12-2015, 11:52 PM   #1
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Used dually recommendations and watchouts please

What are watchouts on 2005-2010 Fords and Dodges. What years have what issues? Prefer diesel - auto trans. I prefer GM, but may have to step outside the box a little to keep in budget.

What do you recommend in this range and why?

Sold my RV so now I am looking at upgrading trucks. Need to step up to a 4 door dually, probably 2 wheel drive. Not going to put a ton of miles on it, not a daily driver. Not planning to travel much racing over next few years, with kids young.

Currently have a 2003 Chevy extended cab 4x4 2500 Duramax. Got it new and just broke 100k. Great truck! Love the Duramax and Allison. But, kids have grown and dont fit in extended cab as well. Pulling a 32' triple axle with stocker and Jr. dragster. Good side is that I do have a good truck to pull with now, so can try to hold out for a deal.

Just want to know what to look out for, and make sure it really is a good deal when it comes along.

thanks,
Ken

Stock 412
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 57 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: Used dually recommendations and watchouts please

Dodge/Ram used 5.9 Cummins up to early 07. Later 07 on have 6.7 Cummins.

I have an 04 with a 6 speed manual. I know a few who have had 04-05 with automatics that had to replace converter. The closer you get to '10, the more emissions control is on them and the less mods you are (legally) allowed to do to them.

With Ford, plenty of folks didn't have real good luck with the 6.0 Powerstroke.

I also think Ford used a twin turbo 6.4 a couple years. Those probably have more expensive replacement parts when you need them.

If I lived in TX and towed mostly in flat country, I would not mess with a diesel. Just my opinion though.

Last edited by Chris1529; 06-15-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

What Chris said, my 2007 with 5.9 was best vehicle I've ever owned. Trick is finding one with lower mileage. The long distance haulers scoop them up. The newer ones with 6.7 are generally good, autos have the integrated brake. My son might sell his manual 2006 with only 31,000 miles but it's "just"' a 3/4 ton.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
magnumv8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've worked as an OEM upfitter for a number of years now so I've had the opportunity to work on the three model trucks you are interested in.....I would not recommend a used Ford in those model years because of most of the repair issues they may have been subject to before you get them, in other words you have no idea what may have already needed fixed and may happen again. I upfit brand new vehicles with less than 100 miles on them and with the Fords cracked hose clamps were a big issue for me since we were "married" to the truck once we upfit it.....we even had a couple blow head gaskets right in our service lot....The GM trucks haven't really been too much trouble and the Dodge/Ram have been pretty good also......What we have noticed is a major increase from our big utility companies switching from the Fords to the Rams because of service issues and fuel mileage.....

What I would look for is a Duramax or Ram/Cummins built before they were required to use DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid)....this will keep your costs down and your mileage higher, plus it is one less thing you need to make sure you have with you when travelling and lets you upgrade the exhaust system and intake for more towing power and fuel mileage.....

I have left my own vehicle choice out of the conversation and just offered the information I have from hands on experience with the above models, if you would like more info PM me with more questions....

D L Rambo....Stk 1300.....
magnumv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #5
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you all for the info. Exactly what I am looking for.
Keep it coming guys.

DL, sent you a PM.

Ken

Stock 412
Old 06-16-2015, 12:40 AM   #6
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

As a former owner of a 2004 Ford F350 4x4, 4 door, long bed 6.0 diesel I was
told my the service manager of my Ford Dealer to stay away from anything older
than a 2011 or newer with the 6.7 diesel.

I now have a 2015 34 foot class A motorhome with the Ford V10 and am happy
with it.

I agree if you are not doing a lot of towing and you like Fords go with a V10.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Maybe evaluate your tongue weight on the trailer to see if you need a dually since you have a diesel truck anyway. I had a 2002 duramax I had purchased new. It got about three mpg better than the 2007.5 I have now. I liked the other one, but it had 350,000 and I found a deal on a low mileage one. It has plenty of power, just worse mpg.

I would look for a 2006-2007 classic duramax. No dpf and easier to remove and replace injectors. Tons of power.

The 2007 and older dodge with cummins is hard to best, but you will have a hard time getting comfortable in a dodge if you like a Chevy. They just are not as comfortable.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #8
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 57 Times in 27 Posts

The 2007 and older dodge with cummins is hard to best, but you will have a hard time getting comfortable in a dodge if you like a Chevy. They just are not as comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Do you want it to ride good or pull anything you can hook behind it? .........lol
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:08 AM   #9
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1529 View Post
The 2007 and older dodge with cummins is hard to best, but you will have a hard time getting comfortable in a dodge if you like a Chevy. They just are not as comfortable.
Do you want it to ride good or pull anything you can hook behind it? .........lol[/QUOTE]

I like the cummins. It is a great engine, but I would not say it has more power than a duramax. It is less of a hassle to work on than a duramax though.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys.
Really like my 2500 Chevy Duramax, and love the Allison. Has power and tows good.

I need a 4 door crew cab. Kids have outgrown the extended cab back seat! I figure if I am going to trade, might as well get dually. Never know what the next trailer will be.

Tell me more about the 6.7 Cummins and their auto trans please.

Thanks

Ken

Stock 412