HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing

Old 11-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Glenn Quinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Super Por vs Pro

For the last two years I have been racing Supper Pro class with my AMX. Over that time I have only 3 round wins both have been over other door cars. The car is capable of 8's @ 159 but now I am thinking of removing the electronics and running the Pro, foot brake class. This summer I started to build an Indy Aluminum AMC motor but now am asking why. I just don’t see how a door car compete with dragsters going +175mph? Any thoughts on this move to Pro?

Last edited by Glenn Quinn; 11-13-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Glenn Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
cad

Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Default Re: Super Por vs Pro

As long as you can dial 9.00 or slower in the qtr mile, go for it. You can run a trans brake, but no throttle stop.
cad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Dave Steltz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well ask yourself...why did you get beat...because you didnt hit the tree, run the number, and drive the stripe ? Is your car not consistant enough ? Do you have a mindset that dragsters cant be beat ?

If you race a car or dragster that is faster than you....if you are both 10 on the tree and on your number..the dragster is no better than you..

I've raced lot of fast dragsters and door cars...both in SP and in SG...if you have trouble racing in front, then you need to work on that, or race a class where you are the faster car...and that comes with a new set of "rules"...like when you are dialed 9.0 and racing a 13 sec car...

My opinion is just that (an opinion), but the foot feed cars out there are pretty tough at alot of tracks, and I dont believe that in all cases you can use a TB...

Might want to consider attending one of the racing schools out there....alot of guys have said that they help...
Old 11-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

[QUOTE= You can run a trans brake, but no throttle stop.[/QUOTE]

It depends on what part of the country your racing in.......In my area a trans brake is NOT allowed. NO electronics are allowed......thats why its called "FOOT BRAKE" racing.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You are probably jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Footbrake/NoBox is some of the toughest racing you will ever do.

Terry No box is coming. The Mid Atlantic region is about the only areas of the country still being Footbrake only. Sad to see but it's coming.
Chip
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
cad

Yes. there is a difference between foot braking and a trans brake. NHRA PRO class allows a trans brake. The CDRA event I attended at KCIR in October was true foot brake...I couldn't even run my brake mounted 2 step. Semifinals on Sat and Finals on Sunday. As suggested, don't jump into PRO because you think it's less competitive.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
cad

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LEGEND View Post
You are probably jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Footbrake/NoBox is some of the toughest racing you will ever do.

Terry No box is coming. The Mid Atlantic region is about the only areas of the country still being Footbrake only. Sad to see but it's coming.
Chip
www.cdraonline.com
Check this out for footbrake racing. It's must be a good program, Bob Fuller and Matt Driskell were in Super Pro at KCIR in October. I enjoyed it. I think we had about 40 foot brakers, and it was coooooold out.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the legend View Post
you are probably jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Footbrake/nobox is some of the toughest racing you will ever do.

Terry no box is coming. The mid atlantic region is about the only areas of the country still being footbrake only. Sad to see but it's coming.
Chip
yuck
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
f636

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glenn, I just went S/P last year from being one of the faster pro cars and have found the dragsters to be no tougher to race than a good door car. I feel the stripe is just as hard for them to judge coming up on me so fast as it may be for me to judge them. After a year I've found the diggers to be no more consistant on their dial than me on my dial, and although I'm just racing my own dial on the track (I'll probably get a lashing from the dragster people for this) I still enjoy beating diggers!
Either way go race and have fun!!!
Keith
f636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
Glenn Quinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Super Pro vs Pro

I think my biggest issue is learning how to go off the first flash of yellow. Many times I just forget to let go of the TB and then realize I am going off the first yellow and let it go. This frustration has made me take all delay out of the box and release on the last yellow like foot brake racing. My RT is so so from 0.035 to 0.006. I think I just freak out when I am racing a dragster. I am using a big mushroom style button mounted on the steering wheel. I think I will change to an adjustable button mounted by the sifter. I have ordered a practice tree with the adjustable delay. I know I need a lot of work and seat time to get good in any class. Thank you all for your ideas, support and comments.

Glenn
Glenn Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote