HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 04-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
Mike Hedger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Trailer tire recommendations

I have an LTD 45’ tri axle gooseneck that I’m getting fixed up to use and I’m wondering what you guys recommend for tires? I have 235/85/16 Nitto highway tires on it now. (Tires off my dually when I put new Coopers on it)
I’m looking to stay under 150.00 a tire and have the ability to mount and balance them myself.

Have looked at the good year trailer tire but have not had good luck in the past with them.
Can get Carlisle tires from a buddy but don’t know much about them.
Would like to have US made tires also.

Thanks for any help Mike
S/C 4646
Old 04-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts
Default Re: Trailer tire recommendations

go with F or G rated tires and because of the heat in Texas watch the tire pressure too
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 289 Posts

Goodyear has a new trailer tire that has gotten pretty good reviews so far. I don't own any but I like the fact that you can get them at Discount Tires and get an road hazard warranty on them.

I don't know if they are available in your size or not.

I am running some Trailer King tires I got from Amazon that are working out okay to date.

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts

Good and cheap is a hard combination as I am sure you know, the local tire store is selling a good number of E rated Firestone TransForce to replace trailer tires and so far none of them have returned in a couple of years. I have seen a good number of them on race trailers also. The new Goodyear Endurance ( not the Marathon !!!! ) is suppose to be the "hot tip" according to the factory rep.........the tread pattern is quite different than what you normally see in order to run cooler, the difference is quite noticeable. Michelin XPS is the unmistakable direction but is way beyond the price range you are looking for along with Firestone commercial trailer tires.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Demon340

Liked 94 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Davenport View Post
Good and cheap is a hard combination as I am sure you know, the local tire store is selling a good number of E rated Firestone TransForce to replace trailer tires and so far none of them have returned in a couple of years. I have seen a good number of them on race trailers also. The new Goodyear Endurance ( not the Marathon !!!! ) is suppose to be the "hot tip" according to the factory rep.........the tread pattern is quite different than what you normally see in order to run cooler, the difference is quite noticeable. Michelin XPS is the unmistakable direction but is way beyond the price range you are looking for along with Firestone commercial trailer tires.
Can you look at a tire and determine if you should replace at a certain point. I heard that there is a mark or a number that tells how old the tire is?
Or is there a good rule to follow? Like replace every 5 years just because of sitting 90% of the time?

Does leaving the trailer loaded and sitting out of the sun... such as car, tools, golf cart, etc. kill the life of the tire?

Thanks, Larry
Demon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon340 View Post
Can you look at a tire and determine if you should replace at a certain point. I heard that there is a mark or a number that tells how old the tire is?
Or is there a good rule to follow? Like replace every 5 years just because of sitting 90% of the time?

Does leaving the trailer loaded and sitting out of the sun... such as car, tools, golf cart, etc. kill the life of the tire?

Thanks, Larry

Larry -

Every tire sold in the US has a serial number/date code stamped into the sidewall, for the very reason you're asking - "How old is this tire?" Tires often sit in a warehouse or on a dealer's racks for a long time before they are sold, so knowing the "build date" is a good idea, the fresher the better!

Obviously physical condition is the best indicator for replacement, but I've heard different advice on when the tire should be changed because of age. Ozone damage is a big factor in how quickly a tire decomposes, so keeping them cool and out of the sun is a great idea, and although radials don't flat-spot like the old bias-ply tires, taking the weight off them if you're going to be storing the trailer for a long time might be beneficial.

I've been using load-range "G" tires on my trailer with good service, making sure to check the air pressure frequently, as that seems to have the biggest affect on longevity.
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,662 Times in 850 Posts

Concur with Lew 100%...and since I’ve offered disparaging remarks about Goodyear Marathons and the 670 Motorhome tires ( which you should still avoid) I’d add that some smart people recommended the new GY Endurance tire and since Discount Tire (can’t beat the warranty program) had the Endurance in stock I got a set mounted on my trailer for a 5,000 mile trip to pick up my car and they hardly look worn. Good value for sure. And since they are fairly new and hard for dealers to keep in stock you’ll probably get some recent date coded tires.

Last edited by jmcarter; 08-05-2018 at 05:30 PM.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

To find the tires date of manufacture, look for the DOT impression on the tires sidewall, there are normally one on either side, you want the longer version. The last 4 numbers are the date, the first 2 digits are the month, last 2 the year. So if the 4 numbers show 1718, that means the tire was built during the 17th week of 2018.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Demon340

Liked 94 Times in 24 Posts

Thank you for the tire info. We had low milage Power King (7.50 x 16) - 14ply, but 5yr old (looking at tire date) let go on I-70 at the bottom of Vail pass coming back from Denver. Sucks to unload the car and golf cart just to change a tire. Spent more time looking over our shoulders to make sure our Colorado high road idiots didn't hit us.
Thanks,
Larry
Demon340 is offline   Reply With Quote