HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #41
GTS340

Liked 1,069 Times in 334 Posts
Default Re: A subject for discussion on a winter's day.

I probably mentioned this before. Many years ago when I raced in Englishtown. You would walk through the pits and one favorite of mine was the tender fender SuperStockers. They would be lined up in the pits it seemed for ever. Anywhere from Steve Bagwell's SS/BS to many SS/FA. The cars were all to see. Now if the cars are out they are packed in between two giant white trailer. Nice rear bumper view if any. Pretty sure there aren't any sportsman parades before the race.
I'm not much of a street hotrodder these days. Why should I. The best car show of the nicest cars are racing at NHRA events. Not sure many local folks hear or see that.
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #42
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
Billy,
I'm not sure what the entry fee is for a National event, but at last week's Winternationals at Pomona, Stock and Super Stock received two time trials and went into round one at approximately 8:00 that evening.
For the first round runners up their National event experience lacked value.
says you who wasn't there and who also doesn't know how much an entry is for a national event.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #43
Chevy55

Liked 168 Times in 83 Posts

If I remember correctly Clear Channel Entertainment was to buy the pro division only of the NHRA but it was voted down by the Clear Channel stockholders.
Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #44
CMcAllister

Liked 746 Times in 206 Posts

Random observations-

As I remember history, Compton and those folks were looking to sell the Pro classes off to Bruton, a group of NHRA pro racers, or whomever, and keep the sportsman side for itself. Maybe they saw the decline coming and wanted to cash out. Who knows what would have happened had that occurred.

NHRA wants and needs the Sportsman's money; membership, license, cert, entry, contingency sponsors, advertisers, divisional support, etc. and not have to work or spend anymore than they need to keep it coming in. I suppose they may be afraid a national event will seem to be less of an event without all of those cars. They need something going on between pro sessions and rounds. Shooting t-shirts into the stands gets old.

NHRA is all about TV because big sponsors are all about TV. And the TV stars are who the casual fans pay to come see. Even Pro Stock is treated like an afterthought.

Sportsman classes are populated by an aging group and are becoming less relevant to younger people. We are our own biggest fans. People I talk to who don't follow it, or the NHRA in general, are no more concerned or knowledgeable of classes, indexes, rules, what all those letters mean, etc., than they are about what throttle stop racing is. But they can tell you about turbos, nitrous, X275, Ultra and RVW.

The alternative to the Pro circus now is the no prep, boosted, radial, small tire, heads up, Lights Out/No Mercy, outlaw door car scene. I'm surprised NHRA hasn't tried to become more of a player after seeing the popularity and the amount of money involved.

High dollar bracket racing is the new domain of the traveling non-heads up Pro-Sportsman with large fields, sponsors who's customers are the racers and very little walk in spectator support.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 02-12-2019 at 05:50 PM.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #45
CMcAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
Billy,
I'm not sure what the entry fee is for a National event, but at last week's Winternationals at Pomona, Stock and Super Stock received two time trials and went into round one at approximately 8:00 that evening.
For the first round runners up their National event experience lacked value.
Been like that forever. First round loser Friday morning and your weekend is over.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #46
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

Was there not a "Classracer "event held a few years ago ? where was it contested and might there ever be another one ?
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #47
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
Was there not a "Classracer "event held a few years ago ? where was it contested and might there ever be another one ?
I’m pretty sure you are referring to: “Class Nationals”.."
Michael Beard put that race together.
It was held in Columbus, Ohio.
Not sure if their would be another one.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #48
CMcAllister

A few years ago, we went to PRI. There were a number of the Street Outlaw guys there walking around as well. People were following them around, stopping them for photos, standing in line to meet them wherever they stopped to shoot the breeze with someone. I had to ask a buddy who they were and why they were such celebrities.

Later in the weekend while walking, we saw the Top Fuel World Champion car in a booth, stopped to look at it a second and noticed the Top Fuel World Champion sitting there at a table with hero cards. No one talking to him, no line to meet him, just sitting there watching people walk past. That was an enlightening moment.
Liked
Old 02-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #49
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

Those of us that are racers clearly don't do this for the $, hero cards, autographs, no mind any kind of self serving celebrity. WE do this for the competition in an attempt to be the best for a day, weekend, season.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #50
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,082 Times in 769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
says you who wasn't there and who also doesn't know how much an entry is for a national event.
I'm sorry but I don't understand your reply.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote