HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 12-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
Gary Federico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default .370 back to .400 Pro Tree

If you run Super Comp &/or Super Gas, Graham Lite told Wheels Up Radio if enough racers spoke up, he would change the NHRA event tree back to .400. He said "it’s an easy change but though most racers needed the .370 to keep from going red." I won't comment on that statement but if you would like the older .400 tree. Please sign petition.

https://www.change.org/p/glight-nhra...tent=ex39%3Av5
Old 12-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
dbochan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dbochan Send a message via Yahoo to dbochan
Default Re: .370 back to .400 Pro Tree

https://www.change.org/p/glight-nhra...ct-more-racers
dbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts

Signed but now can I have some of the money back it took to make the car react that fast
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
STK1217

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

?????
STK1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 971 Times in 296 Posts

STK - basically the .90 cars always ran on a .400 / .500 Pro Tree, back in the mid 2000's the lights were changed over to LED's which in turn the eye sees faster then the regular iridescent bulbs. NHRA Had Compulink or Port-A-Tree or whatever the tracks use put a LED Compensation program into the computer program. They figured that with the eye seeing the bulb faster it was about a .030 faster so the X-Mas Trees became .370 / .470 with the speed up. It was also said that some of the PS / PSB Drivers were going Red and complaining about the tree so they sped up the tree to have them go green. In the mean time they never really told the sportsman guys they were going to change it either. When guys did find out it was changed it was like mid-season, so guys were changing four-links and shocks and tire pressure to attempt to hit the tree. As time went on and guys realized they needed a purpose built roadster to hit the tree or take the existing car and have it updated, a lot of guys bailed and went bracket racing or got out of racing all together. There is arguments for both sides of the coin as to what tree too use, some feel going back to a .400 tree may bring some racers back where as the guys who spent the money to hit the .370 tree then it was all for not.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts

I really do not care which one they use I just want them to stay the same all weekend at the events.
I know for a fact it was changed from .400 to .370 during a race after time trials were complete and before eliminations for the Super Classes several years ago and after led's. I received the info from the person doing the light setup for NHRA that weekend after the race. I was told it was done to keep the Pro Stock Bikes from red lighting when they complained about it.
It was done with the electronics in the tower.
Following that race I never go to eliminations without adding to the delay box.
My 2 Cents
Rick Cates
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Boy ,you guys just love to stir the pot don't you.
Anybody that thinks this will help car counts is fooling themselves , this about helping themselves !
You want a .400- .500 tree ?...Well then lets go back to the incandescent lights as well . .....Then lets see who is still on the tree !
I've held this in for a long time ,many racers have just gotten lazy and no longer work at the tree or their car .. ....Instead ,they want to change the tree to get a better light .
Racers need to realize Racing , as in life is not always equal . ....what do you do in life ? you work harder ,try harder . ....Racing should be the same way.
Instead of building a car for the class ,you want NHRA to change the rules to suit your car.
There are times I have a hard time on the .370LED tree , Gee ,what should I do ? I know ,I'll demand they change something till I have a .00 light ! NOT !
I go back and change the shock settings ,tire pressure ,4-link ,add ballast ,change launch rpm .
AND if that doesn't do it ,well I guess I'll put the snorkel on and dive it in !
This is NHRA Championship racing ,you have to earn that Wally , It ain't no "participation trophy" !
Old 12-11-2017, 11:10 PM   #8
Mbodnar

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Couldn't agree more
Old 12-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #9
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

I have a issue with the stage loc, that NHRA has implemented. Very few racers know about it. To me it is not right to have the stage loc. I run a clutch car, and I roll in to stage. I don't have a button that lockes the transmission in forward and reverse, so it won't go forward. I believe the tree should be just like the pros. The prestage bulb does not have to be lit to get a green lite.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #10
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I have a issue with the stage loc, that NHRA has implemented. Very few racers know about it. To me it is not right to have the stage loc. I run a clutch car, and I roll in to stage. I don't have a button that lockes the transmission in forward and reverse, so it won't go forward. I believe the tree should be just like the pros. The prestage bulb does not have to be lit to get a green lite.
Do you use the line lock and a brake pressure gauge to set enough brake drag to hold the car when staging?
That's what most clutch racers I know do and unless there is a problem with too little air gap, their cars usually stay rock solid on the line.
Stage Loc as I understand it only has to do with keeping the Staged light on if the car rolls slightly backward after the staging light is lit and locked in .