HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 01-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Dave Steltz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Speeds in S/G

So a few (well maybe about 8) years ago when I decided to build a SG car, seemed like 150 was FAST...
I knew a couple of guys that were in the 140's and that seemed like a reasonable number, and I figured that I could make my new car be close to 150...So then all of a sudden, 150 was mid pack...
Fast forward a couple of years and 150 is now slowwwww...I know that in the past two years about 80% of my races I was the slower guy..Seems like the norm now is 555 plus size motors and 165 is the norm (in Div 1 anyhow)...
Yea I know there are still a bunch of guys who will say 150 is still not bad,but the point is..

How soon before 175...180...185...

Whats the "max" going to be for SG...without going completely crazy , what is the max speed for a 9.90 car...you can only run so much time inthe TS before it really kills the MPH....
Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Eddie Arnold Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Speeds in S/G

Its the America way ,,,, Bigger is always better ,,,

Like you I ran 148/150 and couldn't buy a round unless I was dead on with a .00X light !!

Switched to the Big , Big Block and started going rounds ,,, had so much fun , that I'm going even faster this year ,,,, with CBS's motor ,,,, Got tired of taking a switch blade to a Gun Fight !!

On the real side ,, and at some point the high MPH cars get inconsistent ,,, I for one don't know what that point and MPH is ,,,, but I plan on finding out in 2009 !!

Colorful 37
Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts

From what I see at the races in divisions 4, 5, and 7 the average speed in SG is about 155 to 160.
A few years back I witnessed the Jegs car at Chicago go 9.90 at 200 MPH. I think he only went one round with it so I would say 200 MPH is a little to fast to be consistent.
When I built my new car in 2006 it went 163 to 165 at 9.90 and I was usually in the top 10 MPH cars in the field.
Not any more. There are lots of cars with more MPH than mine now.
My biggest concern is the idiots who lock up the brakes at the finish line with the big MPH and hurt themselves and others.
My 2 Cents
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
sst7250

Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts

A little off topic, at least class wise. But what are the thoughts on fast cars in S/ST? My heap is to heavy for S/G IMO at 2800lbs with no ballast. I am planning to give S/ST a try with it but not sure it can be consistent. I have not had a chance to get out with the new converter yet but should go 165ish all out in the low 8's(been in the .20's with the wrong converter). I was able last year to get the car dialed with the old motor at 150 in S/ST trim, thinking the new engine will net me low 160's.?.Any thoughts?
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Barney B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst7250 View Post
A little off topic, at least class wise. But what are the thoughts on fast cars in S/ST? My heap is to heavy for S/G IMO at 2800lbs with no ballast. I am planning to give S/ST a try with it but not sure it can be consistent. I have not had a chance to get out with the new converter yet but should go 165ish all out in the low 8's(been in the .20's with the wrong converter). I was able last year to get the car dialed with the old motor at 150 in S/ST trim, thinking the new engine will net me low 160's.?.Any thoughts?
I love it!
Barney B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any thoughts? Yea here's a thought drop 700 lbs and run S/G.........
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

Well Dave...... I'm kinda with you on this topic........ I bought my Roadster and put it together to run in S/C, if you remember......... the first year out there in D1 I was pretty happy going 8.90 @ 155 or 156....... the dragsters back then were only going 160 or so..... I was pretty competitive until the dragsters started showing up and going 170 to 180, and now even faster in D1.......... so I moved to S/G where I was doing pretty well and having fun going 9.90 @ 153 or 154........ BUT....... in D1 it seemed that in the drop of a hat most guys are running 163 to 168 with their recently new set ups........ and I'm really feeling that with some testing in the converter and tire area, these guy will easily be into the 170's .........

I really don't see spending a ton of money anymore in trying to keep up......and in a 27 Roadster there is only "SO FAST" before the front fenders start doing a funny dance....... I learned last year that I can dial my car and it responds and does what I want when I want it to........ the only problem I had last year was that I had it in my head that I had to have the stripe and it cost me a lot of rounds........ when you're the slower MPH car, you just have to learn your car and run the top end........ I'm making some low dollar changes that should pick up my power and MPH a bit, but it will probably be a wash cause the fast MPH cars will probably also be picking up...... I only hope they keep it safe......... don't know where this MPH thing will stop, but they all have to run 9.90........

So Dave...... just pit next to me this year and we can shake our heads together....... but whenever we hang out, we do enjoy the race.......
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
sst7250

Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Verwold View Post
Any thoughts? Yea here's a thought drop 700 lbs and run S/G.........
Would love to but in this car it aint gonna happen. Been looking for a lite car I fit in for almost two years now. I like to run the car wide open when bracket racing maybe we got carried away in the power department.
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
Dave Steltz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst7250 View Post
Would love to but in this car it aint gonna happen. Been looking for a lite car I fit in for almost two years now. I like to run the car wide open when bracket racing maybe we got carried away in the power department.
Have you actually tried to run SG ? Is it you think that you wont be able to hit the tree ?

Everyones friend GaryGoFast has a 2800 lbs chassis car, runs 8.50 ish out the door and with just a couple of changes has no issue hitting a .370 tree here in D1, so dunno why you cant...Whats your converter stall at and where's your 4 link set ?

I think the issue of going 160 is SST is getting the cruise RPM down low enough to have minimal time in the stop timer so you can get a longer run at the traps...
Old 01-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
Dave Steltz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Yannetti View Post
Well Dave...... I'm kinda with you on this topic........ I bought my Roadster and put it together to run in S/C, if you remember......... the first year out there in D1 I was pretty happy going 8.90 @ 155 or 156....... the dragsters back then were only going 160 or so..... I was pretty competitive until the dragsters started showing up and going 170 to 180, and now even faster in D1.......... so I moved to S/G where I was doing pretty well and having fun going 9.90 @ 153 or 154........ BUT....... in D1 it seemed that in the drop of a hat most guys are running 163 to 168 with their recently new set ups........ and I'm really feeling that with some testing in the converter and tire area, these guy will easily be into the 170's .........

I really don't see spending a ton of money anymore in trying to keep up......and in a 27 Roadster there is only "SO FAST" before the front fenders start doing a funny dance....... I learned last year that I can dial my car and it responds and does what I want when I want it to........ the only problem I had last year was that I had it in my head that I had to have the stripe and it cost me a lot of rounds........ when you're the slower MPH car, you just have to learn your car and run the top end........ I'm making some low dollar changes that should pick up my power and MPH a bit, but it will probably be a wash cause the fast MPH cars will probably also be picking up...... I only hope they keep it safe......... don't know where this MPH thing will stop, but they all have to run 9.90........

So Dave...... just pit next to me this year and we can shake our heads together....... but whenever we hang out, we do enjoy the race.......
Charlie, I'm with ya...I didnt build a 165 mph car, and certainly dont have the budget to install a drivetrain to do that...I got some new heads from Santa this year and am looking at maybe 155 but thats it...I figure its about a 20 K hit at least to get 10 more MPH...