HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #141
CMcAllister

Liked 737 Times in 206 Posts
Default Re: If an advocate could be found - what would you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
I'm not surprised at all. Talking to nhra employees has not provided much in the way of results.
I hate to be a pessimist (realist), but I'm afraid this is how it is. The Company makes decisions, based on it's own idea of what's in it's best interests, secure in the belief that it knows better than anyone. Any solicitation of opinions is just lip service.

When the top pro stars of the sport get ignored when they have a concern or suggestion, why would anyone reading this expect that anything they have to say matters.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #142
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,772 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcAllister View Post
I hate to be a pessimist (realist), but I'm afraid this is how it is. The Company makes decisions, based on it's own idea of what's in it's best interests, secure in the belief that it knows better than anyone. Any solicitation of opinions is just lip service.

When the top pro stars of the sport get ignored when they have a concern or suggestion, why would anyone reading this expect that anything they have to say matters.
I can't hit the "like" button because I don't "like" it. But I do "agree" with it.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #143
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
I can't hit the "like" button because I don't "like" it. But I do "agree" with it.
Agree that trying to make a case for increasing quotas before the nhra is a waste of time. But nhra has shown over the years that it mostly listens to money. That's why we need to get the word out to the major sponsors. nhra will never be able to get rid of all Sportsman Racers and legitimately hold on to it's not for profit status. But they can continue to whittle down the National event quotas to the point that it chases off most of the racers. Then throw up their hands and say " what the hey they wondered off."

Sportsman Racers are a financially robust group and have the where-with-all to fill races with quotas of 90 cars per Category at most National Events. Nothing is easy when dealing with the nhra (even for the Pros) but I don't think it would be impossible to think that a major sponsor could require a certain number of Sportsman Racers be admitted to any event they sponsor. Not all Sponsors are created equal and some may have no interest in working with us but at least one wants to hear us out.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #144
SS/1230

Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Somebody please enlighten me to these alleged important issues and the implied failing health of NHRA Sportsman Racing.
I'm not entirely sure how the issues aren't obvious. Contingency for one has become a joke. Even if you do win, you have to fight for every penny. That's only if the company doesn't create a loophole (i.e Weld racing rims creating a "purchase in the last 3 years" rule. Who the hell buys rims every 3 years). How about the lack of payout for divisional and national level? Entry fees continue to go up, yet the pay outs go down.The reason national events have been lowering quota lists is because it becomes a 6 round race. Meaning that if you get to the final 4 cars (semi-finals), and you lose, they only have to pay you 5th round loss money and not semi-final money. Which is less than if you were in the semi-final of a 7 round race, another $$ loophole. I've experience that first hand at a national event. Also, at the divisional level, they pay $250 for semi-final loss in a 7 round race in super stock. That's a joke, when it cost $225 for my wife and I to get in. What about all the merchandise and promo stuff racers used to get at the gates of a National event? If anyone still has their blue Powerade cooler they'll know what I'm saying. (As an example) I remember getting that cooler full with random stuff. That was when National Event were $210, and if you won or R/U Valvoline would pay you at the track for every sticker without question. Now you win less $, can't get paid from contingency, and it cost $370 to get into a national event. I don't know how any of this can show how NHRA is treating sportsman racers the way they should. I think we're the back bone of NHRA, the passion of this sport, and we get treated the worst. How many racers are under 35 that are able to pay and race on their own budget without a 1st generation paying the way? I'd say less that 2%. They are making it impossible to attract new young blood and for the current ones survive. When the older generation of racers retire, what generation will continue to make the sportsman ranks grow? No such thing as racing on a budget anymore. They turned it into a rich mans sport, and they wonder why car counts are down... their solution, "lets just lower qoutas then, problem solved..."

Last edited by SS/1230; 02-20-2019 at 12:50 PM.
SS/1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #145
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,225 Times in 594 Posts

I remember a story of a west coast racer having so much stuff when he returned from Indy years ago he was glad that he raced a station wagon so it would all fit. Times certainly have changed.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #146
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS/1230 View Post
The reason national events have been lowering quota lists is because it becomes a 6 round race. Meaning that if you get to the final 4 cars (semi-finals), and you lose, they only have to pay you 5th round loss money and not semi-final money. Which is less than if you were in the semi-final of a 7 round race, another $$ loophole. I've experience that first hand at a national event.
All-in-all a great post, but let's keep the complaints legitimate. I can't speak for past flyers but today, there is no 'semi-final money' in the purse listing.

