HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
SG1809

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Everybody Who Tows a Trailer Should Read This

Hi All,
I spent some time this moring contacting several government agencies regarding the towing of trailers, RV's Motor homes,Commercial Operations etc. that effect us to and from the track. I've been involved in trucking for many years but I'm not an expert just sharing what I found and was told.

I contacted the Federal Motor Carrier Administration and also the New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicles, you can access their websites for further information. I copied several rules and regulations that I suggest you read and copy and keep with you. What I can tell you that allot of these rules are interpeted differently by Local Authorities. Being educated about this may help.

The person at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Field Office said that if we have a paying sponsor then we are subject to the same rules as a Commercial Carrier or if we are compensated for Racing, getting paid to race etc. it is considered a commercial Operation. I asked him where that rule could be found and he directed me to Rule 390 on thier site. (see below). Also asked abouth Length laws and he stated that each state has it's own laws. (see NJ,MV below).

I also contacted NJ Division of Motor Vehicles regarding the registration of the trailers we use, I mentioned that both my RV Trailer and Car trailer (Living Quarters) were registered as Private Utilitiy Trailers code 22 and they said that was correct, that they are not considered Commerical Trailers. If we get stopped out of state we should explain that is NJ law.(See below).

So, that's what I found out, I hope it helps, it's still pretty vague in some areas but if you know some of the rules and regulations it may help make an educated argument when stopped.

Regards,

Pat I
SG1809

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

§571.3 Definitions.

[Editor's Note: Definition of “recreation vehicle trailer” will be added effective June 2, 2008.]
Recreation vehicle trailer means a trailer, except a trailer designed primarily to transport cargo, designed to be drawn by a vehicle with motive power by means of a bumper, frame or fifth wheel hitch and designed to provide temporary residential accommodations, as evidenced by the presence of at least four of the following facilities: cooking; refrigeration or ice box; self-contained toilet; heating and/or air conditioning; a potable water supply system including a faucet and a sink; and a separate 110–125 volt electrical power supply and/or propane. “Recreation vehicle trailer” includes trailers used for personal purposes, commonly known as “sport utility RVs” or “toy haulers,” which usually have spacious rather than incidental living quarters and provide a cargo area for smaller items for personal use such as motorcycles, mountain bikes, all terrain vehicles (ATVs), snowmobiles, canoes or other types of recreational gear.

§390.5 Definitions.
Unless specifically defined elsewhere, in this subchapter:

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.
For-hire motor carrier means a person engaged in the transportation of goods or passengers for compensation.
Gross combination weight rating (GCWR) means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination (articulated) motor vehicle. In the absence of a value specified by the manufacturer, GCWR will be determined by adding the GVWR of the power unit and the total weight of the towed unit and any load thereon.
Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single motor vehicle.
Interstate commerce means trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—
(1) Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);
(2) Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
(3) Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.
Intrastate commerce means any trade, traffic, or transportation in any State which is not described in the term "interstate commerce."
Motor carrier means a for hire motor carrier or a private motor carrier. The term includes a motor carrier's agents, officers and representatives as well as employees responsible for hiring, supervising, training, assigning, or dispatching of drivers and employees concerned with the installation, inspection, and maintenance of motor vehicle equipment and/or accessories. For purposes of subchapter B, this definition includes the terms employer and exempt motor carrier.
Private motor carrier means a person who provides transportation of property or passengers, by commercial motor vehicle, and is not a for-hire motor carrier.

NJ Department of Motor Vehicles:

Private utilities, house semi-trailers and trailers
All private utilities, house semi-trailers and privately used trailers are included in Code 22 regulations.

To register your vehicle, please visit an MVC Agency with proof of identification to complete an application (Form BA-49) and pay the registration fee. You will need to present a notarized bill of sale or a notarized statement of receipt from the seller that includes the following:
• Year
• Make
• Serial Number
• Name of buyer
• Purchase price
• Date and sellers signature
Every vehicle, including non-conventional vehicles, must contain a manufacturer's serial number. An Agency may only assign a serial number on homemade trailers.

To register a homemade trailer you need to visit an MVC Agency with acceptable proof of identification to complete an application (Form BA-49) and pay the registration fee.

As part of the inspection process, you will need to provide receipts for all parts used to build the trailer or a notarized statement and a certified weight slip if receipts cannot be provided.
• If the trailer is more than 2,500 lbs., you will need to complete an application for Certificate of Ownership for a homemade trailer

The law limits vehicles of this type to the following dimensions:
• Width 96 inches
• Height 13 feet 6 inches
• Length single vehicle 35 feet
• Length semi-trailer and towing vehicle 48 feet
• Length trailer and towing vehicle 58 feet
When figuring any dimension, safety equipment items (such as mirrors or lights) are not included if they do not exceed the overall limitations.
• If the GVWR (including load) is more than 3,000 lbs. or 40% of the towing vehicle's gross weight, the trailer must be equipped with brakes
• Vehicles of this type can only be operated with a special permit from MVC. To request an application for a permit, contact:
Motor Vehicle Commission
Motor Carriers Unit
225 East State Street
P.O. Box 013
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0013
Commission: Locations | Vehicles | Licenses | Violations | Inspections | Commercial | About MVC | Contact Us
Statewide: NJ home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQ's | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 2007

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 160
Trenton, NJ 08666
(609) 292-6500 or toll free in NJ (888) 486-3339
TTY (609) 292-5120
Contact Us

Last Updated: July 16, 2007
SG1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Ed Swearingen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Ed Swearingen
Default Re: Everybody Who Tows a Trailer Should Read This

Regulations relative to towing should be uniform from state to state, simple and written with a large dose of common sense. It's a pity that the govenments of the various states have made them so complex that even those charged with enforcement don't understand the law.
Ed Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOW, Texas is 102" wide and 65' long.
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
SG1809

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
WOW, Texas is 102" wide and 65' long.

I think that may apply to commercial vehicles, The NJ List is for non-commercial.

Pat
SG1809
Old 08-23-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's for non-commercail.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
SG1809

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
It's for non-commercail.

That's why it's such a pain trying to comply with all the different rules. If you get a ticket then it's up to you to fight it and if your out of state it makes it even more of a problem.

Pat
SG1809
Old 08-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's why I try to stay in state. Unless i win enough $ to pay for the ticket, LOL. But of course I would tell the cop that I lost 2nd round.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
sidney norwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Everybody Who Tows a Trailer Should Read This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Swearingen View Post
Regulations relative to towing should be uniform from state to state, simple and written with a large dose of common sense. It's a pity that the govenments of the various states have made them so complex that even those charged with enforcement don't understand the law.
"Boy, what you got in that there trailer?" The proper response is "Officer it is a show car and I am in route to a charity fundraiser." Face it if we win it is almost like charity and we certainly need the funds....Just kidding...
Old 08-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
wsmracing
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone heard anything about a meeting they were supposed to have in nc today in reference to this 60 ft. Law...........go to google....type in north carolina maximum length law & click on the title 2007 update......it was signed august 17,2008
wsmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Lynn Hoosigian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmracing View Post
Has anyone heard anything about a meeting they were supposed to have in nc today in reference to this 60 ft. Law...........go to google....type in north carolina maximum length law & click on the title 2007 update......it was signed august 17,2008
Can't seem to find what your talking about Wayne. Saw nothing 2007 update - could be me as I'm not that literate!!!!