HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Jesse Kershaw

Liked 120 Times in 11 Posts
Default SS/BA Indy 2014

This seems like a ripe ground for the late model cars to shoot it out.

What CJ's Copos and Challengers are planning to run here for Indy?

What non-late models are getting in there?

I had designed a Bad Attitude t-shirt and started putting together a shootout plan but got too busy to finish it all up.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Thumbs up Re: SS/BA Indy 2014

Jesse, it (as I'm sure you've seen by now) looks like six entries so far (however there's 7 openings remaining), and of those six, five are new school CJ's or COPO's, and one Classic 427 Camaro. I don't know if "Bob Marshall" is planning on attending, but I'll be rooting for him and his '65 Dodge Coronet "Dodge Material", if he does.

I wonder what happened to "Steve Bagwell's" SS/BAAAD Plymouth Savoy....anyone out there who can shed some light on that car? I hope Steve's still alive and kicking, and I hope he still has those awesome cars that he and "Richard Griffin" used to terrorize the D2 Super Stock classes with? I wish I could afford to buy a car like his, because I'd be out there with it if I could!!!!

GOOD LUCK & SAFE RACING FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS AT INDY 2014!!!!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Frito

Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts
Default Re: SS/BA Indy 2014

Steve is still allive & kicking but lives a low profile lifestyle. The 64 is in Pennsylvania. One of the 65s has been restored in the orange and white paint he ran for a couple of weeks after buying the car from Butch Leal.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Frito

Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts

Bagwell/Leal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64-65.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	25243  
Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Smile Re: SS/BA Indy 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frito View Post
Steve is still allive & kicking but lives a low profile lifestyle. The 64 is in Pennsylvania. One of the 65s has been restored in the orange and white paint he ran for a couple of weeks after buying the car from Butch Leal.
Thanks Frito, and I'm glad to know that about Steve (please tell him thanks for the great memories), and I'm glad I bought one of those D2 video's that "Turbo Action" produced (back in the early 90's), because it showcased his car at least two times in action (once in a side-by-side run at an Atlanta WCS divisional from March of '82 vs a Ford Thunderbolt), and it ran a 9.94 et. The other run was a test session at Gainesville in 1983, and after a wheels up launch, that SS/BAAAD ride thundered down the strip on an awesome pass....unfortunately whoever shot the video didn't turn to the scoreboard and allow us to see the pass he made in that run!

Well whoever's got that Savoy in Pennsylvania, I hope they plan on racing it ? If not (and I can acquire the funds worthy of such a ride....tall order but blessings like that can happen), I may have to make a trip up there to try and buy it off of the newer owners, so it can/will get back to the track, where it belongs!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)

Last edited by GarysZ24; 08-24-2014 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Elapsed time correction after watching the video.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
Dave Ley

Liked 242 Times in 43 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Dave Ley

The 64 car has been in Pennsylvania for a very, very long time. It was bought by the late Ken "555" Montgomery many moons ago. The family still owns the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post
Thanks Frito, and I'm glad to know that about Steve (please tell him thanks for the great memories), and I'm glad I bought one of those D2 video's that "Turbo Action" produced (back in the early 90's), because it showcased his car at least two times in action (once in a side-by-side run at Atlanta, vs a Ford Thunderbolt, and if I recall correctly it ran a 9.44 at around 140mph ! The other run was a test and tune solo pass, and after a wheels up launch, that SS/BAAAD ride thundered down the strip on an awesome pass....unfortunately whoever shot the video didn't turn to the scoreboard and allow us to see the pass he made in that run!

Well whoever's got that Savoy in Pennsylvania, I hope they plan on racing it ? If not (and I can acquire the funds worthy of such a ride....tall order but blessings like that can happen), I may have to make a trip up there to try and buy it off of the newer owners, so it can/will get back to the track, where it belongs!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Stewart Way

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts

Richard Griffin is also still in Atl. He stopped by Barnetts shop a few months ago. Nursing a leg he broke in a work related accident but is doing well.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
FINESPLINE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Jesse, it (as I'm sure you've seen by now) looks like six entries so far (however there's 7 openings remaining), and of those six, five are new school CJ's or COPO's, and one Classic 427 Camaro. I don't know if "Bob Marshall" is planning on attending, but I'll be rooting for him and his '65 Dodge Coronet "Dodge Material", if he does.

I wonder what happened to "Steve Bagwell's" SS/BAAAD Plymouth Savoy....anyone out there who can shed some light on that car? I hope Steve's still alive and kicking, and I hope he still has those awesome cars that he and "Richard Griffin" used to terrorize the D2 Super Stock classes with? I wish I could afford to buy a car like his, because I'd be out there with it if I could!!!!

Hey Gary, If you are into the 64 lightweight Hemi Savoys there is entry in SS/B. Tony DiPillo's Honkin Hemi. 4 speed car . Oh yeah !
FINESPLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
gbur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:

Would like to know also of Steve's whereabouts, maybe he could help replace a totaled car he caused at Richmond years ago. Time goes on but memories linger
Old 08-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Thumbs up Re: SS/BA Indy 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINESPLINE View Post
Hey Gary, If you are into the 64 lightweight Hemi Savoys there is entry in SS/B. Tony DiPillo's Honkin Hemi. 4 speed car . Oh yeah !
Oh yeah is right, and I see that he'll be racing class against 3 Thunderbolts, 2 Corvettes, and 1 AMX. However, I'll definitely be rooting for Tony and his "Honkin Hemi", and I also hope the a Dodge Dart will win the SS/AH Shootout (nothing against the Barracuda's, I just consider the Darts another favorite Mopar of mine, plus the '65 Dodge Coronet thanks to the ones I started drag racing rooting for...Dennis Maurer's version, and Bob Marshall's "Dodge Material"...again talk about "Oh Yeah"!!!!!

Oh, and Dave Ley, thanks for that info as well.

Stewart Way, I'm glad that Richard Griffin is doing well (bummer about his leg, but I hope it heals fast), and I send my thanks to him for the memories driving Steve's '65 Belvedere too!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)

Last edited by GarysZ24; 08-22-2014 at 10:53 PM.