I don't think they are turning away 10-20 entry fees so they can screw the semi-finalists out of $100 each.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #147
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure how the issues aren't obvious. Contingency for one has become a joke. Even if you do win, you have to fight for every penny. That's only if the company doesn't create a loophole (i.e Weld racing rims creating a "purchase in the last 3 years" rule. Who the hell buys rims every 3 years).
How is that NHRA's fault or doing. The fact is many in the aftermarket performance industry no longer see the benefit to pay us for using their product, we are going to buy it regardless and it's no longer a marketing tool with internet websites and social media. As I stated in a previous post, not one company that I'm aware of has closed their doors after pulling out of the contingency program and I'll bet it has help most if not all's bottom line. That said, there are still companies that want to support racers and the NHRA and do.

Quote:
How about the lack of payout for divisional and national level? Entry fees continue to go up, yet the pay outs go down.The reason national events have been lowering quota lists is because it becomes a 6 round race. Meaning that if you get to the final 4 cars (semi-finals), and you lose, they only have to pay you 5th round loss money and not semi-final money. Which is less than if you were in the semi-final of a 7 round race, another $$ loophole. I've experience that first hand at a national event.
That's your assumption not fact.

Quote:
Also, at the divisional level, they pay $250 for semi-final loss in a 7 round race in super stock. That's a joke, when it cost $225 for my wife and I to get in.
it is what it is, no one is forcing you to play the game.

Quote:
What about all the merchandise and promo stuff racers used to get at the gates of a National event? If anyone still has their blue Powerade cooler they'll know what I'm saying. (As an example) I remember getting that cooler full with random stuff. That was when National Event were $210, and if you won or R/U Valvoline would pay you at the track for every sticker without question. Now you win less $, can't get paid from contingency, and it cost $370 to get into a national event.
refer back to my comments about contingency sponsors.

Quote:
I don't know how any of this can show how NHRA is treating sportsman racers the way they should. I think we're the back bone of NHRA, the passion of this sport, and we get treated the worst.
Your opinion. All I know is what I see with my own eyes. Divisionals with 300-400 cars on the property and National event quotas that are easily fill and some racers complaining they can't get in. That tells the NHRA they are doing it right!

Quote:
How many racers are under 35 that are able to pay and race on their own budget without a 1st generation paying the way? I'd say less that 2%. They are making it impossible to attract new young blood and for the current ones survive. When the older generation of racers retire, what generation will continue to make the sportsman ranks grow? No such thing as racing on a budget anymore. They turned it into a rich mans sport, and they wonder why car counts are down... their solution, "lets just lower qoutas then, problem solved..."
1. your assumption.
2. young men today 17-30 are not interested in cars no mind racing.
3. ALL racing is on life support and has been for decades.
4. Racing was always expensive. I couldn't afford to compete nor could my friends when we were younger. I started when I was 30. I'll also say the NHRA never had a marketing program to attract new racers and grow.
5. you want change? Get 100s of racers to boycott divisionals and national events. Good luck with that.
Bottomline is the world changed, nothing is the same as it was least of which drag racing. Enjoy it while you still can, I will.

Last edited by 1320racer; 02-21-2019 at 08:35 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #148
SS/1230

I understand your stance and your beliefs on some of these things. However (1320racer)....."How is that NHRA's fault or doing. The fact is many in the aftermarket performance industry no longer see the benefit to pay us for using their product, we are going to buy it regardless and it's no longer a marketing tool with internet websites and social media. As I stated in a previous post, not one company that I'm aware of has closed their doors after pulling out of the contingency program and I'll bet it has help most if not all's bottom line. That said, there are still companies that want to support racers and the NHRA and do." I personally dont care about the companies bottom line, I care about mine. We buy a product, we win, they pay us. You'd think it would be that easy. However, I get what you are saying here but you'd be crazy to think that the contingency sponsors and NHRA don't have some kind of contract that NHRA benefits from. The goal is to get us to buy the products and if we win, they pay us *if it fits the stipulations*. And guess what, even if we buy the product, and its not within the limitations, NHRA and the company still get paid. Only person who doesn't is us. NHRA is making their money and could care less if we get ours. So they play a hand in that.... NHRA isn't innocent in that sense.

Next, you think that the quotas are my assumption, not fact. But its fact that I got to the semi-final (4 cars) at a national in a 6 round race, and won 5th round loss money. $100 or not, its still a way for them to cut payout... fact.

Next, "it is what it is, no one is forcing you to play the game", doesn't mean I have to like it, and I know a majority feel the same way I do even though they still play the game.

