HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
Paul Plummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stock/Superstock Association Spokane, WA

In an effort to support our local track and bring new blood into stock and superstock class racing I am wondering if there is any interest in starting a local association with more liberal rules than the sanctioning bodies impose so that we can start building an affordable local/regional series. The local track management seems open to new ideas so either reply to this post or send me an email.
Paul Plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
Dion Hildebrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Stock/Superstock Association Spokane, WA

Put me down for support of this assoc. although I am up in Calgary I have no problem towing down to Spokane , going to be there for the divisional next weekend!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Paul Plummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like we now have three (my friend John Langdon doesn;t know it yet-lol) - we now have a start! I look forward to meeting you at the division race in Spokane next week-end. Please email me your contact information, if it looks like we can generate enough interest I will keep everyone up to date on the progress of getting this project off the ground.

If you know of any other racers in your area who may have ET cars that are pretty close to meeting the stock/superstock rules please encourage them to send me their info as well.

One association in the Midwest is allowing cars that look feel and smell like a stocker or superstocker although they may not have a $20K-$50K class legal mill under the hood.

Loosening up the rules a bit to include cars that are close will hopefully get some of these people hooked on stock and superstock class racing without them having to sell the farm to build a car.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Larry Fulton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Plummer View Post
Looks like we now have three (my friend John Langdon doesn;t know it yet-lol) - we now have a start! I look forward to meeting you at the division race in Spokane next week-end. Please email me your contact information, if it looks like we can generate enough interest I will keep everyone up to date on the progress of getting this project off the ground.

If you know of any other racers in your area who may have ET cars that are pretty close to meeting the stock/superstock rules please encourage them to send me their info as well.

One association in the Midwest is allowing cars that look feel and smell like a stocker or superstocker although they may not have a $20K-$50K class legal mill under the hood.

Loosening up the rules a bit to include cars that are close will hopefully get some of these people hooked on stock and superstock class racing without them having to sell the farm to build a car.
This sounds like IHRA Stock / Super Stock doesn't it??
Old 07-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Sean Kennedy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Sean Kennedy

The problem seems to be up here it's hard to get any class guys to show up for anything less than a divisonal race. Most of them won't even run national opens it seems like. The other issue is that if you loosen up the rules, most stock racers don't like racing 'bracket' guys, even though is just a glorified bracket race.

The only way to make it work is to have a really good payout. Something like 100$ to win, and hopefully pays at least 1000 to win. If you can get 20 - 30 cars you can do that and actually pay out some round money too.

I don't have a stock legal motor in my car at the moment, but if the rules are more lax I would be interested.
Sean Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
Paul Plummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kennedy View Post
The problem seems to be up here it's hard to get any class guys to show up for anything less than a divisonal race. Most of them won't even run national opens it seems like. The other issue is that if you loosen up the rules, most stock racers don't like racing 'bracket' guys, even though is just a glorified bracket race.

The only way to make it work is to have a really good payout. Something like 100$ to win, and hopefully pays at least 1000 to win. If you can get 20 - 30 cars you can do that and actually pay out some round money too.

I don't have a stock legal motor in my car at the moment, but if the rules are more lax I would be interested.
Great input......actually it would be great to get some of the existing stock & superstock guys interested in the association but for many great reasons, cost, travel, payouts, etc. likely an exercise in futility.

I think the main focus of the local/regional association would be attracting "new blood", people who have always wanted to class race or people who class raced in the past but were eliminated based on the high cost to compete. People like you who may not have a legal class motor but who's car is for all intents a stocker.

As far as format goes the collective association would need to agree on the format, classifications,rules etc. As far as format, here is something some of the other groups are doing.

The eliminator would be just like stock eliminator is today without the mandatory heads-up if two cars in the same class happen to get paired up. Yes, just foot brake bracket racing - the only difference is no one will have to play the shut-off at 1000' game to avoid the heads-up race. This would get a lot of newbies into the association and everyone would have a fair shot at winning an event.

More importantly, each event would also have a class race. This would offer something for the go fast guys to run every round heads-up, plus offer the fans something they can actually understand (no shoe polish and the first one to the end wins).

In its infancy, the association would probably not have a large enough draw to have many cars in each class. So until we could get this association built up maybe the class event starts out as some class/heads-up racing and some grudge racing - still heads-up and still fun for fans and racers.

At the end of the day, if we could organize a group of 20-30 racers who would be willing to attend 1-3 events per summer I think we could put together a great association and some fun drag racing.

If we can get this off the ground, I will gladly donate all of the time and effort to get this organized as well as put up some $$ to sponsor the class/association events.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Toby Lang
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Jody went to the divisional there last year and he was parked in an area that had goat heads. They said they were going to get rid of them. Do you know if they're still there? I think I will be going to the divisional next weekend. Should I take my street tires for the front?

-Toby
Toby Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Paul Plummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would bring the street tires just to be safe. They have made quite a few improvements to the facility but as of about 4 weeks ago the area where they had us park last year stills look about the same.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
Toby Lang
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Plummer View Post
I would bring the street tires just to be safe. They have made quite a few improvements to the facility but as of about 4 weeks ago the area where they had us park last year stills look about the same.

Thanks, I will bring them. Maybe I will see you there. Have a good one.

-Toby
Toby Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
Larry Fulton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Lang View Post
Jody went to the divisional there last year and he was parked in an area that had goat heads." " Should I take my street tires for the front?"
-Toby
For those not familiar with "Goat Heads" they are a small thorn that when dried out, is more than a nuisance with lite weight front tires and slicks... and the palms of your hands!

While changing a slick that had gone flat because of these damn things, I had a thorn spine go into the fleshy part of my hand so deep, that I had to go to the emergency room for treatment. (Yakima (WA) Points Race was infamous for these damn things.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goathead3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	4207   Click image for larger version

Name:	goathead.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	4208