HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Anyone here race an inline six?

Hmmm, the car is REALLY clean and low mileage. I was down to it or Ed suggested a Rambler American, which I also have one of. Guess I have some thinking to do. Thanks so much everyone.
Joe Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Oh yeah, I don't have a rulebook at hand yet, could anyone maybe tell me what class the Fairmont would fall into? It's a coupe.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

I don't see a Fairmont that's any good.
Here's your car : 79 Aspen 2 dr cpe, 225 2bbl @ 140 hp ...V/SA.
Easy to build low gearset 904, using the later OD parts

Stay in the 6 cyl class...V

Case closed.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #14
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 334 Times in 132 Posts

In another post, you indicated that the Fairmont was an '80. The 200 in that year is 85hp, factored to 140. It's a natural "R" car and I think it would be tough to get that combo to be competetive. You could run at 2690 min. in "R" and would need to make around 180 flywheel hp to run the index(14.35). I don't know if the '80 carb is larger than my '72; the head is considered to be a little better. It has larger intake valves and larger chambers but the pistons are also flat top compared to the earlier dish. Can't tell you much about the runners - yet. Cam lift is the same. My Maverick is almost as light and is a natural "V" package. A second and a half is a bunch between "R" and "V".

My uneducated evaluation.
Dave Turner #1153
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #15
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

WOW, this has been an eye opener! Just when I think the Mopar is a goner, here's a good case for it, though I don't have one at the ready, except access to a 78 wagon. When I think more about the Ford, hmm, not so good. The Rambler is still an open case though...

How long did it take you guys to figure out what to build, and why did you build the combos you did, if I may ask? I'm looking for all the insight I can before picking up a wrench...
Old 01-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #16
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Lightbulb Re: Anyone here race an inline six?

I suspect that many of us arrived upon the scene without a lot of research. A "good buy" presented itself and it followed us home. Some have been racing in the category long enough to have learned what combination fits their preferences. Everyone has different priorities and concepts of the ideal Stock Eliminator "blueprint". I purchased a car with a 6cyl drivetrain which had already been campaigned as a stocker. My intent was to convert it to a Crate Motor car as finances allowed. I decided, however, that I could learn the science of the sport with the current set-up and have some fun being different.

The best piece of advice I can offer would be to make sure that you stay within a self imposed budget and never lose sight of the goals you have set......where's my checkbook??
Dave Turner #1153
Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Smile Re: Anyone here race an inline six?

My main goal was to get a car going and see what it could do. I have always been fascinated with what you guys can do with such tight parameters to work in. I have no problem with a slower car, my first drag car was my street car, running 15.45's, and I won a few times with it. I think slower cars can be much more dangerous lol. I love the parity and challenges of this class more than worrying about speed, which is why stubborn me wants to build rather than buy. I only have one track with a divisional race near me, (only 3 tracks total in Montana), but I have a track here that runs 8 times a year so I have a place to try out things. Worst case scenario is I have some good knowledge and stories to share and a potentially good bracket car! I know it'll take alot of time and money, but I've wanted to do this for a few years now. I never did, mainly because I didn't know a place like this existed where I could get some good advice beforehand.

A silly part of me would love to have a national record, even if for a day. Wonder what fits in W/SA?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #18
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraceitall View Post
My main goal was to get a car going and see what it could do. I have always been fascinated with what you guys can do with such tight parameters to work in. I have no problem with a slower car, my first drag car was my street car, running 15.45's, and I won a few times with it. I think slower cars can be much more dangerous lol. I love the parity and challenges of this class more than worrying about speed, which is why stubborn me wants to build rather than buy. I only have one track with a divisional race near me, (only 3 tracks total in Montana), but I have a track here that runs 8 times a year so I have a place to try out things. Worst case scenario is I have some good knowledge and stories to share and a potentially good bracket car! I know it'll take alot of time and money, but I've wanted to do this for a few years now. I never did, mainly because I didn't know a place like this existed where I could get some good advice beforehand.

A silly part of me would love to have a national record, even if for a day. Wonder what fits in W/SA?
In NHRA, 4cyl cars exclusively.
Dave Turner #1153
Old 01-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #19
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

One point then I'll go away.Why build a 6 cylinder,low compression,no carb,looking at cars coming at you at up to 40-50 mph.In other words slow inconsistant combos when he has a car already to put a small v-8 with a good carb and a decent hp factor?If I knew then what I know now I would have that v-8 car now.

Ed F.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #20
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
One point then I'll go away.Why build a 6 cylinder,low compression,no carb,looking at cars coming at you at up to 40-50 mph.In other words slow inconsistant combos when he has a car already to put a small v-8 with a good carb and a decent hp factor?If I knew then what I know now I would have that v-8 car now.

Ed F.
Amen.
Dave Turner #1153