HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Stocker pistons...

Luckily, i have a very experienced machinist, in the Stocker world, doing my engine....Bill Smith, Muncie, Indiana... He has done several Pontiacs, in the past...and they have all set records...so, i think i will be ok... And, yea...i know ring seal is very important. Its amazing how different things are, between a cheap bracket engine, and a Stocker engine. Ive always wanted to do this, and i know its gonna be costly. That being said, i will do the best shortblock , that i can. I will build from it... Im sure i wont hit the #'s that the rest of the E and F cars are hittin, right off the bat, but, if it were easy, everybody could do it, right?
I appreciate all the feedback... Its guys like y'all, that can speed this process up, a ton, and not let guys like me, make too many costly mistakes...
Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

You should contact the McKinneys if you are close to Muncie.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They are good friends of mine... have known them most of my life... Unfortunately, Roy passed away in 2009... Mike still races(along with his son Marty), they dont run class anymore. But, their E/S bird(Truman's original car) sure ran good... Bill Smith(the guy thats doin mine)done some of their class engines... I grew up watching them run...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #14
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Which 400 are you building? I think you have a '68 Firebird so I think the one to build is the RAII. I know those '69's with the RAIV haul some serious MPH behind their tails! They get the clutch right and they will just about have the quickest in class.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
Which 400 are you building? I think you have a '68 Firebird so I think the one to build is the RAII. I know those '69's with the RAIV haul some serious MPH behind their tails! They get the clutch right and they will just about have the quickest in class.
Shoot, Jeff... i cant afford any Ram Air II stuff...hehe... im building the 330hp dport combo... E/SA natural... may add weight for ''F"... not sure yet...
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #16
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

The Ram2 is a good combo, the problem is the heads are almost impossible to find. When you do they are 2500.00 +. The D port combo is a good combo still.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

Quote:
To be more clear on my prior post, I was specifically referring to the valve pockets ONLY on the JE pistons. And to be fair to JE, that was years ago (about the time that CP was new to our market) and JE may have fixed the issue. In fact, they may be cutting the ring lands with a laser by now. So ask.

I suppose the question to ask any piston maker is a) what are the control tolerances on the ring lands, and b) what defines the valve notch (or dome or dish as it may be)? There's a lot more to it as well. How is the skirt ground?
And some pistons will be perfectly legal yet yield a higher compression ratio.

Realistically, you should have your machinist order the pistons and ask all the questions. If he's an experienced engine builder and knows how to make power, let him do what he has to do. And you have to take into account bore diameter and ring package availability. I've spent upwards of $1200 on rings because they were a bastard size. Now that NHRA allows a larger bore size than in the past, it's worked out for me as I can now get something closer to the common 4.250". That will save a lot of money!

You gotta take it all in and I'd say the last consideration should be the price!
Ring seal...ring seal...ring seal!
Ring seal on a 4.25" AMC ! Good Luck !
Better have that block filled solid to the deck.
And yes I speak from experiance.
BTW JE is now owned by Weisco.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Jeff,
I believe what you are talking about on valve pockets is on TRW pistons most of them the valve pockets are'nt machined they are made when piston is forged,so pockets vary in depth and location.They vary because they are there before rest of piston is machined.
Anyone that has ever flycut a piston w/pockets forged will tell you they are inconsistent for depth and location.
I'm sure JE or any other piston maker would'nt rely on a piston with forged valve pockets to locate there valve pockets,all that info is going to come from there programs that will have valve pocket locations,spacing etc.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
DonatoEng

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Jeff, you looking for a 4.25" thick wall AMC block ?
I happen to have one of the original race blocks on the shelf.
John
DonatoEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, i havent seen a pic of any of these pistons... I wonder if the valve reliefs are all machined...?