HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-02-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
mginnett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stock Eliminator feasibility study

Michael Ginnett from Anchorage, Alaska here. I own a 1967 Chevelle (2 Dr. Malibu car) that I run as a bracket car at Alaska Raceway Park (IHRA track), which is relatively un-butchered, consistent 10.90's at 1000' corrected density altitude, 476 / Hughes Glide. I raced the Hot Rod class at the IHRA World Finals in Rockingham through some bizarre curcumstances last October (fouled out .009 in the first round.... nice). Several racers commented that my car may make a decent stock eliminator ride. I thought about that, and it seems like an attractive option; watching stock was fascinating. I would run our non-electronics bracket up here, but if I wanted to make a divisional or national event outside, it provided an oportunity to run a dial-in class in which I could possibly be competitive (insert joke here).
I understand that a 1967 Chevelle may not be the number one choice as a platform for the killer race car, but I already own it. In reviewing the stock eliminator rules, the scope seems intimidating.
My first inclination; the IHRA Crate Motor classes, we could drop in a massaged GM 502 / 502 with a Turbo 350 (or 200?) and run D or E /CM. The possibility of running one under the index??? Watch out, Bertozzi, Terry Taylor, Michael Beard, etc.
Further considerations; living out west, there are more NHRA options than IHRA, so the possibility of an E/SA or F/SA 350 HP 396 automatic car legal for both sanctioning bodies crossed my mind. Assembling an NHRA legal engine with the correct casting numbers, etc. looks like it can be a rather intimidating and expensive task.
Please offer opinions and suggestions. Many detailed questions surface beyond my overview. (I.E. does NHRA require stamped steel rockers for what is basically a highly abused engine? How do these hold up? Am I pissing into the wind with the onslaught of FI cars?) Is there a 1-800 build me a stock eliminator engine number I can dial?
I apologize if this post is ignorant beyond the realm of the folks that normally post here. It refelects the lack of knowledge of the author.

Best Regards
Michael Ginnett
IHRA HR 567
TOP ET 5X67
mginnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Stock Eliminator feasibility study

Michael,
I would stick with what you are doing. You could always run 10.90 if you wanted to go to a divisional.

If you really want to run stock look at logistics. How many NHRA vs. IHRA would you attend. If you can run several events a year the 396 might be the way to go.

Finally If you're going to still bracket race and can only run 1 or 2 races a year do the crate motor.
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Stock Eliminator feasibility study

Hey Michael, glad to see your post here. Hope you had a safe trip back from Rockingham.

If you want to run 10.90, a little tweaking and a K&N stubstack will get you where you need to be. Man! If we would've had just one more qualifying run at Rockingham, I think we could've had you dialed in! Had a great time talking with you.

Good luck with your project, no matter what way you decide to go.

Last edited by Michael Beard; 01-02-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Michael Beard is offline   Reply With Quote