Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
seb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SSDIV6 and CHUCK:

I am not proposing 'just' an association like Jeff tried. I am talking
about our on association away from NHRA all together. You can
bel;ong to both if you would like and probably most would. That way
you can go to Points races and National events that are close.

The problem with everybody is most of us older guys have NHRA
tatooed in our souls because we grew up with it, dreamed of going
to the pointsraces and national events, built many cars with only that
in mind. In other words we lived and breathed going to NHRA races.
It is hard to think of any other organization that would satisfy our
'longings' that we all are so attached to.

This is just my idea I have thought about for a few years since we
keep getting shuffled more and more to the back corner of the
track. I have just about retired but not completely. Never say never.

Anyway, it is something to think about not just say it can't be done
and forget it. Let's mull it over and if a bright industrious person
wants to give it a stab let's support it. We can make it work.

SEB
seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

SEB...Jeff's association involved both NHRA and IHRA racers...it was not affiliated in no way directly to NHRA. If you are talking about having an association that has its own races, it was also tried by Alex Denysenko and he got crucified by many.

I am not trying to sound pessimistic, what we need is an association that everyone would embrace and allow the leaders make the decisions above and beyond some racers Chuck's approach is a good one since allow everyone to act in a level headed way.

The other problem that I saw with Jeff's was that many wanted current racers to be the leaders; I believe, like you do, the association would do better with most of the leadership being former racers instead of current racers. That way you avoid accusations of favoritism.

SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
seb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SSDIV6:

You're beginning to get the idea. Keep thinking.

SEB
Old 04-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,452 Times in 1,956 Posts

Sorry, got a new laptop and trying to see if I can post.
Patsy

Larry
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #15
slowstocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, remember guys we did beat the mufflers. Got to be a way.

slowstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

S.E.B.,

I no longer race a Class car, but I keep my finger on the pulse of NHRA Class racing through friends who do (and, you know who they are), through reading "NATIONAL Dragster," going to what races I can attend, and reading this, and a few other drag racing BB's.

Both Mr. Teuton and Mr. Denysenko gave of their time and energy unselfishly ,and generously, to try to accomplish basically, what you are talking about, here.

In the end, neither was successful, through what I felt was no fault of their own.

With NO understanding of what they were up against, I tried my own "exercise-in-futility" by attempting to get a consensus just of this board's contributors, on approaching NHRA for a change in the red-light procedure to a "Worse Red Light" rule, instead of what we have, now.

All I got was one argument after another that "it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" (it is VERY broke, and has been for 34 years...), and people accusing me of trying to somehow gain an advantage for slower cars (no way I know of to do that, nor, would I want to.)

Ultimately, I couldn't even get the drivers of SLOW cars, (who are almost always victimized by the current rule as it exists now,) to support an idea for changing the way the red light system works.

With that kind of mindset endemic, it is near-impossible to put together ~anything~ that some faction, or other, isn't going to perceive as "favoritism" for somebody else.

That's just the way it is...

Paranoia is the enemy. Most people seem to think that if it's good for YOU, it must be bad for THEM.... just naturally.

To be sure, that line of thinking creates an attitude that undermines the whole operation... even before it has a chance to really get off the ground...

Realistically, who can blame them? After years and years of "enhancemets" from Wally World that seemingly NEVER work to the racers' benefit, it's easy to understand why they would be wary of any change.

And, by-the-way, I think that your suggestion to have this proposed organization headed up by someone who no longer races, is the best idea I've heard. That, alone, might go a long way toward minimizing the problem of the sure-to-occur misconception that "the powers that be" could have an agenda that might be construed as benefitting just one group, or individual; the paranoia that is sure to occur....

Good luck with your quest; I'd LOVE to see something like that succeed!! You can't imagine, how much...

Bill
Old 04-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #17
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl

OK, Dedman for president of the USRA (United Sportsman Racers Assn.) ! He fits all the qualifications doesn't he? Jim

Jim Wahl
6 Time National record Holder
2239 BF/S
I miss Buster Couch also! 'cause Div.2 will always be "Buster's Rebels"
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:42 AM   #18
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Jim,

Just what this forum needs; some humor!!!

You be FUNNEEE!!!

Bill
Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 AM   #19
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

To bring such a vision into reality will require a dedicated group of people who will work to make it happen without widespread support and a tenacious will to continue even in the face of defeat. Alex's race was a success in most aspects but I can easily understand why he chose to give it up. You are talking about a huge undertaking with countless hours of work, little help, little appreciation and lots of bitching, then lost money on the race. Alex has a life, a business, and would rather race than run a race that cost him money and time. But there was general widespread support, lots of cars that showed up and most of those who attended would readily attend another. And there have been and continue to be successful local race series directed toward the Stock/SS racers. In fact, Jim Schaecter mentioned the Heartland series that Bob Gipson has helped promote in a recent email to me. These two facts should be encouragement to someone. Even Wally Parks started NHRA drag racing and had to fight the same battles.

SEB and Bill Dedman have emphasized the point that the players would need to be people who do not race in order to keep down the suspicion of favoritism. I agree and also note that for the most part, successful track operators and race promoters do not race themselves. That's not to say it cannot be done, but running a race or a race organization and racing a car are both full time jobs. I do not see how some one who wants to race could handle both. I believe the people are out there who can and would handle the organization and technical definition of the races. What is needed in the promoters and lead men and the visionary leaders.

MHO

Dwight Southerland

Old 04-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #20
seb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats' right on Dwight and I can think of a good one.

His initials are D.S.

SEB