Next, when was the last time you saw 300-400 cars at EVERY divisional in D-1? for the exception of 2018, I think Virginia had less that 50 cars in SS each of the last 3 years prior to that. Epping doesn't draw many cars either (50's in SS).. The only track that drew the most cars every year was E-town, and obviously you cant race there anymore. 2018 @ Epping: 17 cars in SG, 35 in SC, 27 in SST, 12 in Comp, 52 in SS, and 92 in stock.. thats 235 cars if you're counting.

I'm going to continue to race because its what I love to do. Fortunately I'm 1 of few young men today who is 32 and who is interested in cars and appreciates what we do. But being someone who has been around racing their whole life, I cant help but notice the changes, doesn't mean I have to like them. "Bottomline is the world changed, nothing is the same as it was least of which drag racing.." That I can agree with.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #149
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
I personally dont care about the companies bottom line, I care about mine. We buy a product, we win, they pay us. You'd think it would be that easy. However, I get what you are saying here but you'd be crazy to think that the contingency sponsors and NHRA don't have some kind of contract that NHRA benefits from. The goal is to get us to buy the products and if we win, they pay us *if it fits the stipulations*. And guess what, even if we buy the product, and its not within the limitations, NHRA and the company still get paid. Only person who doesn't is us. NHRA is making their money and could care less if we get ours. So they play a hand in that.... NHRA isn't innocent in that sense.
you know what the contingency sponsor's requirements are to collect before you put their decal on your car. If you don't that's on you. That said, I'll say again, it doesn't matter, we are buying their products regardless and none of them pay unless you get to the final which the majority of racers don't and never do.

Quote:
Next, you think that the quotas are my assumption, not fact. But its fact that I got to the semi-final (4 cars) at a national in a 6 round race, and won 5th round loss money. $100 or not, its still a way for them to cut payout... fact.
they are infact your assumption and the payout information is known before you enter.

Quote:
Next, "it is what it is, no one is forcing you to play the game", doesn't mean I have to like it, and I know a majority feel the same way I do even though they still play the game.
another assumption. If you're right and I'm wrong, go get hundreds of racers to boycott 1 divisional and 1 national event.

Quote:
Next, when was the last time you saw 300-400 cars at EVERY divisional in D-1? for the exception of 2018, I think Virginia had less that 50 cars in SS each of the last 3 years prior to that. Epping doesn't draw many cars either (50's in SS).. The only track that drew the most cars every year was E-town, and obviously you cant race there anymore. 2018 @ Epping: 17 cars in SG, 35 in SC, 27 in SST, 12 in Comp, 52 in SS, and 92 in stock.. thats 235 cars if you're counting.
There were over 300 cars at every divisional in D1 I attended last season which were all except Virginia and at most it rained some if not every day.

Quote:
I'm going to continue to race because its what I love to do. Fortunately I'm 1 of few young men today who is 32 and who is interested in cars and appreciates what we do. But being someone who has been around racing their whole life, I cant help but notice the changes, doesn't mean I have to like them. "Bottomline is the world changed, nothing is the same as it was least of which drag racing.." That I can agree with.
the decline in all of motorsports started when you were in diapers. Again, stop complaining and concerning yourself with who has the $ and who is getting paid and enjoy what we do while you still can. If $ is why you do this, quit and go bracket racing. THAT'S where the BIG $ is for racers.

Last edited by 1320racer; 02-21-2019 at 10:07 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #150
SS/1230

The decline in all of motorsports started when you were in diapers. Again, stop complaining and concerning yourself with who has the $ and who is getting paid and enjoy what we do while you still can. If $ is why you do this, quit and go bracket racing. THAT'S where the BIG $ is for racers.[/QUOTE]

Pretty clear I don't do it for the money..do any of us (other than the few full time sportsman)?

"There were over 300 cars at every divisional in D1 I attended last season which were all except Virginia and at most it rained some if not every day.".. I gave you Epping as well, and Virginia 3 years prior (not rain related). I specifically looked on DRC to prove my point.... **Epping 235 cars.**

I'm definitely not a boycott'er... and I don't push my opinions on other people. But I do talk to a lot of racers with the same feelings as me, that still show up to all 6 divisionals. So your point is made that I couldn't get 100 racers to boycott, but I could absolutely get you 100 racers (probably more) that are currently unhappy about the same things and think NHRA screws the sportsman.. is that a fair compromise?

I see you're from NJ, try moving to Long Island and tell me you still want to go to 6 divisionals...ha

At least our chat is getting shorter with each thread lol...
Liked