HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 01-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
Tom Moock

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: 2008 CJ sold for 50k

Greg Hill, Maybe the car did not really sell for $50,000.00, because the owner repurchased the car back? Tom
Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #22
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Tom, this car was sold to a new owner because the reserve came off at the end of the auction. Mecum is not Barrett Jackson.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #23
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

""if you want to end up with a million dollars from racing - start with two million"

That's if you don't race too long.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 01-29-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #24
D.Johns

Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts

The old cars tanked in value also after being released. When times got bad people unloaded them like rats abandoning a sinking ship with gas crisis and other enconomic items. (Most)People did not buy the old hot rods because they were "investements" back in the day. They bought them to have fun and be seen. My parents had an 67 427 4 speed stingray. They sold the car because of gas prices skyrocketing and them starting a family. To view any car as an investment is down right dumb. Even cars that have appreciated took big hits it percieved value. And even today cars that have appreciated is not an indication that the they will continue to raise in value. The market is always changing. The current market wants type A/B/C while next generation may want type X/Y/Z. The cars are only worth what some one is willing to pay for them. CDs/Bonds etc are also not great investements but atleast they are garunteed to go up in value. The new cars may go up in value or they may not. Some model CJs were/are overpriced based on how much it would cost to build one yourself. The 08s were close to what it would cost to build your own and if prices continue to come down I would have started out with a real CJ to build for my hot rod. Unless some more come up with in the next year I will continue on with my plan on building a clone. I don't care about it appreciating in value as I know it probably won't. I only care about having a competitive race car that I have interest in.
It would cost 40-45K to build a competetive 08 yourself. So I think 50K isn't bad(you would still need to put another 5-10K in it to make it competive but it would be the real deal if thats important to you)
D.Johns is offline   Reply With Quote