HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 08-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
Bruce Gibson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Lighter wheels = any E.T reduction?

Anyone have real world honest results in E.T. reduction when replacing standard type centerline wheels with really light wheels?
Bruce Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts
Default Re: Lighter wheels = any E.T reduction?

I have done extensive back to back testing with lighter wheels, lighter drive shafts, gun drilled axles, alum spools and any other low weight rotating part that I can find and have had zero improvement. As my car is very low HP, I would think that if any car would improve it would be mine. If I was starting over with a new car, I would still buy all of these lightweight parts but if you are on a budget, don't waste your money.

Jim Caughlin
SS/FS 6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

I tend to agree with Jim. Remember that most of the super-trick, gun-drilled, unobtanium stuff was designed for Pro Stock (and maybe Comp), where getting the entire car to a crazy light weight was the challenge. I honestly think that today, it's mostly for the coolness factor.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Lighter wheels = any E.T reduction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Gibson View Post
Anyone have real world honest results in E.T. reduction when replacing standard type centerline wheels with really light wheels?
Back in the stone age (Mid 1970's)Jim Morgan changed from a wide "Cook" steel wheel on his SS/GA 428 Mustang to a light weight wheel (don't remember the brand) of the same size and he was consistently about .09 quicker in the 1/4 mile. The Cook wheels were quite heavy if anyone remembers them. Both were 14 inches wide. I went with him quite a lot back in the day and was doing his heads back then for him and Dickie Estivez who ran the Al Joniac 1968 light wt. that has been restored to original condition and his brother in law ran a 1969 Convertible. They all 3 picked up after changing from the heavy Cook brand wheels to the lighter wheels.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 08-14-2018 at 03:41 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts

Bruce, how much actual difference in weight are you talking? Those Centerline wheels are already a lot lighter than a 15 X 7 Magnum 500. I'd think a slower car wouldn't see anymore advantage because you are accelerating the mass at a slower rotational speed than say an A/S or A/SA car. I agree with Jim.
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
I tend to agree with Jim. Remember that most of the super-trick, gun-drilled, unobtanium stuff was designed for Pro Stock (and maybe Comp), where getting the entire car to a crazy light weight was the challenge. I honestly think that today, it's mostly for the coolness factor.
Interesting idea , but I don't agree with Jim . I believe the lightweight stuff does work for all weights of cars , but the faster the acceleration rate, the more important lower inertia parts are . Higher horsepower cars accelerate quicker , so for them its more important . Also the farther that lightweight part is from the engine the less effect it has on hp it takes to spin it up . Another point is a tire is only spun up from zero to maybe 1600 rpm in say 9 secs , a driveshaft from zero to 8000 rpm , and an engine spins up several times , depending on how many gears you have in the trans . So if I were to prioritize what things to concentrate on reducing mass just for pure acceleration it would be the engine , then the tires , followed by the wheels , and finally the driveshaft . There are other reasons for lightening up stuff like overall weight , ease of doing , or expense . If we all had unlimited funds , we would do all the above .
ss3011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
CMcAllister

Liked 725 Times in 199 Posts

Spending money to reduce total empty weight AND unsprung weight is usually a good investment. depending on the combination and how fast the car is.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3011 View Post
"Interesting idea , but I don't agree with Jim." "If we all had unlimited funds , we would do all the above .
Yep, lighter, stronger always better! Return on investment in this case? Like you I'm spending that $600 or more on engine/trans.
I wouldn't spend it on slightly lighter than light wheels. I still agree with Jim, for the results save the money if you are on a budget.
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #9
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

You would be surprised at how many revs a tire actually turns from the time it leaves the starting line until it goes a 1/4 mile. Actually About 150 to maybe 175 times depending on if you have smaller or larger diameter tires. The same with engine maybe 1200 actual revolutions on an engine turning 7200 rpm in a 10.5 second run
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #10
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3011 View Post
Interesting idea , but I don't agree with Jim . I believe the lightweight stuff does work for all weights of cars , but the faster the acceleration rate, the more important lower inertia parts are . Higher horsepower cars accelerate quicker , so for them its more important . Also the farther that lightweight part is from the engine the less effect it has on hp it takes to spin it up . Another point is a tire is only spun up from zero to maybe 1600 rpm in say 9 secs , a driveshaft from zero to 8000 rpm , and an engine spins up several times , depending on how many gears you have in the trans . So if I were to prioritize what things to concentrate on reducing mass just for pure acceleration it would be the engine , then the tires , followed by the wheels , and finally the driveshaft . There are other reasons for lightening up stuff like overall weight , ease of doing , or expense . If we all had unlimited funds , we would do all the above .

I think we're saying the same thing, just differently. As another poster suggested, if I'm choosing between gun-drilled, 40-spline axles, an aluminum spool and a lightened ring and pinion, I would probably save the money and put it in the engine. Reducing unsprung mass does allow quicker acceleration of the component in question, but the question becomes "At what price for what gain?"
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote