Old 12-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #61
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,043 Times in 274 Posts
Default Re: GM Releases 2013 bogus HP ratings at PRI show

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
Whoa Alan,

That same stroke of the pen killed my Max Wedge which now sits unfinished in my garage and at this point I may go back to Nostalgia SS racing.

Everybody yells to high Heaven when their brand gets one upped and everybody has the right to bitch about it. We can't get all wrapped up in brand loyalty when the bigger picture is the survival of our sport.

JimR
Jim, that is my point. When this first started in 2008, it was all fine and dandy because Ford and Chrysler were getting over on GM. Now the shoe is on the other foot. I said back then it was bad, and I still say so.

I merely used our cars as an example.

Now we're told we "should just take it, or stay home". I don't buy that.

There is not now, nor has there ever been, a need to crap all over all the existing cars and racers just to let the factories play. They created FI classes, they can just as easily create 1/2 to 1/3 as many FX classes.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #62
Chevy454

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post
Because sales of the new CJs, and COPOs would come to a halt.
Judging by the amount of new COPOs for sale on RacingJunk and Ebay that claim to have never seen the track, it seems apparent that the a large part of their respective owners only concern is that their new "collectibles" simply have enough horsepower to make it into and out of their trailer. And here I thought Chevrolet was only gonna let documented racers purchase them, lol...
Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #63
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts
Smile Re: GM Releases 2013 bogus HP ratings at PRI show

Alan, that's crap. I, Dale Aldo (Mopar guy) and Jesse Kershaw (Blue Oval Guru) always agreed very publicly it is better with all three manufactureres there. Don't get so far out there with your comments. Bow Tie has always been there, just a little late getting it done. I also proposed NHRA take 5% off everything in Stock 2007 and older. That didn't get any traction either. Speed up the old cars, it's what everybody wants anyway. It's better with all three of us out there. Almost all the cars are are out of the old classes and don't bother anybody but each other. And when you are putting shoe polish on the glass, what the hell does it matter anyway. I have singlehandedly managed to move myself up 4 classes. I have presented proposals to get even more cars out of the way of the old cars. Who knows, they haven't said no. And I will go back to my old statement, where was all this concern when I raced my 69 Super Bee. It's ok to beat my brains out then, but now it's a sin that my brains ain't gettin beat out. Maybe the Chuck Rayburn rule should apply; 'If you ain't raced in 2 years, you got no vote'. And to some of the guys that have quit 'because of the new cars'. Really great. Quit what you like so much and punish yourself. Make yourself sit in a corner with a dunce hat on. What has happened is the manufacturers have taken what the racing community has developed and cast it into the new cars. They are efficient, dependable, fun to drive and all that stuff. Just look at any new car powerplants somewhere between 4 and 10 cylinders, there is so much racing tech in them and that is why they do so well. Hell, I'm getting lost here. Too much coffee again. Racin season better hurry. The reason for the cars on ebay and racing junk are legal. All the factories had problems with the dealer agreements hence the cars were sold thru dealers. Even though there are no VIN and were sold as parts, but you know what happens when lawyers get involved. The original idea was racers only, which would have been better.

Last edited by Jeff Teuton; 12-03-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: just lost
Jeff Teuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #64
Tom Nolan

Liked 61 Times in 10 Posts
Default LS HP Numbers

Where is GM's official combo's and HP ratings? I have looked on NHRA...nothing has been posted, that I can find?
Tom Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #65
Monte Howard

Liked 48 Times in 14 Posts

These cars where built with all the latest racing technology, highly ported cylinder heads and everything to make these cars fast, and all that technology is what is currently being ran in Super Stock. So how in the world should any of these cars be allowed in stock eliminator is beyond me. Trust me when I say know one loves this sport more than myself, but these cars should really be in there own class. I really want to get my 67 camaro stocker back out, not sure why I should even be considering it with ford and chevy's new crate motors. If I do I believe the only way possible is to put a stick in it to stay away from them.

Last edited by Monte Howard; 12-03-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: My typing sucks
Monte Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #66
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
No, Bo, we do not. I don't WANT to put an LSx, or anything else in our cars. I like our 396 and 427 engines. I cannot take 300 pounds out of either car, and don't want to butcher them up, either. No thanks.

Here is the solution, real simple. Either it comes with a VIN, is completely street legal, and passes all federal standards for street cars, or it goes in an FX class. Period. It is either a production street car, or it NEVER sees the track as a Stock Eliminator car. EVER.

FX classes, with 1 pound weight breaks, starting at 6.0 and going to 10.0, stick and automatic combined. There is your place to play. Have at it. buy a new car, or a new engine every year if you want. Hell, buy one every race if you want. Buy a dozen if it makes you happy. Get your own class with the rules you want and play in it.

Bo, we all saw what your ideas did to Top Stock, it was ruined inside of 5 years, and you couldn't fill a 16 car field. We neither need nor want that in Stock Eliminator.

This is the crux of the matter: these cars were never on the street nor could they be tagged and just like the '68 Darts and Cudas they should be in SS or in their own class.

In '62-'66 Ford and Mopar built cars that went straight to FX, gas or MP because they were not street legal and were purpose built drag cars......why are the new cars any different?

Put them into their own class....FX, Factory stock, or SS....not in stock!

JimR
Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #67
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts

Just imagine Toyota trumping in with one of their NASCAR power plants with factory turbo and NOS passing assist options

FX or whatever designation is the answer.....let 'em eat
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #68
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Jeff, how about simply putting realistic HP ratings on the new "crate engines", all three brands. (all 4 barrels connected and wide open) The rest of us aren't the problem. No need to change everybody else's ratings, or weights. We aren't the ones screwing everybody else over in class or heads up pairings.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 12-03-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #69
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Jeff, how about simply putting realistic HP ratings on the new "crate engines", all three brands. No need to change everybody else's ratings (all 4 barrels connected and wide open) weights, or anything else. The rest of us aren't the problem.
100% dead-on. Why adjust 90-95% of the cars in Stock, to fix the incorrect 5-10%?
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #70
denbreeden

Liked 77 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
This is the crux of the matter: these cars were never on the street nor could they be tagged and just like the '68 Darts and Cudas they should be in SS or in their own class.

In '62-'66 Ford and Mopar built cars that went straight to FX, gas or MP because they were not street legal and were purpose built drag cars......why are the new cars any different?

Put them into their own class....FX, Factory stock, or SS....not in stock!

JimR

I thought the SS guys didn't want the new cars in their class either.
denbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote