Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #11
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Gatornationals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
Not sure you can compare the 2. I’ve been to a few car shows. Like watching paint dry. Unless you have never raced, then it might be fun.
Let me know if you are still racing when you turn 73. Its not the same unless you have someone else doing all the work and loaning you a car.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts
Default Re: Gatornationals

Over half full now the day before dropping to grade 7. I can still recall all the post of what's wrong with Stock/SS and it's dying......
Old 01-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #13
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

No doubt the 50th Gators is drawing in some folks but recall last year the complaints about being parked over on the road course and “will not go again”. Class racers may retire or NHRA kills the class but until then the show will continue strong. With every class in NHRA scheduled to run (who knows, they may even throw in snowmobiles) plus all the exhibition passes it sure will be a spectacle. Hope the weather cooperates and no way I’ll have enough grade points but will be there nevertheless, don’t want to miss class eliminations and FSS.

BTW, on FB Gainesville has been regularly giving updates on the new concrete pour, looks like it’s about done. Many of us have been clamoring on FB that they pave the gravel road between the road course and way beyond where the tire trucks normally park...we shall see. I’m 200 miles from the track but if they run a T&T or bracket deal either I or else someone else here will post how the track looks.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #14
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
Or you could just go get grade points like all the other racers. Just because you live in a curtain div why should you get preferential treatment over other racers that spent time and money to earn grading pionts.
Charley: I wasn't asking of any kind of special preference, I know how the system works. So for this years schedule of LODR's in D2, I would have to drive 6000 miles to get 6 grade points and wouldn't have enough grade points to get into the Gators. What I was trying to show is that in certain divisions, they have national opens and divisional races where you can go to work that day and still drive to race in a few hours.

It's not all that bad, I live where people vacation, we race year round here.

Casey Miles
248 H Stock
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #15
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Jim I parked at the road course last year and to be honest I liked it back there but I would not get upset if they put some pavement down on that dirt road! It was good meeting and talking to you last weekend, look forward to seeing you more this year.
I understand the traveling can be long in pur division as much as anyone. Living on the coast in North Carolina has its challenges as far as racing NHRA. For a while the closest race to me was a division 1 race at Dinwiddie but if you're going to do this deal you got to ride. I put over 10k miles on my rig last year and some airline miles also but if you want to get in these "premier" nationals that's what you're going have to do.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #16
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Let me know if you are still racing when you turn 73. Its not the same unless you have someone else doing all the work and loaning you a car.
Lol, guess that’s a shot. I’m not 73, guess I won’t know until I get there. BTW I own a car Incase you didn’t know. Do you even have anything to do with racing anymore? When is the last time you were even at a race?
When I turn 73 that will make car shows more fun? Good
to know. Thanks
Old 01-08-2019, 11:54 PM   #17
Dyno

Liked 604 Times in 177 Posts

They will put Stock, Super Stock, Super Street, Super gas and Super Comp on the back road course. If they paved the back dirt road, it may be OK. If not, it was an extremely dirty and bumpy road. The front main pit area will be filled with everything else.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #18
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: Gatornationals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
Lol, guess that’s a shot. I’m not 73, guess I won’t know until I get there. BTW I own a car Incase you didn’t know. Do you even have anything to do with racing anymore? When is the last time you were even at a race?
When I turn 73 that will make car shows more fun? Good
to know. Thanks
I raced beginning in 1963 at Aquasco with an old Ford... Raced a 1965 Plymouth 426 Street wedge after the Ford until I was drafted to be cannon fodder in Viet Nam. Came back and raced a 69 Vette in what was F/S back then. Went to super stock when the rule change hit in 1972. Raced again in 1977-78 in a SS/IA Camaro with my own home built engine. No ported heads back then or elect water pump drive nor those "fugly" Kirky seats. Had a free P/G and converter from ATI when Jim was alive. Its the ONLY thing I ever received free.Ken Keir tubbed it and built the 4 link before he opened his chassis shop.. . Was class runner up in 1978 at the Bowling Green Sports Nationals ($40 entry fee !) against one of Bobby Warrens customers named Phil Hardee. Worked for NHRA under Greg X until I got tired of working for the Gestopo. Worked 22 plus years for IHRA at ALL of their National events. Developed and got the Top Stock program going in IHRA with Mike Keener. I guess you were still pooping in your diaper during most of that time. With all the rule changes making things more expensive I quit racing as I had a family to support at that time. . I guess IF someone gave me a free Hemi car and upkeep I would do it again......Naaaaaaaaaa !

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 01-09-2019 at 03:26 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
Ronald Urquhart

Liked 58 Times in 30 Posts

Didn't we have this discussion and year or two ago. And as I recall whe the field closed a lot of racers pulled out and the racers that complained still did not enter. Just sayin
Ronald Urquhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #20
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I have not been to the Gators since the mid 1980's...

It was basically woods and a swamp in the pits back then...….dirt, scrubby grass and maybe some gravel....

Coming from cold NJ and hitting fabulous weather for at least 2 of those trips made it well worth it....

Great memories from those trips !