HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 05-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #1
ron morehead

Liked 110 Times in 12 Posts
Default Cowl Hood

I am starting some research for a potential build and I know that NHRA states that you cannot use a Cowl Hood for a 69 Camaro with the 350/255hp. I have researched the White book for Camaros and all over the Internet and do not see anywhere from Chevrolet stating that you could not order a cowl induction hood for this combo. I am aware that if you ordered a SS option you would get that hood with that package. I see that if you order the Z28 package it does not come with the cowl hood but from personal experience of seeing a build and order sheet for a Z28 you could get that hood even though it did not come with the option. Can someone please point me in the right direction for this info. I know there are a ton of racers that lived through this era. Thanks
ron morehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,770 Times in 1,518 Posts
Default Re: Cowl Hood

Hi Ron! The cowl hood became available after Jan. 1 1969 as an option on SS Camaros, Z/28 Camaros and I believe they were Std. Equipment on Copos. I'm not absolutely positive about the Copos but if I'm wrong, I'm sure that someone will let me know. As the 350/255 was the highest HP engine available in a "base" Camaro, it wouldn't have been available with the cowl hood option. The std. hood on any SS regardless of engine would have been the "porthole" hood. The std. hood on a Z/28 would have been a flat hood as it wasn't an SS.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
jamie2370

Liked 236 Times in 89 Posts

GM did not have a cowl hood option on the 255hp engine. 300hp option yes but not 255. just fyi... this is a dead horse, but if you want to keep beating it have fun cause they(NHRA) don't care lol
jamie2370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
ron morehead

Liked 110 Times in 12 Posts

I have spoken to old sales persons that sold these cars in 69 1 guy particular swears he sold those hoods on everything except to 2 bbl cars never made an air cleaner setup for that carb/ hood set up. What I don’t understand is there is an option for just hood with no mention that cannot be on s 255 just looking for Chevrolet info seems like a lot of hearsay no difinitive evidence please some prove me wrong so I can plan properly
ron morehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
kwm

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron morehead View Post
I have spoken to old sales persons that sold these cars in 69 1 guy particular swears he sold those hoods on everything except to 2 bbl cars never made an air cleaner setup for that carb/ hood set up. What I don’t understand is there is an option for just hood with no mention that cannot be on s 255 just looking for Chevrolet info seems like a lot of hearsay no difinitive evidence please some prove me wrong so I can plan properly
The cowl hood was an option on Z-28, SS, Pace Cars and standard on COPO's the 350/255 was not available in any of those combinations
Liked
Old 05-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #6
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,582 Times in 1,279 Posts

Ron, this ship has sailed. This was NOT a knee jerk reaction from NHRA. You could contact Jerry McNeish, he is highly regarded as an expert on 69 Camaros. NHRA may have consulted him before they made their decision ?
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #7
MAURICE BLENDHEIM

Liked 226 Times in 77 Posts

Ron...Check out : Camaro.org (Camaro Research Group)
You will find all the information you need, the site is extremely informative. The Cowl Hood was the ZL2 option. All the COPO's and ZL1 cars came with them, as Standard equipment. Those cars all had Holley's and a sealed to hood air filter assembly. I bought a 69 SS 350/255 , TH350 column shift and 10 bolt. It Originally came with the porthole hood inserts.
I am currently building a Hugger Orange ZL1 Clone out of it (beyond Bucket List). Hope this helps...Maurice.
MAURICE BLENDHEIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #8
B Parker

Liked 2,312 Times in 455 Posts

Ron, look up the Camaro Research Group (CRG). Yes there is actually one. If you join from what I understand they can get you that answer. Barry ----- Maurice you beat me by a couple of minutes

Last edited by B Parker; 05-24-2020 at 09:29 PM. Reason: was a repeat answer
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #9
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

I recall this question being discussed on this site a few years ago ... lots of debate and info was offered. In the end however if we want to play in the NHRA sandbox ... well you know the rest LOL.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #10
B Parker

Liked 2,312 Times in 455 Posts

Anyway year ago when I raced a 350/255 my brother and I did the hood swap at the track to see if it was worth anything. With the cowl hood and air cleaner base we felt at the most .04. With the flat hood now that you can run an after market air cleaner base there is no advantage. BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote