GARY WRIGHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Jeff Lee info

On hydralic throw-out bearings

GARY WRIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:40 PM   #2
Jeff Lee

What, I don't even get a happy face?
So much I don't know....but if you want my opinion I don't feel they belong on a race clutch in a race car. I'm no engineer either but you could not convince me they would release at a fast enough rate. Why? Because the whole premis is fluid transfering thru holes. Could be wrong though....wouldn't be the first time!

NHRA #7494 SS/H
1970 AMC AMX 390
"Best Appearing" @ NHRA '06 Pacific Sports Nationals
Arizona's BEST Realtor supports racers!
Now celebrating 14 years as a Realtor,
Call me @ 602-418-9797 or JeffLeeAzRealty@Qwest.net
Old 03-31-2007, 01:59 AM   #3
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

I got talked into one for my Chevy II. I was told how great it was going to be. Yes I agree with Jeff the reaction time was slow with it but I guess you could adjust to that.Well it took a s--- at my first race. It over extended the fingers on the clutch and bent the hell out of them. Im in the process of installing the old school linkage as we speak. It also cost around 400.00 to 500.00 dollars when all is said and done with hoses,slave cylinder and stuff. Just my opinion. I have one for sale if interested.

Ed Carpenter

66 Chevy II

4244 SS/H
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Bryan Broaddus

Liked 18 Times in 3 Posts

One thing about a hydralic throw out bearing is you could tune the hit of the clutch by limiting the blead down time upon release. This could also be helpful it tuning the reaction time of the car. Or put a line lock in series with it and leave from a button. That should get Jeff worked up!!!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Jeff Lee

I'm not talking about reaction time, I'm talking about the extra time it takes the clutch disk to disengage from the flywheel surface. If not released immediately, that will allow more time for the disk to slip and it will eventually burn up.
Now if you want the killer vehicle reaction time and not burn up a clutch, I would suspect those electro-magnetic units that hold / release the clutch pedal to the floor would be the ticket. And I'll bet almost any racer would need a delay box at that point. NHRA doesn't allow these units in Stock or Superstock.
But as Bryan wants me to get all hyped up about, you can have an auto transmission with a trans-brake (same concept as the electro-magnetic clutch pedal holder), and a built in delay (either via a long throw switch, hydraulic type switch, both located within driver reach during a run, or you can have a transmission with built in delay devices that are adjustable based on driver reaction time; all possible by varying the bleed down rate of the reverse band of the clutch.
So I'm all ear's as to why NHRA / IHRA doesn't allow the same technology offered auto-trans racers to stick racers? As you can see, the technology is transferable from one transmission type to the other.

NHRA #7494 SS/H
1970 AMC AMX 390
"Best Appearing" @ NHRA '06 Pacific Sports Nationals
Arizona's BEST Realtor supports racers!
Now celebrating 14 years as a Realtor,
Call me @ 602-418-9797 or JeffLeeAzRealty@Qwest.net
Old 04-01-2007, 12:56 AM   #6
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

One of the winninest bracket racers out here used a delay box hooked to his hyd throw-out bearing. '56 Chevy 4 speed. Guy kicked major *** ALL of the time.

"The less I race the crankier I get..."
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote