HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #41
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts
Default Re: Stick car, too much clutch?

Different things work for different cars. I know two guys(very fast) that not only do they not run cw they cut off the ears on the levers where the cw mounts to. I haven't had the guts to try that yet because once you go there you can't go back. My 327 ran alot better with no cw at all. I was only running 150 base also. You could start the car put it in gear and get out and it wouldn't move. I still have to figure out what the 283 is going to want. Alot depends on rpm also. You can run real low base if your leaving at 8400-8600.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #42
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

If you are trying to leave and shift at the same RPM CW is useless.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #43
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

To align the bell housing, I thread a long spring center bolt into the crank with a jam nut, and mount the dial indicator on it. I also check to make sure the bell housing mounting surface is parallel to the crank mounting surface--it sometimes is not!
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #44
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

WOW , I wonder how many of the opinion posters are clutch assisted? I'll bet NONE................
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #45
acme383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuces wild View Post
Different things work for different cars. I know two guys(very fast) that not only do they not run cw they cut off the ears on the levers where the cw mounts to. I haven't had the guts to try that yet because once you go there you can't go back. My 327 ran alot better with no cw at all. I was only running 150 base also. You could start the car put it in gear and get out and it wouldn't move. I still have to figure out what the 283 is going to want. Alot depends on rpm also. You can run real low base if your leaving at 8400-8600.
If you look at a softlok, the levers are very meaty on the counter weight side. Even with NO c.w. there is stll a certain amount of c.w. involved. That's why your friend cut off the end of the levers. Just bringing people up to speed in case they didn't know.
acme383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #46
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

What is your point? Is that a shot toward some one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
WOW , I wonder how many of the opinion posters are clutch assisted? I'll bet NONE................

Last edited by Todd Hoven; 01-21-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: content
Todd Hoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #47
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
Well I don't own any clutchless trannys so does that help you any?
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #48
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
What is your point? Is that a shot toward some one?
Not unless you took it that way.
The point is / was, from my understanding the disruption of power with a clutch assisted trans usually requires CW for recovery.
Clutchless is a diff animal.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #49
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme383 View Post
If you look at a softlok, the levers are very meaty on the counter weight side. Even with NO c.w. there is stll a certain amount of c.w. involved. That's why your friend cut off the end of the levers. Just bringing people up to speed in case they didn't know.
It does matter on who's levers your looking at. For the most part your statement is correct. My Ram non CW levers had a lot of built in CW mass. So I bought their CW levers, those also had even more built in CW mass. Then I tried Hyatt billet levers, those were better, but still a lot of mass for my combination. Then what some consider the trick of the week clutch. These levers have pockets milled, and are very thin. These have a considerably better tuning window for my car. Data acquisition has shown how much, and for how long the CW is influencing slip. With the others everything was a trade off.

Joe now you did it!

Now you are going to open a whole new can of worms on using the clutch pedal or not using it! Have a good one.

Sean

Last edited by Sean Marconette; 01-21-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Removed comment
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #50
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

"The point is / was, from my understanding the disruption of power with a clutch assisted trans usually requires CW for recovery."

CW is not required if there is enough base clamp load. If the torque of the engine (which is what slips a clutch) is higher at take-off rpm, say 4000, and the base is just enough to hold there, then you have more than enough base pressure=clamp load at shift rpm where torque is lower.

What seems to be often done is to have the base lower than that, with the CW contribution at 4000 just enough to give a bit of slippage to prevent bogging the engine. Then, at shift rpm, the combined base and CW clamping loads are enough for full lockup. Of course, the CW contribution increases with rpm whereas the base stays the same.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote