HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #131
tpoh815

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

Brandon currently in f/cm have run g,h,i diff combos though.After spending alot of money I am about .7 under now.Thats it for me.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #132
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks mike that helped alot...sounds like it would be fun and a challenge but man hurting your index that really stinks i guess you would never really know how fast a guy in your class could really go....and if it hits your index perm...does that include carrying over to this season...do they run the spot on the tree by indexes with no dial in.....

5 doors f/cm is a good class in d 9 its not as heavy as c,d,and i....so i think -.7 under isn't bad i always tell my buddies running in other classes that are slower if you average 1 or less heads up a year it doesn't matter how fast your car rund the index...
Brandon Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #133
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,048 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoh815 View Post
Alan do you run a crate motored car? Also what kind of camaro?

I drive, every once in a while, a 69 Camaro 255/350 4 speed, G/S and F/S. It's been as fast as .65 under. The owner also has a 69 Camaro 425/427 automatic A/SA and AA/SA. It's been as fast as 1.01 under in good air. I can assure you they're legal. I hope I'll get a chance to pick both cars up some this year.

You can run 1.0 under legally if you pick a good combination and you work on it. I've seen people spend a lot of money trying to buy fast, and they were still slow.

Most of the stuff I've come across that was cheated up was slow, not fast. Most people who cheat, cheat because they're not smart enough to go fast legally. It usually means they aren't smart enough to cheat and go fast. Yes, there are exceptions. But it has been a general rule for the 30 some years I've been racing the cheated up cars are slow.

I've never liked crate motors, from the time they came out, and wrecked the local circle track scene. I do not like them any more now than I did then.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #134
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Peterson View Post
thanks mike that helped alot...sounds like it would be fun and a challenge but man hurting your index that really stinks i guess you would never really know how fast a guy in your class could really go....and if it hits your index perm...does that include carrying over to this season...do they run the spot on the tree by indexes with no dial in.....

5 doors f/cm is a good class in d 9 its not as heavy as c,d,and i....so i think -.7 under isn't bad i always tell my buddies running in other classes that are slower if you average 1 or less heads up a year it doesn't matter how fast your car rund the index...

Yep, you have to be careful to not hit the Index. Many times a racer has gone to the early Divisional races down south, then the air was good, and hit the whole class before many others in the class were even out of the garage yet. Plus, you run fast in the spring, then you get to summer, with much slower air AND a much tougher Index. Many racers have become unpopular due to a seemingly high disgegard to the Indexes and other drivers in their class. They just go fast and hit it, and switch classes. So for 2007, a rule was implemented saying that if you permanently hit two different classes in one year, you are stuck in one of those two classes for the remainder of that year, which was a good thing. The Index is always the handicap used. There is never a dial-in, just the Class Index. And yes, like S/SS racing, sometimes you never know just how much the other driver is, or may be, holding back.

Yes, Indexes carry over from year to year. For example, A/Nostalgia Dragster was introduced about ten years ago It started at 8.00 or 8.10. The A/ND Index is now 7.46, and still a competitive class for some.

You'll notice that many of the good Comp racers (and many World Champs in the past 10-15 years) came from a Class, bracket, or .90 class background. Fletcher (Hayek still hates you), Rampy, Biondo (Sal and Peter both), Bertozzi, Saye, Stratton, Jeff Taylor, Butner, Lambeck, just to name a few Knowing the importance of getting their first by the slimmest of margins to protect the Index. It's not even uncommon for a racer, knowing they will not get to the stripe first, to lift and lose, just to protect the Index. Losing the battle to win the war later on that year.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #135
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that still sounds pretty cool...it still sounds tough and maybe thats why those guys are the best at driving the stripe even when they don't murder you on the tree
Old 01-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #136
tpoh815

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Wink Re: Crate Motor Class

Alan I went to autoimagery and looked up your car wow! Its very nice. Im pretty sure the bottom end of your 350 looks like mine,I stress the word LOOKS. I understand your point about the crate motors but who wants to spend big money and kiss someones *** to find the rare - right parts. ( the heads that have been left in the parts cleaner too long wink wink!) or the quadrajet that cost more than my intake and carb. Combo is one thing what it really is- is another. The engine is still full of a bunch of rotating parts.To me crate motor or not its all about cubic dollars! I do however give credit when its due and my hats of to your team as the car flies legally.Mike

Last edited by tpoh815; 01-10-2009 at 04:15 PM.
tpoh815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #137
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wink Re: Crate Motor Class

Mike,
Everybody cries about cratemotors being soft.
I know for a fact 4 years ago your conbo would be well over a second under. IHRA has dropped the cratemotor indexes and also added horsepower to that combo.
Now if anyone wants to cry maybe it's the GM crate motors. I can't ever remember a MOPAR getting HP increase.
Chip
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #138
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you doing alright chip
Old 01-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #139
bsa633
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN BUGAJ View Post
Did I start this post, Sure Did, In hopes that NHRA may look at Crate Motor Car's or a GT/Stock.
I didn't start this for a pissing contest,
Build an NHRA car, Why? I live in NC and have 7 or 8 IHRA tracks less than 4 hours from my home.
I just wanted Crate motor's or GT/Stock to be able to cross over.
Ken you surely paid your dues with true Class Cars..and this time you decided to try something else..thats good because now you have tried it and for whatever reason you have you like to continue with what you have..You didn't "pay the price" too build a car that could crossover this time around even though you knew about all this..but now you think it would be nice to be able crossover..hmm..
That rockingham race is that concidered a big IHRA race? I saw 72 on the qualifying sheet..around 40 that could cross over to NHRA among those Fletcher,Bertozzi...so it did probably not conflict with any major NHRA race..so that still leaves the question why not more cars? If it were an NHRA event of any kind on that track i think they would have more cars than that even whitout all these crate's,P/S and GT/S in the mix..wouldn't they?Since IHRA is a friendlier org. it just has to be that the majority dont want a "run whatya brung" bracket race.. I think the answer are pretty obvious..you just dont build an NHRA-type stocker to compete only in IHRA.. it also seems IHRA just want everyone they can get in through the gates..you never end up well if you try to please everybody!

Last edited by bsa633; 01-10-2009 at 06:11 PM.
bsa633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #140
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there are plenty of NHRA able cars only running IHRA...bertozzi and fletch man they run everywhere every weekend...i don't think it matters to them who or what it is