HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
racer4919

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Diesel engine question

I am looking to buy a used toterhome. I find lots of them for sale with the Catapillar 3126 engine. I have heard a lot of bad about this engine, but thought I would ask here if anyone has had good or bad experience with it. Thanks, Wayne
racer4919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,869 Times in 641 Posts
Default Re: Diesel engine question

No personal experience but do know that some of the earlier models of this engine had trouble with the block cracking. I think these were late 90's and early 00's. Most cats are good motors but be prepared to shell some money out when you do have trouble. We run 2 kenworth's with cats and have had little trouble but when we do they have to go to the dealer because you have to have special tools to work on them in most cases. All of our logging equipment has cummins motors in them and they are much easier to maintain and work on in my opinion. I would try to find something with a cummins motor if it were me. Just my preference though. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

x2 on cummins
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

I have a freight liner fl70 with a 3126b cat motor. It is a motor home with a 26' box. It has 100,000 miles and I have had no problems with it. I would try and find something that has been well maintained. I am pulling a 28' stacker and my truck does okay until you get into hills.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
mr305

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to mr305

I happen to have some knowledge of these engines, in the past 2 weeks I have put 4 sleeves in the blocks that have came through my machine shop do to them cracking. Now they also do not offer a oversize piston for this engine but only repair sleeves so the cost of an engine overhaul is quite expensive as is all repairs with a cat engine. I can tell you this much if you can find one with a 8.3 ISC cummins in it you will be much happier with the power and fuel mileage. Plus they are somewhat affordable to work on an pretty straight forward. Happy hunting if you have anymore questions feel free to give me a shout at the shop 574-583-2888.
Aaron disinger
327y
Gt/ha
mr305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

We have an 8.3 Cummins in ourRV and rebuilt itlast year. It had one liner fail. Since we were paying a shop to do it, it made more sense to us togo all out and do all new liners and piston kits. The sleeves push out. They might have been able to do it in frame, but they preferred pulling the engine out the back and rebuilding it on a stand. It looked pretty straightforward. I think any engine with the removable sleeves is a smart move. I would see if you have a connection to a local shop familar with commercial diesels. They will tell you the pros and cons. None of the toters and rvs take the abuse the work trucks do. If they survive that torture, then it won't be a problem for a toter. I would look at the maintainance that was done. Some of the toters I have seen got zero upkeep and just a lot of run time. That can come back to haunt the next owner. One thing is the ph of the antifreeze. If it is not monitored, it can ruin liners or in the case of a cat for example, cause pinholes in the cylinder walls.You do need to know how much a total redo will cost and decide if you can stomach that if it comes up.

Last edited by james schaechter; 01-12-2013 at 03:06 PM.
james schaechter is offline   Reply With Quote