HOME MAGAZINE FORUM RULES SPONSORS CONTACT
     
   
   
 
Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
tgallagher
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cornwall, NY
Posts: 38
Default faster car = more consistent?

Few weeks ago saw a '79 Dodge Colt on Ebay. Wow!, it was a car show car, RWD stick-1.6 liter! (get thinking what class is below W)? But, then again other than wagons, the big body cars don't seem to have much representation either--a' la Ford Torino's, etc. Struggling with why some combo's under the rules, generally speaking, just don't make good race cars -but, I wish I knew more as to why it seems that way?
tgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
Mike Jones
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 316
Default Re: faster car = more consistent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgallagher View Post
Few weeks ago saw a '79 Dodge Colt on Ebay. Wow!, it was a car show car, RWD stick-1.6 liter! (get thinking what class is below W)? But, then again other than wagons, the big body cars don't seem to have much representation either--a' la Ford Torino's, etc. Struggling with why some combo's under the rules, generally speaking, just don't make good race cars -but, I wish I knew more as to why it seems that way?
People would rather be driving the chase car, not the one being chased...
Mike A114
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #3
Tim Kish
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 272
Default Re: faster car = more consistent?

faster car is less affected by weather changes - very generically if air changes by 1%: 1% of 8 seconds is less movement than 1% of 12 seconds.
__________________
Tim Kish
3032 SS/GS
Tim Kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Andys dad
VIP Member
 
Andys dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arcadia, Ca
Posts: 1,290
Default Re: faster car = more consistent?

I wish somebody would tell Jody Lang ...


Ron
__________________
time is our most precious resource, you can always make more money but you can never make more time
spend your time wisely with the ones you love - Ron Durham
Andys dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
jmcarter
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond Hill GA (and Port Ludlow WA)
Posts: 2,276
Default Re: faster car = more consistent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kish View Post
faster car is less affected by weather changes - very generically if air changes by 1%: 1% of 8 seconds is less movement than 1% of 12 seconds.
Considering wind changes and time between runs 1% is a pretty modest change. You could easily see 5-10 times that. Wind was always my biggest concern running in G. When running my chassis Avenger in Super Street I frequently had a MPH advantage and didn’t seem near as affected by wind.

Ron, if we all could drive the stripe like Jody or Dan then it really wouldn’t matter would it? LOL
__________________
Jim Carter
2340 Stock
2340 SST/2340 Super Stock

Last edited by jmcarter; 10-12-2017 at 08:58 AM.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
Mark Yacavone
Sponsor
 
Mark Yacavone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mayer , a fur piece up the road...
Posts: 4,608
Default Re: faster car = more consistent?

T, In my opinion, any car should be consistent , if it runs smooth and has a good driver
The variables are usually wheel spin , weather, (including wind).
I never bought too much into the " more time on track equals more inconsistency" theory. The car has to be predictable, and that's up to the driver /crew.
__________________
Real life never quite adds up...
Mark Yacavone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
ALMACK
VIP Member
 
ALMACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bardstown, KY
Posts: 1,452
Default Re: faster car = more consistent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
T, In my opinion, any car should be consistent , if it runs smooth and has a good driver
The variables are usually wheel spin , weather, (including wind).
I never bought too much into the " more time on track equals more inconsistency" theory. The car has to be predictable, and that's up to the driver /crew.
I agree.
More important than consistency is predictability.

However, predictability is derived from a lot of testing under various conditions. Lots of variables. And it also relies heavily on consistency.

Bottom line....predictability does not come cheap
__________________
Alan Mackin Stock 3777/ SS 3377
R/SA & SS/PA Fox Thunderbird
I/PS '95 Mustang GT
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
ALMACK
VIP Member
 
ALMACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bardstown, KY
Posts: 1,452
Default Re: faster car = more consistent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
People would rather be driving the chase car, not the one being chased...
Mike A114
Agree ^^

However my bank account dictates how fast I go, so I have focused more on learning all the advantages of being the slower car 80 % of the time in Stock and 100 % of the time in SS.
__________________
Alan Mackin Stock 3777/ SS 3377
R/SA & SS/PA Fox Thunderbird
I/PS '95 Mustang GT
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
Mark Yacavone
Sponsor
 
Mark Yacavone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mayer , a fur piece up the road...
Posts: 4,608
Default Re: faster car = more consistent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post
Agree ^^

However my bank account dictates how fast I go, so I have focused more on learning all the advantages of being the slower car 80 % of the time in Stock and 100 % of the time in SS.
Mr T , I think you will find that most folks that can afford the NHRA BS of 5-6 divisionals to get into a national , that costs more and pays less, can probable afford an 11 second or faster too. It's just more fun , to most.
You will see more of the budget built, slower cars over at the independent S/SS races.
Some of them do quite well over there ;-)
__________________
Real life never quite adds up...
Mark Yacavone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
ewcpal
Junior Member
 
ewcpal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12
Smile Re: faster car = more consistent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys dad View Post
I wish somebody would tell Jody Lang ...


Ron
Good one Ron, that tested my bladder control!
__________________
Pete Lanciers

Stock 7801
ewcpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Class Racer.com. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.Ad Management plugin by RedTyger