HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: Rocker Clarification is up!!!

Thanks, Ron! That makes sense, I guess, although I still wonder why something wasn't said about the rocker arm ratio in the amended rules.

Lew
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA

Last edited by Lew Silverman; 01-21-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Changed my mind!
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

This is still confusing, as the 2012 rulebook still states that guide plates can be installed, and the new rocker rule goes against that statement? Any thoughts Travis?

CAMSHAFT/LIFTERS
Camshaft must retain stock lift for horsepower claimed per NHRA
Technical Bulletins. Front-wheel-drive vehicles and stock trucks,
maximum lift is limited to .430-inch or OEM, whichever is greater.
Aftermarket OEM-type replacement lifters permitted. Lift checked at
valve retainer, with zero lash. Hydraulic lifter cam will be checked
with pushrod and rocker as run, plus solid lifter, at zero lash.
Plunger height of checking lifter will match extended height (no
preload) of hydraulic lifter. Hydraulic lifter may not be plugged or
bottomed. Aftermarket gear drives/belts prohibited. Aftermarket
timing covers permitted as long as OEM-type timing gears are
used. Adjustable pushrods or adjustable OEM rocker arms (not
both) permitted; must be same or greater weight as stock. Pushrod
guide plates permitted. Cylinder head may be clearanced for larger diameter
pushrods.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
STK1217

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Sean, all i see is about Stud Girdles being Prohibited.
STK1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
scott helms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I 'd call Southland Speed since they advertise on here and I don't see JEG'S on the site.....lol. But thats just me
Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,035 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK1217 View Post
Sean, all i see is about Stud Girdles being Prohibited.

Yeah, not the smartest rule they could make.

Scott Helms, check your PM's bro.

Last edited by Alan Roehrich; 01-20-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Alan Roehrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: Rocker Clarification is up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Silverman View Post
So if I show up with Harlan Sharp 1.7 roller rockers on my 327 I'm OK? Are they going to check the ratio?

Still a lot of "what if's"!

Lew
Some time back on another thread under the Tech section, we discussed push rod length and how to optimize it. Quite a lot of discussion resulted in the description of the desmodronic valvetrain commonly found in the various Kettering overhead valve engines. What it boiled down to in layman's language was that push rod length could affect rocker arm ratio.My 327 has a max allowable lift on the intakes of.390". That means that lobe length at the cam has to be .260" with a perfect 1.5 ratio rocker arm. We all know in the real world that nothing is ever perfect in consistant enough quantities to ever be counted on.The trick here is to have a valvetrain where the lobe lift is 2/3rds the valve lift. We discussed how a short pushrod with the same cam lift,rocker arm and lifter could result in a different lift at the valve than a long pushrod. The means for determining rocker arm ratios is to first determine valve lift at the retainer, as it's checked by NHRA,then divide that figure by the cam lobe lift, checked at the lifter,and it should verify the ACTUAL rocker arm ratio. With a roller tip rocker arm,some of the problems associated with OEM stamped arms vanish, but it will be interesting to see what new factors creep up as we start doing this.I am about to reassemble my 327 stocker motor soon, I'll compare results obtained with it as it goes together. I bought a new Dart block,had Gregg Luneack machine it and deck it, I'll soon see what possibly changed. The discussion we had on the Tech section a few months ago got so involved that before we were done, the various compilations of info resulted in a mini-textbook on push rod length. Fun reading!!
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
Reed Granrt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 View Post
Some time back on another thread under the Tech section, we discussed push rod length and how to optimize it. Quite a lot of discussion resulted in the description of the desmodronic valvetrain commonly found in the various Kettering overhead valve engines. What it boiled down to in layman's language was that push rod length could affect rocker arm ratio.My 327 has a max allowable lift on the intakes of.390". That means that lobe length at the cam has to be .260" with a perfect 1.5 ratio rocker arm. We all know in the real world that nothing is ever perfect in consistant enough quantities to ever be counted on.The trick here is to have a valvetrain where the lobe lift is 2/3rds the valve lift. We discussed how a short pushrod with the same cam lift,rocker arm and lifter could result in a different lift at the valve than a long pushrod. The means for determining rocker arm ratios is to first determine valve lift at the retainer, as it's checked by NHRA,then divide that figure by the cam lobe lift, checked at the lifter,and it should verify the ACTUAL rocker arm ratio. With a roller tip rocker arm,some of the problems associated with OEM stamped arms vanish, but it will be interesting to see what new factors creep up as we start doing this.I am about to reassemble my 327 stocker motor soon, I'll compare results obtained with it as it goes together. I bought a new Dart block,had Gregg Luneack machine it and deck it, I'll soon see what possibly changed. The discussion we had on the Tech section a few months ago got so involved that before we were done, the various compilations of info resulted in a mini-textbook on push rod length. Fun reading!!
Greg
I am playing with a couple of stocker motors at present and I am working with the cam grinder. In doing so I asked the cam grinder what ratio rocker did he develop the cam lobe around. He told me that in this case it was slightly less than the factory designed ratio because most will never be long. Almost all will be short on ratio. So I sat the rocker arm up upside down in the mill an used a laser beam to find my pivot point so that I could establish my pushrod "designed'" length. I then installed the cam between centers and plotted the area under curve. I then put the head on and lifter in with that rocker arm and using that laser determined pivot point, I adjusted a pushrod for my optimum lift. I then went thru the motion of determining area under the curve again and it followed area under the curve as a cam. Now I will move push rod lengths around a see area under the curve again and let you know what I find. But with the new rocker arm rule and the ability to make all rockers exactly the same correct ratio, I think we will see people adjusting pushrod more than ever just to get their lifts in spec and they may loose area under the curve as a result. My .02 worth
reed
Reed Granrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

So in the example that Greg gave with his 327, a camshaft with a lobe lift of .260 and a rocker arm ratio of 1.5 would give a theoretical lift at the spring retainer of .390, as specified. Could you not also use a camshaft with a lobe lift of .24375 and a rocker arm with a ratio of 1.6 to get the same lift at the retainer and still make spec? It would also, I think, open the valve faster and improve cylinder filling. Another reason to fabricate a head dyno!

Lew
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #19
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,035 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Silverman View Post
So in the example that Greg gave with his 327, a camshaft with a lobe lift of .260 and a rocker arm ratio of 1.5 would give a theoretical lift at the spring retainer of .390, as specified. Could you not also use a camshaft with a lobe lift of .24375 and a rocker arm with a ratio of 1.6 to get the same lift at the retainer and still make spec? It would also, I think, open the valve faster and improve cylinder filling. Another reason to fabricate a head dyno!

Lew
Unless the rule has changed, a 1.6:1 rocker arm on an engine that came with a 1.5:1 rocker arm is illegal in Stock Eliminator.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #20
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Don't see why ratio would matter as long as valve lift spec wasn't exceeded...Again, the spring pressure deal "opened" up this can of worms...

Would think though...that MOST stocker cam lobe profiles were created with the STOCK rocker arm ratio in mind....notice that I said MOST...but not ALL...
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote