Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #21
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts
Default Re: Fly Weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
65 Valiant 273/210 J/S or auto at 2795# (Edelbrock intake!)
Can anyone show me documentation that verifies the use of a D4B intake on these cars? I see a revision on the tech sheet with a casting number now listed, but the number given is the original cast iron intake.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #22
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Fly Weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
Can anyone show me documentation that verifies the use of a D4B intake on these cars? I see a revision on the tech sheet with a casting number now listed, but the number given is the original cast iron intake.
I think its a "Flim Flam" like the 67 Shelby Mustang stuff. My friend had a 273/235 HP 'Cuda when new and we never saw an Edelbrock DB-4 intake on any Valiants, Darts, or 'Cudas of any of those related years around Md. Capitol Raceway or Aquasco, etc. Even the Bob Banning Dodge D/Dart had a cast iron intake. BUT if NHRA says its good ta Go then who would say different.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 08-09-2011 at 06:23 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,772 Times in 1,519 Posts

Dwight, the intake # is a new addition to the specs page. Looks like they finally fixed something right.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #24
Arnold Greene

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Dwight, I think the D4B intake came on the 'D' dart along with a Racer Brown camshaft and was Super Stock only. Maybe someone tried to circumvent the 'no swap engine parts' from the rule book.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Greene View Post
Dwight, I think the D4B intake came on the 'D' dart along with a Racer Brown camshaft and was Super Stock only. Maybe someone tried to circumvent the 'no swap engine parts' from the rule book.
Arnold....The "D" Darts only came with the cast iron intake that the 273/235 HP engine had with the throttle plate bores bored out by Chrysler to use the larger Holley carb. What ever has been allowed in later years has been done the same way the 67 Shelby got its updated parts.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #26
Dan Bennett

Liked 350 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A56 View Post
I have a 1976 Dart Lite / Spirit of 76' car, its a rare one. It has the crazy red white and blue striped interior, and all the features of the Dart Lite / Feather Duster. Comicly I use it as a mock up car, maybe one day it will be a Stocker, but not with a 6 cylinder.

Mark Lelchook
E/SA #704
That's a very cool car. I really have a soft spot in my heart for the "oddballs".

It doesn't have much to do with being a class car, but your interior description reminded me of a Hang 10 that ran around this area for years. It, along with another owner's Mod Top Barracuda were two cars that rusted to the ground before any one cared to save them.

Though the smog and insurance were problems back then, I wish that Mopar had been as creative in performance as they were in special editions.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #27
goinbroke2

Liked 173 Times in 59 Posts

I remember my buddies sister bought a new feather duster. The biggest attration? the blinker lights went "tickle-dink, tickle-dink" sounded different than ANY other cars blinkers. To a 11-12 year old it was pretty funny.
LOL, the stupid stuff you remember years later...LOL
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #28
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Dwight, the intake # is a new addition to the specs page. Looks like they finally fixed something right.
Well, I have a problem with that assumption. The casting number 2465726 listed for the 1965 273 4-bbl is a cast iron manifold, unless the Chrysler version of the D4B manifold was cast with the same number.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #29
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

It was a long time ago, but the photo that Dwight posted looks like the stock intake that was OE on my 65 273/235HP 4 speed 65 Valiant. I did buy an Edelbrock D4B intake for it, but I understand that there were 2 different versions of the D4B. Mine was purchased at a local speed shop, and had no MoPar part number, but I have seen a few D4Bs with a MoPar part number cast into it. I don`t know if that was a factory optional intake, or if it was simply a over the counter item.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #30
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

A56 -

That's the story that has gone around, but the intake manifold casting number on NHRA's Tech Bulletin is the cast iron intake shown in the pictures on my last post. So I am questioning that the D4B has been accepted. If they can run it with no documentation, then that opens up a whole new set of worms. But, if the factory issued D4B has that same casting number, that's a different story. Does anyone know what casting number was put on the factory D4B?