HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #21
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts
Default Re: What is the correct description of a 60's Jr. stocker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldilcher View Post
The last Jr. Stock contested was Nov. 1971 . Ontario Calif.
I think you're right, Poppie Pretty good for an old guy.

That event was later in the month of Nov. Can't find the date at the moment.
The LG Nat's were usually the first week in November.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Mark,
The Little Guy Nationals at Suffolk Raceway, Virginia was always a good event for the middle of the road guys.
Those Little Stock Eliminator events at local tracks were fun, as long as the Pay-out $ stayed low ($40 for the winner)
Once the dollars started to creap up ($100 for the winner), guys started coming out from under the rocks with those early 60's stockers, that were parked in their barns.
PC
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Around here Stock Elininator was A/S down. Weren't broken down. Here at Tulsa we ran 1st & 3rd Sundays, qualified, and ran off a ladder. Paid about the same as a WCS, less the contingencies. Ran off of national records. You had to be pretty fast to win anything. Pretty good time to be racing. Still had plenty of cars working to get faster, instead of crawling off to someplace easier. Different world then. Now it's et brackets where any clown with any junk is as fast as a sharp guy with a fast car. It's racing dumbed way down. Like Pete Peery said about running off of indexes: "On Sunday, everybody is a record holder". About right.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 07-02-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #24
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I have an old Dover flyer with Little stock eliminator prize pay-outs,
I'll post it. Fun to see the older stuff, and what guys would do to win
a Class trophy, Class winner decal, eliminator Winner decal and $40.
My daughter won't baby-sit, unless she's guaranteed $50 (minimum).
Thats for week-days.
Week-ends its $60.
Funny thing about those Little Stock Eliminators. There was always some ringer in the crowd. In 68', we had a guy with a 66' Chevy II Nova SS
in K/SA with a supposed 283/220HP engine. Won about 5 events in a row. Then we see him at the 68' Super/Stock Magazine Nationals in Long Island in F/SA (claiming a 327/275HP). The next week he's back running K/SA. Knew he wouldn't get protested, because you had to put up $200
to protest for a top-engine tear down. Nobody was willing to put up the $, and wait into Sunday evening for the inspection.. Ran 13.40's, and was on the brakes about 200' from the traps, $40 was worth alot more back then.
PC

Last edited by Paul Ceasrine; 07-02-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #25
bob shirley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there was some big money races around.
in 1966 we took our k/s 55 wagon to westhampton on long island.was a three days race.
we won every class there was all three days including top eliminater on sunday night.
left with 6 trophy's and $800.00.
was a lot of money back then,never forget it.
bob shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #26
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

I had an interesting conversation with Jere Stahl this week. I had not talked to him since the NHRA World Finals here in Tulsa, 1967? (1968?) he and Bill Stiles used a friends shop when here. We were talking about the old days (whoda thunk it?) When he set his first record with the '56 Chevy wagon (learned he didn't own it) he lowered it from 14.25 to 13.56! Had his first set of headers. I remember the attention that brought. Jere said they had not thought about getting their spot from that. When I started we had flagmen, and got 25' per class, 250' max. My 'wagon got the same 250' A/S throughout D/S. Was usually enough. :-). 7" tires saved my rear against the higher classed cars.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #27
JrStk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Out side of the implemented year limit, what other rule changes were made after Nov. 71? Why do we consider this date as the end of Jr Stock?
Its great to read the comments from the guys that were there. Thanks for posting.
Doug
JrStk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #28
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: What is the correct description of a 60's Jr. stocker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrStk View Post
Out side of the implemented year limit, what other rule changes were made after Nov. 71? Why do we consider this date as the end of Jr Stock?
Its great to read the comments from the guys that were there. Thanks for posting.
Doug
NHRA turned them all into Super Stockers. Any cam, valve spring, intake manifold, any tire that would fit the stock fender wells, As time went on more and more changes were allowed such as tubbing the rear fender wells, larger tires, roller cams. ported heads etc.
The stock classes were really STOCK with DOT tires (not the new sticky DOT type tires), OEM exhaust manifolds, a year limit (1960 and newer) No blueprinted cams, etc. and in the beginning the top class (A/S) was 9 lbs per HP instead of 8 lbs per HP.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 07-03-2010 at 07:55 AM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #29
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I think that traditionally Junior Stock meant the cars from the '50's to include the 55-59 chevys, 58-60 pontiacs, etc.

The end of Junior stock came with the big block cars of the early '60's. 1961 cars under 389ci's were JS, once the over 400ci motors hit the market and the factories got involved the days of JS were over.

Just my opinion but if you brought back JR racing today all you would see would be 55-57 chevies,

JimR
Old 07-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #30
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=X-TECH MAN;195579]Yep....When NHRA made all of the neat ole Jr. stockers become Super Stockers it was the end as us old timers know it. Some things were for the better such as a 9 inch slick instead of the 7 inchers and trimming the tires every few runs.

Yep, I went from breaking almost nothing to breaking more crap than you could haul off with a big truck. After changing to SS, I only won two races and set one record. And bought a lot of parts. The 12 bolt rear & 4speed 220hp Malibu was the car for my class then.