Old 04-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Default RALLY FOR DRAGSTRIP ON LONG ISLAND

There is a demonstration for May 6th at 10am

Ok the details are here...

http://topgunse.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=156&PN=1

http://167.206.85.118/pub/May6_rally.pdf

Also if you haven't already, register on that site so you will always be e-mailed of anything important you need to attend

mcgyverracing
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Chris.....I know this is an old topic...but do you think that Long Island Dragway-aka 'Westhampton' could have stayed open with a different owner or was the offer of big $$$$ for the property too hard to say no! It certainly was tough to see a track like that close after 45+ years! Back in the day, there were 3 strips running at the same time on the island. Hope you guys get this idea going.....BTW, is that the old Grumman location again?

ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
chris ok

http://167.206.85.118/pub/May6_rally.pdf
please read this flyer I linked above for the directions to our rally.

this site is an industrial wasteland.
It consists of
Suffolk county police training facility
volunteer fireman training facility
grucci fireworks factory
suffolk county prison
yaphank dump site

county controller wants housing on this. scary thought what would surround these families if they moved there.

We need to help keep the fight alive for us, LI overtaxed payers.
stop NIMBY(not in my back yard) before it stops you too.
The grumman site is in Calverton and was proposed 10 years ago to be the mid atlantic motorsport complex. shot down by nimby followers.
There is a group Top Gun sports and entertainment looking to bring a great multiuse facility to us . thanks for the read all. chris

mcgyverracing
Old 04-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
JPERRONE

Get Real..You are wasting time ..Property on Long Island Is about $ 100.000 for a buildable lot.[60 by 100 ft]..I would love a track on L,I, but reality SUCKS.Get an E-Pass and get going.Or wish for me to win MEGA MILLIONS,,By the way for every racer or person that wants a track there are way to many more people that don"t want atrack in there back yard..Also why dosen't TOP GUN step up with some money and build a track?Thats the main problem NO MONEY>>

Old 04-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hey Chris, hope that idea flies! I've got a 'new' slant on any drag strip idea on Long Island....I know everybody's thinking 1/4-mile? How about an 1/8th mile track! Less acreage, less noise (in theory), and cheaper to build....That would bring back memories of Islip.....LOL!!!!! Or, be different, how about 1000'? Either way, whoever builds will probably add some sound-deflecting walls like E-Town, or Atco....would be a smart thing.....Anyway, looks like I didn't get a response about the last days at Long Island Dragway......I walked the property just after the entrance was blocked off with the sand piles....what was it summer 2004? Ya know, the place didn't look that bad, and with a little help and support from the racers, might have stayed open? I did hear about the town limiting the amount of 'noise' days there....that wasn't a mufflers-only track was it? I talked to a major name LI racer a year later about the closing and he thought that in the right hands the track might have had a chance to remain open....so one LAST TIME....wouldn't it have been easier to keep the only strip OPEN than to try to build a NEW ONE there? From what I saw, weren't the neighbors the State Police shooting range to the EAST with the rusty water tower, and to the WEST, the animal hospital? Not too many homes nearby, or is my memory a bit cloudy?

ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
chris ok

LI Dragway was sold by its owner to a developer. A few name drag racers had approached to purchase but the said owner didn't want to sell to them, he might look bad that he couldn't run it properly?. That drag strip is now built for active adults I think . What a waste.
I heard Top Gun did put a bid on property but it was lost in a beaurocratic shuffle. It is a solid idea I think from many standpoints on who could use the facility, not just dragracers.
Mr. negative, JPerone, I wish you a cardbord refrigerator box to move into, on your $100,000. property enjoy. I'll keep the megamillion ticket myself, lol.
I have my ez pass, thanks. My streeter crosses brigdes, been there done that. I sure liked the trip to LI Dragway, wayyy better. I'm sure you did too.
LI land prices is expensive but so is Cali, and they have a few tracks, I'd sure settle for a nice 1/8 mile, no problem here with that.
I'll be attending the rally, hope some if not all of you do to.
ttt with ya.

mcgyverracing
Old 04-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
chris ok

I went on google earth, put in LI dragway address old country road eastport and wham, the drag is still there. how old are those pics. I miss that place. 3 ft. above sea level. fast, but slippery,lol.
Yaphank or calverton,Its a long shot we know, but you gotta beleive.

mcgyverracing
Old 04-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Michael Iacono

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Whats .the matter TRUTH HURTS? Sorry at the moment i am living in a Killer motor home at ROCKINGHAM DRAGWAY on my way to ATLANTA to RACE A CAR NOT A KEYBOARD..Point i was trying to make is it is not going to happen until someone with enough money to build a track floats this idea.Top Gun has been trying and I wish it would happen..But like they say SHOW ME THE MONEY..This is the problem no money to get it done..GOOD LUCK

Michael Iacono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
Michael Iacono

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

SORRY LAST POST IS BY JAMES PERRONE NOT MIKE..

Michael Iacono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
chris ok

I posted a reply but it didn't print. don't worry I am not taking any of this personal, just trying to get some people together to help get some good press for us drag racers and motorsport enthusiasts here on LI. I was breaking balls as were you I'm sure. Here on LI or NIMBY, we are not appreciated in our own neighborhoods with hot rod cars.I know its a longgg shot, but its still a shot. I thought Top Gun had funding, maybe you know more. Our only press on LI is late nite street racing, we need a positive spin for once. Good luck in Hotlanta in stock, J and M.
holding the fort here on LI with worlds best pizza, Chris

mcgyverracing