HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #61
BRETV

Liked 598 Times in 148 Posts
Default Re: 2012 Camaro in the NHRA Classguide

D. Johns,

The guy I sold it to, pulled the G-Force out and sold it, also sold the good 9 inch 3rd member and strange brakes off the car. He put an auto in it and tried to drive on the street. He sold to a guy that ran it in the NHRA Unleashed series a couple races. Then he sold it to guy that called me a couple months ago, and supposedly going to make it a legal stocker again.

Bret Velde
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #62
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,741 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zracer305 View Post
Chime in Gump!!!
First, I have to say that I love the CTS-V and would like to see it in the guide with a reasonable classification. But, reallity says that won't happen any time soon.

I have said it before on here, but the current Stock Eliminator rules have gone in a direction that is totally opposite from what the factories are producing for the street. That is why the current factory race cars came into being. Like them or not, they are built according to the current rules.

For the CTS-V to be a good combination it would need a weight break that reflects the items that can legally be removed (maybe 3500 lbs). It would also need a realistic HP number (maybe 425-450). GM could submit this, but as your e-mails point out, they won't.

To suggest that it is a good idea to build a 4250 lb CTS-V for CC/SA is crazy. Just a little research would tell you how badly it would be out gunned (as others have pointed out). Keep in mind that the LS3 based cylinder heads are pretty good, but not anything like the LS7 heads used on the blown COPO's. Add the small blower and you have a hard uphill road to climb.

Sorry for the late reply, but I was in El Salvador working when I posted my last comment and haven't had much in the way of internet time until now.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #63
zracer305

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: 2012 Camaro in the NHRA Classguide

Well said GUMP! And with that being said, IMO this is one of the biggest reasons Stock and Super Stock is a dying breed. Along with Super Street, Super Gas and Super Comp, all of these classes are bracket racing and not drag racing. Boring to drive and boring for fans. Whatever happened to drag racing where you try to go faster than the last pass? It's in Comp and all the Pro Categories and they seem to do well. That's real drag racing!!! If we want to save the sport IMO we need to go back to the old days allowing aftermarket parts for blocks and heads. Quit this index stuff do away with all the timers and get back to driving the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
First, I have to say that I love the CTS-V and would like to see it in the guide with a reasonable classification. But, reallity says that won't happen any time soon.

I have said it before on here, but the current Stock Eliminator rules have gone in a direction that is totally opposite from what the factories are producing for the street. That is why the current factory race cars came into being. Like them or not, they are built according to the current rules.

For the CTS-V to be a good combination it would need a weight break that reflects the items that can legally be removed (maybe 3500 lbs). It would also need a realistic HP number (maybe 425-450). GM could submit this, but as your e-mails point out, they won't.

To suggest that it is a good idea to build a 4250 lb CTS-V for CC/SA is crazy. Just a little research would tell you how badly it would be out gunned (as others have pointed out). Keep in mind that the LS3 based cylinder heads are pretty good, but not anything like the LS7 heads used on the blown COPO's. Add the small blower and you have a hard uphill road to climb.

Sorry for the late reply, but I was in El Salvador working when I posted my last comment and haven't had much in the way of internet time until now.
zracer305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #64
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,456 Times in 1,696 Posts

Quote:
. Whatever happened to drag racing where you try to go faster than the last pass?
It outgrew it's own viability, my friend.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #65
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts

Whoa!

"......it's in Comp and the Pros and they seem to be doing well..."

I don't think so, short fields, a handful of owners.....anyone proposing heads up racing is not thinking this through

One example...the 30 car fields for Hemi shoot outs are over.....take 2 to 3 "all-in-players" and the pretenders stay home when they realize they ain't got no shot
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #66
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,816 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Klein View Post
Whoa!

"......it's in Comp and the Pros and they seem to be doing well..."

I don't think so, short fields, a handful of owners.....anyone proposing heads up racing is not thinking this through
And there you have it, short and sweet!

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #67
RonP

Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts

Maybe CC/AT should be considered??
Then no need for NHRA classification guide acceptance.

GM is coming out with the 3.6L turbo engine for Caddy in '14.
Thanks
RonP
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #68
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,580 Times in 323 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Talking Re: 2012 Camaro in the NHRA Classguide

Quote:
IMO this is one of the biggest reasons Stock and Super Stock is a dying breed. Along with Super Street, Super Gas and Super Comp, all of these classes are bracket racing and not drag racing. Boring to drive and boring for fans.
I for one don't agree as driving my Camaro COPO CC/SA is anything but boring .Its put the fun back for me and I can tell you that the fans love it .How do I know ? They ( the fans ) tell it to me whenever I race -- they make it a point to stop and chat with me and take pictures .And they tell me its neat watching the big handicap starts against the traditional stockers .All that and its made my heart pump fast like I'm twenty - two again .Boring ? ? ? Not a chance .................