HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 09-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #21
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: Steering on SS/LA 58 Corvette

I seem to remember SS & DI or some other reputable magazine that did a very in depth look at some of the Chevy II A arms that got sliced up, like 30 some odd years ago. So for sure the NHRA Tech guys were aware of this. Maybe there is a Grandfather clause LOL
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #22
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey View Post
Hacksaw, while your comments are appreciated, I want to tell you what I was told a few years back by a "NO NONSENSE" NHRA TECH MAN. I would call and ask him a question, and right off the top of his head ... he would say get your rule book and turn to page ...., then he would say ... on the right side, second paragraph see where it says .... and he would recite from memory ... word for word as I was reading it !!!! Then he would break down the paragraph explaining each word, and what it meant! Yes he was that good! Anyway, I would ask him about the rule book, gray areas, and what the rule book did not address ... he set me straight with this statement
"If the rule book says "you can" do this or that, then you can .... If it "doesn't say" you can do this or that, "THEN YOU CAN'T" So that's pretty simple, and it leaves absolutely NO GRAY AREAS ! There's nothing to argue, it said you could do it in Black & White. A lot of folks look at the rule book and say "Well it doesn't say you can't do it ... so I'm gonna do it" kinda like the Henry "Smokey" Yunick RIP would do. The problem then is if/when you get caught, and the book did not say you could do it ... THEN YOU ARE IN VIOLATION, AND THUS SUBJECT TO DISCIPLINE AND/OR PENALTY ... AND IF YOU GET AWAY WITH IT FOR 10 YEARS ... THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S OK ... IF THEY CATCH IT AT ANY TIME ... YOU ARE IN VIOLATION

Wade Mahaffey

Now I know that may not be the case in todays racing for many reasons. But that's why I look for the ruling in Black & White to say "You Can" LOL
I ran into a similar issue on the 'the rulebook didn't say I couldn't do it' situation. I was talking to Jerry Valentine outlining an idea I had for a solenoid operated clutch release mechanism that skirted what is outlined in the rulebook, he pretty much cut me off midsentence and said that the rulebook outlines what you can do, not what you can't.

I guess mounting those JATO rockets on the deck lid is out also, the rulebook doesn't say I can't?

Jim Caughlin
SS6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #23
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Wade--check your PM --FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote