MEXJOE

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts
Question Blinder??

How many use a blinder?
What is the best set-up for one?

On your helmet ?
Sun visor????
Windshield??

How fast /or/ slow of a car can use one?
Thanks!
Glen DeMenge
MEXJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
MEXJOE

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts
Red face Re: Blinder??

Did I say something wrong??
MEXJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Talking Re: Blinder??

I don't believe that you said anything wrong. I for one do not have one, I am considering trying it. I have done allot of research on the subject and I have come up with explanations of focus, lights "bleeding" together etc. On one of the bracket web sites "This is bracket racing" there are several explanations on when and how blinders are used. I believe it is totally the racers choice. I do believe that it has to do with how well your car leaves, how well you "react" to a light coming on etc. I have seen blinders block the top bulb, one side of the tree entirely, I have seen hand held blinders also. But, in NHRA stock and super stock you can not have a blinder in the windshield aka "Tape". But you can have a proper one attached to the sunviser etc. I know this does not give you a answer to your question. But there are others out here asking the same question.

Robert
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: Blinder??

i have tried the helmet and one attached to the visor frame that just blocks two of the three yellow bulbs leaving the you to see the prestage bulbs,,your concetration has to be the best ,if your racing a slower car it can be a challenge to cut a good light because your waiting so long to see the yellow bulb it results in a late reaction time ,,the helmet deal is not easy as well because of keeping your head dead still while blocking the tree with out showing the second bulb allowing to see it while the tree drops ,,i have been good in cutting lights with a blinder and also have been real late as well

whats the reason?? going red or looking to better reaction ? also i run a two step off the foot brake ,i have to see way too much third yellow not to go red thats one of the reasons i tried the blinder gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
chevy620
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Blinder off visor mount, block one side with side flap so I cannot see the other car move. No matter how hard I tried my periphial vision always caught the other car if I was faster and it was evident on reaction times.

I tried a towel hanging down on side glass this week if I was in right lane...loved it. .019. .010. .021 the three times I used it in eliminaitons.

Now I have to try to get some velcro on the headliner and use it on my right side when I am in the left lane.

If you run at night, put a couple amber side marker lamps on back side of blinder to wash out the flash from the other ambers, it was major difference in our car.

Couldn't block the middle, car just wasn't quick enough (or I wasn't) to run just off bottom flash.

It's worth a try but it will take a while so don't give up until you have tried it 10 or 12 runs.

Good luck.

Jok
chevy620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

The slow guys that always leave first will tell you to focus and you won't see the other car move. LOL
Old 08-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Joe DeMarzo

Liked 114 Times in 9 Posts

Ed is this a bad time to bring up the worst red light vs first red light debate again, again, again...... LOL
Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
mannymen

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Chevy620. Using a towel is an old Ricky Adkins (very successful bracket racer) trick to block things out. He would actually drape it over his helmet to block out every distraction from either side . He would then let go of the TB button (super pro class) and then pull the towel off of his helmet and away he went.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
74fb461

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonde View Post

whats the reason?? going red or looking to better reaction ? also i run a two step off the foot brake ,i have to see way too much third yellow not to go red thats one of the reasons i tried the blinder gmonde

This is my problem right now, If I leave where i want to at 3100 on the fb using the 2 step, I have to wait too long on 3rd and end up real late or red. If I go down to 2-2300 its much better ,but the car is slower coming out etc. I was thinking of trying a blinder to block out just my 2 bulbs and my opponents whole tree other then his stage and pre stage so i know hes in.
74fb461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

I've found that distraction can definitely be a problem if you wear an open face helmet. I was surprised when I switched to a full face model how much it helped by blocking out peripheral vision.