HOME MAGAZINE FORUM RULES SPONSORS CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 11-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Jeff Niceswanger

Default Re: Vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddies66 View Post
I have been a registered Independent since I started voting. The last two elections are the first time I used a machine, because of my military assignments for 24 years I voted via absentee ballot. I have voted for conservative and liberal candidates, military and non-military. I had the recent opportunity while sitting in our local hardware store to talk to Senator Dean Heller who stated that "once elected people step inside the Beltway they lose their "moral compass", case in point two military personnel, one I worked with (Cabinet member) and the other was my Congressman (SoCal) that I voted for are being accused of fraud. One had done the same thing while on active duty and got a slap on the hand. Heller stated that "after 30 years in politics he is glad to be out of it". What we need is an independent "watchdog" and an annual or semi-annual performance report card available to the public.
I know all Unions are not alike. But during the 10 years that I was a leader, the National would send a rep to our local a few months before elections. We tried to get as many members as possible to come, but if your not voting on something that particular meeting, its hard to get guys to come. The rep would go over all the bills and voting records that each individual politician had cast. And what effect those bills would have on people. He never really endorsed anybody, as UE doesn't do that. Most unions push Democrats. Ours left it up to the member. It didn't work, as 90 % of our Union voted Republican because of Gun rights, Abortion rights, and Poor People getting ( in their opinion ) way too much help. (Welfare).. I've noticed that since my retirement, AARP does a pretty good job of laying out voting records and such. But the Union did a better job of explaining the bills and what effect they would have on your family going forward
Old 11-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #12
Eddies66

Default Re: Vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
I know all Unions are not alike. But during the 10 years that I was a leader, the National would send a rep to our local a few months before elections. We tried to get as many members as possible to come, but if your not voting on something that particular meeting, its hard to get guys to come. The rep would go over all the bills and voting records that each individual politician had cast. And what effect those bills would have on people. He never really endorsed anybody, as UE doesn't do that. Most unions push Democrats. Ours left it up to the member. It didn't work, as 90 % of our Union voted Republican because of Gun rights, Abortion rights, and Poor People getting ( in their opinion ) way too much help. (Welfare).. I've noticed that since my retirement, AARP does a pretty good job of laying out voting records and such. But the Union did a better job of explaining the bills and what effect they would have on your family going forward

I recently gave a speech at the local American Legion about benefits and was asked about what I thought about a certain candidate. My response was for each individual to do their homework and check the Congressional record. In this day of automation it is easy to do. We get flyers from OE Local 12 every week on the State and Federal level legislation that effects construction. Example: Healthcare was a big issue this year, 40-45% of American wanted this to be an issue. Dean Heller sided with Trump in dismantling ACA after telling Nevada it was his priority to keep it...he lost. People just need to focus on their agenda and do a little homework. California posted Proposition 6, a repeal of the gas tax. This tax is money used on road construction, talk about shooting yourself in the foot, construction union members voted to repeal it. They voted against their own jobs???? Same with members that vote for RTW candidates???

Last edited by Eddies66; 11-13-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote