HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 04-23-2019, 06:29 AM   #1
scamper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Super Street Help

Hi All Looking for some help i'll be making my 1st attempts in the local super street class this weekend with NO throttle stop.Unfortunatly the rain gods have kept me from getting some track time with how to get to that magic 10.90 so looking for some guidance.I normally run the non-e brackets.

Car just makes class,spring fall weather 10.60's and summer 10.80's so not really a great throttle stop car imo but i could be wrong not sure how that could work so with that said wondering best way or where to even start to kill that .25 et in the spring the 10.80's should be managable in the summer.Do I hit 3rd and cruise at a certain rpm do i break at the mph light,1000' cone??? Without the tt day i'm a bit lost and would like to be in the realm.

Another thing I saw someplace was talking about the pro tree,witch i've never taken is .470 not really .500 I don't get that if its true.So Basically any help would be great from the guys that are doing it.
Any questions feel free to ask
Thanks
scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:53 AM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,662 Times in 850 Posts
Default Re: Super Street Help

You're bold stepping into SST without electronics but need to start somewhere to learn the ropes. Just don't be intimidated by the big MPH cars and run your lane. Going in a little deeper (but NOT deep staging because that is a DQ) or running a smaller front tire will kill some ET and improve reaction time. With a trans brake or not you can cut a light on the .470 tree with some practice. Adding legally mounted weight to the car is another way to kill ET, adjusting in 25 lb. increments to fine tune. Recommend NOT trying to kill ET by picking a point or holding a certain cruise RPM, adrenaline sometimes kills that strategy and it's rarely a consistent way to adjust your ET. If you're skilled on driving the stripe then try to set up honest (10.90), otherwise try to set up a bit slower and just be alert for a problem in the other lane that allows you room to lift. 140-150 MPH cars are commonplace in SST so just cut a light and drive your lane.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
scamper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yea I don't even have a trans brake i've been foot brake.I figure as summer comes i can add some weight,like the car needs it,lol 3400lbs now and be an honest 10.90 but in spring will need to kill more than adding weight and don't feel like i'm fast enough for throttle stop,just giving it a try getting my feet wet so to speak.
Can you elaborate on the .470 tree and not .500.My practice tree is set for .500 pro tree should or can that be changed.
Thanks
Old 04-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
pmrphil

Liked 237 Times in 101 Posts

Don't worry about the .470 to .500 tree difference, without a brake it won't be something you need to be concerned with yet. Just go, make a couple hits, and see where you are. You can raise (or lower) launch RPM to affect your reaction time. ET wise, a "whomp" on the throttle at half track is probably good for .003, 2 consecutive whomps will most likely kill the rest of a tenth. Just like anyone else, trial and error. Go have fun.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
scamper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Phil,Yea for sure the goal is to have fun just trying to see the best way to kill that apprx .25 i'll need in the better air.
That name sure does sound familiar from Lebanon Valley,probably know my dad Brooks "Class of 63" from back in the day.

Can you explain how the light is not .500 is it something about pro tree?
Old 04-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
Ken MacNicol

Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

There is only .470 between bulbs instead of .500 that they claim. Though some of the local tracks around here it is still .500. Try short shifting to kill some ET.
Ken MacNicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Lots of different ways you can go. If it were me, I'd still run a timed throttle stop, if only for a little blip. I helped a friend set up his car to shift on time, and we were able to adjust ET by moving the shift earlier and later in the run. Without a delay box, you are pretty limited.

You could still run a throttle stop under the carb without power to it, just closing the blades a little bit to serve as a restrictor plate for the entire run.

If you have access to some restrictor plates, those could be used to at least get you within a tenth. I know some guys that use them to keep their car above 10.00, and it seems that every change of 0.100" in hole size changes the ET about 0.10.

Completely getting out of the throttle at the 1000 foot cone will kill something in the 0.10 to 0.15 range. My 10.30 car is right at 0.12 doing that, although I probably wouldn't recommend racing that way.

Ken has the correct explanation of the .470 tree. I'd also probably take his advice about shifting early to kill a good chunk of ET to start with.

Also - I believe Phil has too many zeroes in his mid-track whomp impact. It will be a lot closer to .03 than to .003. I probably would have said .02 but all "whomps" are not created equal.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Old 04-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
pmrphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
Lots of different ways you can go. If it were me, I'd still run a timed throttle stop, if only for a little blip. I helped a friend set up his car to shift on time, and we were able to adjust ET by moving the shift earlier and later in the run. Without a delay box, you are pretty limited.

You could still run a throttle stop under the carb without power to it, just closing the blades a little bit to serve as a restrictor plate for the entire run.

If you have access to some restrictor plates, those could be used to at least get you within a tenth. I know some guys that use them to keep their car above 10.00, and it seems that every change of 0.100" in hole size changes the ET about 0.10.

Completely getting out of the throttle at the 1000 foot cone will kill something in the 0.10 to 0.15 range. My 10.30 car is right at 0.12 doing that, although I probably wouldn't recommend racing that way.

Ken has the correct explanation of the .470 tree. I'd also probably take his advice about shifting early to kill a good chunk of ET to start with.

Also - I believe Phil has too many zeroes in his mid-track whomp impact. It will be a lot closer to .03 than to .003. I probably would have said .02 but all "whomps" are not created equal.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
OOPS !!! Very much right you are.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #9
pmrphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamper View Post
Thanks Phil,Yea for sure the goal is to have fun just trying to see the best way to kill that apprx .25 i'll need in the better air.
That name sure does sound familiar from Lebanon Valley,probably know my dad Brooks "Class of 63" from back in the day.

Can you explain how the light is not .500 is it something about pro tree?
I believe I do.

As Ken said, shifting at different RPM will definately affect your ET.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #10
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 652 Times in 252 Posts

Don't know the manufacturer but they make a spacer that goes underneath carb. Then you slide in the different size discs to slow up ET. It's a slick deal and I know racers using them in bracket racing and cars are deadly. Just like a restrictor plate on nascar.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote