HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Garage Tech

Old 12-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
Mack Reeves

Liked 45 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: floor paint/epoxy

I did my garage floors back in 2008 when I built it... I used Rust O Leum (SP) .. I got the industrial strength... Its comes in several colors and has the flakes and all... The only thing is I think its too hard.... Anything that slides or even a stool that gets scooted across it scratches the floor... You can wet mop it and it does cover some of them but I just did not expect that... I can't recommend it for that reason... I have a neighbor that built his commerical garage about the same time and he used U Coat IT and he is still very satisified with his.... When the time comes to re-do mine that will be what I use....
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Before you paint. You must acid etch and dry well. I did my floor when brand new in 1999.
After acid etching I used Sherwin Williams 2 part epoxy paint w a roller.Mix it when you use it. 2 coats. Commercial grade. Never lifted. Only damage was a clunker engine mishap chipping it. No chemical has ever penetrated it. Flakes were optional. I said no, contractor was a flake enough for me who built garage, lol.
Chris.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Benaslopoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My covered carport was painted 6-7 years ago with (??) paint.. If I apply epoxy or (??) to it.. Do I need to etch the floor if it has paint or (??) on it now.. It's held up fairly well but , it's time.. What should I use?
Benaslopoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

On my last house I used the Rustolium brand stuff and put the chips in it. I found it was very hard to sweep and get all the dust out. On my current home and shop I used rustolium again but did not put the chips in it and it is alot smoother and easier to keep clean. Current floors were done 10 years ago and other than a few chips here and there from dropping stuff they are fine except for some very light fading near the doors and windows.

Last edited by Rob Petrie E395; 08-22-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just completed a garage renovation over Memorial Day weekend. I used Shield Crete from Sherwin Williams. I researched online for sometime and it boiled down to 3 brands - Shield Crete, Armor Coating and U-Coat It. Based on my online searches, I felt that all three brands were relatively the same. At the time, Sherwin Williams was having a 40% off sale which is what put them over the edge. I cannot stress enough on the prep work prior to laying down the epoxy. I did not like the outcome the cleaner/degreaser so I rented a concrete grinder so I could ensure getting all of the stains from oil, grime and petroleum products that leached out of tires into the concrete for 26 years would come out. After I took about a 1/64th of an inch off the top, I power washed the garage out and then acid etched it, and then power washed it out 3 times. Layed down the epoxy (beige) and added the chips. After it set for about 30 hours, I layed down 2 coats of sealer on top. I then let it cure for 6 days before I rolled the cars in. The directions state to allow 72 hours though. I just wanted to make sure. So far so good. None of it has peeled up. I am having tire staining issues though and cannot seem to scrub enough to remove the stains. I have used Simple Green, Spray 9, Castrol Super Cleaner and Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Any advice? As soon as I get the stains up I will be putting down some type of rug or device so the tires can no longer stain the floor.

Thanks
Ronnie Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote