HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Pat Joffrion

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default NO-BREAKOUT INDEX RACING

Now that I have the data from the Cajun SportsNationals, I have proposed to NHRA that we hold a different format for next year's Cajun's, and I would like some input from the stock & super stock racers.

My proposal is this:
Thursday - Test-N-Tune only

Friday - Time trials, then Run Class Eliminations (SS/AH class on Saturday)

Saturday - Non-Class winners get 1 time trial ... Run no-breakout index race for class winners in front of 5,000 fans. Randomly pair stock vs. stock and S/Stock vs. S/Stock until 16 or less total remaining drivers in both categories. Use minus 1.00-second CIC. Combined pairings made on a sportsman ladder based upon reaction time in round prior to ladder, with higher qualified driver having lane choice. The winner will be paired against the S-Street, S-Gas, & S-Comp Saturday winners for a 2-round race with a $5,000 winner purse. This will be a "sponsor paid purse", and there would be no additional entry fee required.

By using this format, we can make the Cajun's the only game in town where a racer gets a free shot at 5-grand before the Sunday program. The only reason that I had to host it on Thursday this year was because I needed to get a feel for the race before I could put it on the Saturday program. The CompuLink CIC system is "hard-coded" at .50 in the computer program. However, I was able to enter all of the drivers into a new category, enter their index as their dial-in for 1st round, print out a round winner sheet, and manually compute the next round dial-in for those who ran faster than 1.00 under their index (dial-in).

It took a little extra work for me to find those guys in the lanes, but overall, it was a breeze. The CARD system was as random a pairing as it could get. I will be looking for 20 sponsors to post $500 for the free Saturday races which would allow me to pay the following:
Index Race $1,000 win - $500 r/u
Super Street $1,000 win - $500 r/u
Super Gas $1,000 win - $500 r/u
Super Comp $1,000 win - $500 r/u
Shoot-out winner $4,000 extra, making his/her payout total $5,000

I realize that a footbrake guy may feel a little intimidated by the "box-boys", but I can tell you this much; In the past 5 years, our King of the Track at NPR has been a "footbrake" racer, beating the "box" racers for 5 straight years! Besides, if I won the stock/super stock race and already had a grand in my pocket, I would love to take on one of the "box boys" for a 2-round race to pick up an extra 4-grand.

Interested sponsors can e-mail me at patjoffrion@hotmail.com or reach me on my cell at (985) 665-7145. Let me hear your thoughts.

Pat

Pat Joffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,452 Times in 1,956 Posts

In the no break race, I would sugest that if two cars in the same class race it always neens to be heads-up without a dial difference

Larry
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Earle Holt

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Pat,

If you're going to put on a no-breakout index race, I'll do everything that I can to make the trip from Maine. I love this format! Much better than pumping the brakes starting at the 1000' mark...it's first to the finish line! Geez, sounds like real racing to me!

Earle Holt
H/FI

Old 04-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
john clegg

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post

go for it.

jclegg
john clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Well....this sounds like Pat isn't going anywhere for at least another year?

If so, and the stars align properly, I'll be there with something. Cause this is a cool idea. Hell, might get 5 west coasters out there for this one.

I miss my tranny brake....
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Pat Joffrion

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Larry,

The index race would only be run by class winners from Friday. There would not be two cars in the same class on Saturday.

BTW, I would be requesting that NHRA not use the AHFS for the index race, as this would not be part of any qualifying runs for the Sunday eliminations.

Pat

Pat Joffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 352 Times in 92 Posts

as always pat... if you're putting it on... i will be there

and ill post a few bucks again as long as you list me when you post it next year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

captain jack

Old 04-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this is like the old days when you had to win class to get into the eliminator. It's a great idea.

david ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
Jeremy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Since who you are paired against is so important in this kinda race. What do you think about everyone drawing a random number as you come to the lanes and let that number be your pairing on the ladder.

What ever way you decide to do it I'll be there and thanks very much for adding so much to our sport.

Thanks

Jeremy
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Bob Shaw

Liked 290 Times in 58 Posts

Pat,
Since qualifying and class eliminations will be finished I would like to see stock and super stock combined first round and on a ladder based on qualifying time or class win e t. When cars are paired randomly the fastest cars can meet in the early rounds . Whenever 2 fast cars meet before the final they will both be eliminated. One loses the round and the other loses all his advantage. With random pairings it is very unlikely that the fastest car will win the race.
This is absolutely a FUN RACE and FREE and I will be there no matter what the rules are, but you asked for suggestions!
Also, will the combo winner race the super class cars on a pro tree?
Bob Shaw