HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 01-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
brian schuetta

Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Default Dime Rocket Economics

When building a dime rocket combo there are decisions to be made on where to spend the money to keep it a, well, " dime " rocket. So for the an engine like the 305 2bbl does it make sense to use a low tension ring set with relatively cheap piston? I don't think a lot of head work would be necessary either, such as the throat/bowl work like something on the 305 4bbl combos. Don't really have any good idea on the cam specs either at this point as far as duration. There was a bit of difference from where I started with the 4bbl combo cam duration and where I ended up. All the core parts are here, block, heads, intake, carb etc. with the accepted cheap Scat rods and cast pistons. Our members opinions?
brian schuetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:33 AM   #2
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,776 Times in 569 Posts
Default Re: Dime Rocket Economics

I ran cast pistons and a low tension oil ring or TRW replacement
forged pistons for many years. They worked fine....just not the optimal
set up. I still run a cast piston in my high ten second bracket car and it works fine.
You will not be a second under BUT should run under the index on the
cheap.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian schuetta View Post
When building a dime rocket combo there are decisions to be made on where to spend the money to keep it a, well, " dime " rocket. So for the an engine like the 305 2bbl does it make sense to use a low tension ring set with relatively cheap piston? I don't think a lot of head work would be necessary either, such as the throat/bowl work like something on the 305 4bbl combos. Don't really have any good idea on the cam specs either at this point as far as duration. There was a bit of difference from where I started with the 4bbl combo cam duration and where I ended up. All the core parts are here, block, heads, intake, carb etc. with the accepted cheap Scat rods and cast pistons. Our members opinions?
Well, I've got Silvolite cast pistons in my 307 Chebby and the short-block is 12 years old. You're not dealing with a 7700 RPM combo here maybe 6500.
I also don't "play" with the latest trick-of-the-week ring package. You're just not going to find enough to make it worth it. I like good, old fashioned cast re-builders rings. If I have the time, I'll back-cut the second ring and I'll play mix and match with oil ring rails and expanders. Don't be afraid to use a std. expander (even the used one) with a .030 rail on a .030 piston (break out the old "fish scale" and start pulling pistons through blocks with your oil ring assembled on it!).
I've gotten in trouble making cam suggestions on here before but IMHO,you don't put 8000 RPM cams in 6000 RPM motors. The carburetor is going to dictate where the engine is going to make it's peak power. Don't go too big on the cam. Cylinder pressure is your friend.
I don't think that you're going to have any problems with air-flow in a "stock" 2V 305 head. DO at least use a one piece stainless valve. You can find plenty of decent ones on E-Bay for a "dime" budget.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #4
brian schuetta

Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Something I have thought about when selecting a cam was the LSA. It is said the narrower LSA is used in an engine that's under valved. But when you are talking the same size engine with a 325 cfm carb vs a 750 cfm carb is the engine still under valved. In other words if a 305 with 1.84/1.5 valves is under valved with a 750 cfm carb is a 305 with 1.72/1.5 valves and 325(?) cfm less under valved or is the situation worse because of less cfm? I thought the answer was obvious but then I've been wrong before. I was lucky with the 4bbl combo to have someone share a grind number with me that at the time was very good.
brian schuetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Bob Shaw

Liked 290 Times in 58 Posts

Brian,
You don't need to guess at what cam you need. Call Chris Padgitt at Bullet Cams. He knows what everyone else uses and what will work best for you. I have bought my cams from him over 20 years and they always work.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Hi Bob! Well, there ya go! I use Bullet Cams in all of my stuff.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
Bob Shaw

Liked 290 Times in 58 Posts

Billie,
I guess I implied that I use Bullet cams. I actually use Comp cams and have used them for many years. I always dealt with Chris when he worked for Lunati and then Comp.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #8
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 652 Times in 252 Posts

My 307 Olds has the Silvolite piston, but I did spend money on a ring package and cam from Bullet. Coming to a track any day now to see if I did anything right. So far im under $10k
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote