HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
cujo3116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Southern Ontario 9.90 Races/Series

Hi, I am looking to try and put 2 or 3 9.90 races together in Southern Ontario this summer and I was wondering how much interest there would be for this?

The idea would be to have an all run field, qualified on a ladder for round 1 (based on running closest to 9.90). The class would run under IHRA rules for Super Rod. The only exception being that NOS assisted cars could run with the class.

I am thinking entry fee would be $50, Round 1 win and you get half your entry fee back ($25) every round win after that is another $25. I am looking to find sponsors to secure the Winners purse (Win would guarantee $500 min if I can get race sponsors)

Right now I am looking for feedback from anyone interested in running some of these races. IF enough interest comes forward I would be willing to look at the logistics of running a series.

If you dont want to reply in the thread PM me.

Thanks,

Andrew Stirk
DSE Racing
cujo3116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
elekes 1996

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Southern Ontario 9.90 Races/Series

i would be interested in series. i suggest you follow ted barnes format in the tnt series. his format, rules. payout, points system, are very simple to understand and to race with. the tnt series is competitive, challenging, and most importantly fun to participate in. ted and his dad do a very nice job managing the series.
elekes 1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
JJ3159

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lose the nos if we cant use it on the road why practice with it.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
cujo3116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the payout I think what I have is very similar to what the TNT series is using. In regards to points if this can get far enough to be a points series then we could look at what the TNT series is doing and maybe see if it would work as well.

In regards to the NOS, I only added it to try garner some interest from some local non Super Gas/ Super Rod racers who might want to race. All of this is based around interest level and expected participation.

How do you guys feel about running at Toronto Motorsports Park? (Cayuga dragway) and one or two day races?

Need the input so keep it coming guys. Thanks very much.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
cujo3116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know theres quiet a few Super Gas/ Super Rod racers in Ontario and Western New York who are also on this board. So how about it guys and girls?

The race dates would be be selected based upon trying to NOT be the same weekend as any close IHRA or NHRA races. Those that are interested what race weekends are you planning to run with the NHRA or IHRA?

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 01-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Andrew,

You should talk with Phil Harden as he has been trying to organize some S/G races at NYIRP and I THINK at Lancaster too. I'm not going to try to discourage you, but over the years it has been difficult getting people to participate in local S/G events. Personally, I think a lot of it is the fear of the 4-tenths pro tree. There are obviously plenty of cars out there that can run 9.90, but many of them are just under the index, a lot of them don't have throttle stops, and TONS of them have never tried a 4-tenths pro tree. I think that keeps a lot of guys from simply giving it a try, whereas they're more likely to try S/St with the 5-tenth pro tree.

Regardless, if I'm racing this year (still undecided this year due to finances), I would say my participation would only be 50/50. I set my chassis up differently for S/G and S/St (weight, front-end travel, 4-link, etc.), and switching back and forth is kind of a pain. But, it's possible - I like going faster, so that would certainly be a draw for me.

Anyway, good luck putting it together. I hope you get a lot of participation.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
cujo3116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the advice, I was actually wondering who the gentleman was putting on races in New York. I had heard about them but never heard his name.

The reason I wanted to try and put this together was I felt there was a class segment that maybe wasnt being looked at by the local race tracks (and also because I have a Super Rod car) that could be a viable class locally.

I did alittle homework before I thought about suggesting this and looked at how many potential Super Gas or Super Rod racers lived within 3.5 hours drive of either TMP or Grand Bend , I searched the qualfying sheets for local IHRA/NHRA divisionals and nationals as well as looking at the last TMP IHRA national event and the 2009 Grand Bend National and found that there are 17-21 active S/R or S/G Candian cars within 3.5 hours of either track.

When you start looking at Grand Bend and using the same 3.5 hour drive time radius for both Canadian and US racers that number increases to 29-31 (using the 2009 Grand Bend Nat as a indicator of which U.S racers have passports, live with 3.5 hours and are willing to race in Canada)

Cayuga faired much the same having 30-33 potential S/R S/G racers who have raced within the last 2 years (2008-2009). And New York always seemed to have quite a few 9.90 cars historically (or atleast from what I recall from seeing at Lancaster in the 90's)

Thats essentially how I came up with the potential for this class in this area, I didnt factor any possible non super gas compliant cars that might switch because I figured that number would be low if at all existant.

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited by cujo3116; 01-29-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo's and lots.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
philip a harnden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi andy,
this is phil harnden i been reading the emails about having s/g races in canada..when you get chance give me call if you would like. I am home after 3:00 pm days (585- 594- 2543). Last week i gave new york raceway the dates we would like ( 1 month may- october) for 2010. Yes might come to cayaga for s/g race.,but would not go to gend bend.
Phil harnden
philip a harnden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo3116 View Post
I did alittle homework before I thought about suggesting this and looked at how many potential Super Gas or Super Rod racers lived within 3.5 hours drive of either TMP or Grand Bend , I searched the qualfying sheets for local IHRA/NHRA divisionals and nationals as well as looking at the last TMP IHRA national event and the 2009 Grand Bend National and found that there are 17-21 active S/R or S/G Candian cars within 3.5 hours of either track.
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, so don't take my comments below the wrong way.

Though your research is good, it also shows just how difficult I believe it will be to pull a good number of cars to TMP for a S/G event. Of the 17 - 21 active cars within that 3.5 hour radius, what percentage do you think you will pull? 75%? I personally don't think you would get 75%, but for a moment let's say you do. That means of the 17 - 21 active cars, you would have 13 - 16 show up. Now, how many other non-active local racers do you think you will get to switch from S/Pro to S/G? History has shown this number to be EXTREMELY low. But, for argument's sake, let's say you got 3 locals to race S/G as well (which is probably 2 or 3 more than you would REALLY get). That means AT BEST I would see you putting together a show of 16 - 19 cars.

Now, a 16 - 19 car show isn't bad for a local S/G race, but unless you're able to get some sponsors to pony up some money, I don't think you're going to pull guys from 3.5 hours away. For me TMP is about 3 hours away (including bridge / customs time), or about 150 miles. At 6 mpg (which is probably conservative for me), that means I burn 50 gallons of gas, or spend $150 just to tow there and back. Add-in entry fees and tolls, and what am I out just to get in the track, probably $250 ($150 Gas + $50 Car & Driver Entry + $15 Tolls + $35 track / crew entry)? That obviously doesn't include food, or wear and tear on my stuff (or the PITA at the border). I like racing S/G, but personally I'm not going to tow 3.5 hours to "win" $400, which is probably all you would be able to pay with 16 - 19 cars and no sponsors (I'm assuming a $50 entry with 100% payback).

Now, if you can get a sponsor or two to kick in some money to raise that payout a bit, you might get me to change my mind, as well as the other guys that are near the limit of the 3.5 hour tow.

Again, I'm not trying to discourage you from trying to set this up. I just want you to realize that I don't think it will be easy to get a large number of cars to compete (20+). I think the lack of response to this thread is a bit of a testament to that.

But, I wish you the best of luck, and hope that you do organize an event or two, as it just gives us WNY and Southern Ontario racers more options.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
cujo3116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Phil, glad you posted, I will try to call early this week.

Jason- Not to worry I understand what your saying. And you do make some good points. What I would do to counter act that thought of "low car count low purse" would be to use sponsorships to make guarenteed purses for the Winner and maybe Runner Up. I do have some potentially interested sponsors, my biggest obstacle is to be able to find the interest from racers.

Right now I believe I could put on a 1-2 day race at TMP this summer and be able to guarentee $500 to win no problem just with the optimistic response I have had from companies when I spoke th them However if only 3 cars show up it might only be one weekend that we ever get a chance to run a Super Gas race.

This is more of a general question but would anyone out there who is interested in running one of these racers be more committed to participate if there was a BOX ET gamblers race for anyone who lost early on that same day (You would be able to run your throttle stop set-up in the Bracket class). essentially giving you more chances to get down the track over the weekend ?

Thanks guys for the input.

Andrew