HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Could a class war in Super Stock be re-established?
Yes, with the right committe in place 53 49.07%
No, not worth the work or whining 18 16.67%
Things should stay as they are and all hope is lost for a SS/AA class war to work 10 9.26%
I could care less 27 25.00%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: True Class War: Pros, Cons, and Why

Yep, that would be it, the post car. After thinking about it for awhile, I'm certain Noel bought the Corvette. Looking back at the pic above, that may be after Dad bought the Chevy 2. I see a yellow water spray can and I believe we used to have a yellow one. Memory is not as good as it used to be. Damn, it's been 20 years now

I also remember Jimmy's SS/E Camaro as well.

Last edited by Ronnie Smith Jr; 08-15-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Ronnie Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #12
Wade_Owens

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I took the 1st photo at an IHRA race in St Louis quite a few years ago. It was around 1992 or 3. I really dont remember much about the car, other than it was all over the track, and I never seen it run again...

Wade O
Wade_Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
Bob Rice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm pretty sure that the Chevy II was owned by the Stephens Brothers from TN prior to Wilcox.
Bob Rice
Bob Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:20 AM   #14
Aaron Keown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1664SSJA View Post
Somebody better in the know than me might be able to clear something up for me.

I seem to remember that there WAS a CORVETTE that could have run with the AH cars, but it was not allowed in and then they made some change in the rules to keep that Corvette, ( and probably any others out) keeping it just all Hemi cars.

Am I right? And who was the Corvette??????

Mark
That would be Mr. Conway Witten's corvette that you are thinking of.The car was already a very fast super/B car at the time that could outrun some of the hemi cars,somewhere along the line some people where upset about the car being as fast as it was in a lower class and some words were exchanged between Conway and some of the hemi guys.Well all this did was make Conway want to get in the same class with them so he got in the book and dug up a little engine called the LS-7,he then proceeded to let some of them know that next year he would be in the same class as them and that he would have 30 more inches and more compression to boot.Well you can guess what happened next,all hell broke loose and nhra banned the engine from competition.We also built the engine that was in Scotty's car at the time all this was happening.Wade,you said that you took the picture of Scotty's car,is that Kevin Gentry in the background and did you know him?
Aaron Keown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
denny harvey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

over the years the mopar guys have done what ever it took to keep the hemi at the top of the heep [ it is a fine engine design ] however it is not the only engine in the world as most mopar guys think,ever time some one goes out side the box with another combo they cry. the above ls7 vette and t-bolt fords can and have run with them..what was the last hemi ss/aa record and how far off is the vette that holds it now??i am not anti hemi but giving them a single brand class is just gay.allow all brands and open up to more combos,t-bolts,ac cobras etc,now mopar will say they never made enough of them, but i grew up in the muscle car days and i do recall those other cars running the street and tracks,just as many as i seen of the hemi cars.tell ford ace hawk he can build a ac cobra,but tell him it wont run with the hemi..lol
denny harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #16
Conway Witten

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1664SSJA View Post
Somebody better in the know than me might be able to clear something up for me.

I seem to remember that there WAS a CORVETTE that could have run with the AH cars, but it was not allowed in and then they made some change in the rules to keep that Corvette, ( and probably any others out) keeping it just all Hemi cars.

Am I right? And who was the Corvette??????

Mark
10-4 on that Conway Witten, LS-7 RIP!!
I wanted to do a ZR2 a lite weight road race corvette that would run AA, that's when they really started cryibng
Conway Witten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 938 Times in 259 Posts

I was under the impression that Jimmy Bridges current SS Corvette was formally the Scott Wilcox car. Can anybody confirm (or deny) that?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,034 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
I was under the impression that Jimmy Bridges current SS Corvette was formally the Scott Wilcox car. Can anybody confirm (or deny) that?
Jimmy and I were talking about that a while back, and we were trying to figure out where each car went. I think he'd found out a few things last time we talked, but we were still wondering about a couple of others. Like I said, there were a few of those cars around here, with various owners. I'll see Jimmy at Bowling Green, and I'll ask him. He's a living history book, every time we talk, I learn more, and have more fun.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #19
Bob Rice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was told that this Corvette is the car that Jimmy Bridges races. Don't know who owned it between Traffanstedt and Bridges though. I think the car was owned by Mike Robinson prior toTraffanstedt.
Bob Rice
Bob Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #20
Wade_Owens

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Keown View Post
Wade,you said that you took the picture of Scotty's car,is that Kevin Gentry in the background and did you know him?
Aaron, I didnt know who owned the car, or the gentleman you asked about. I was a pit rat at that time. I hadnt finished my Super Stock car yet, so, I was "spying", lol. I have always taken pictures at the track.........

Wade O
Wade_Owens is offline   Reply With Quote