HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
JOE FIANO STK1267

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Need info on ft end set up on 1967 nova

The front end of my car is pretty stiff,just want some info on a set up or what springs?shocks to use?Any advise would be greatly appricated thanks....
JOE FIANO STK1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Need info on ft end set up on 1967 nova

I have a 64 Nova with stock set up.I use Competition Engineering 90/10 ft shocks with Moroso trick springs but I cut off one complete coil to set the ft end down some. Also put stops on lower control arm so wheels don't go down to far on the launch. Hope this is some help to you ,I think a 67 is the same. Good luck.
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Smile Re: Need info on ft end set up on 1967 nova

Before you go too far, you might take the shocks off and see how stiff it is. You might have some other things to do first. Global West has some nice stuff. It is a bit $$ up front, but takes punishment for years.
We run the stuff on our 66 Nova stocker.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 503 Times in 126 Posts

I run Lakewood 90/10 on the front with moroso springs. As stated above install travel limiters on the front. I found out guys like Tim Nicholson,Robin Brown,etc have little to no travel at all. That is how I set mine up.Good luck. You did not say what class you will be running with this car.

Ed Carpenter

66 Chevy II

4244 SS/I

Last edited by Ed Carpenter; 12-29-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Ed Carpenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Joe, With a Div 1 Stock number, I'll guess that's what you'll be running . Front end limiters wouldn't be legal , but shorter shocks would do the same thing . You'll need some travel with 9 " tires but you'll find you'll have a tremendous amount of toe-in the higher up it goes.
I'd start by pulling the strut rod bushings in ( shorter) as far as you can go. You can shim the front of the upper control arm out to gain some more caster. By now , your tires will be hitting the headers. Time for some smaller ones .
Next, you'll need to heat and bend the steering arms and idler / Pitman arms to match the travel of the lower a -arm pivot points to minimize toe-in change near the top .
You've got your hands full with that suspension design. Good luck
Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
Don Fardie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Joe,
Setting up an early Nova front end can be a challenge as noted with some of the comments. Global West is your best resource for front end replacement parts. They use a special bushing set up that wears like iron. Well worth the investment. I too run the Moroso springs and Comp 90/10 shocks and as Mark said, limiters are illegal in Stock. What are you running for rear leafs? The Cal-Tracs Split- Mono leaf works really well and they definitely help in the weight transfer. I also suggest you tack weld all the bushing in the control arms. These are pressed fit in stamped steel and are not a great set up for holding an alignment in a race application. Also box off the lower arm to help beef it up. After you?re able to make a few passes, try to get some good shots of the car at mid track and have the Front end re-aligned at that ride height. It may look a little weird driving around in the pits, but when going down the track, the front end will set up having the least amount of drag. You can also go the extra mile as Mark noted in re-bending parts to compensate for the great Nova front end geometry, but have someone who really knows what he is doing if you go that route.
Good Luck????..Don
Old 12-29-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Dave Goob Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Someone makes a nice coil over shock deal that bolts on, but I'm not sure it's legal, and I'd have to search back to find the manufacturer.....
Dave Goob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
JOE FIANO STK1267

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the calvert split mono"s in the rear with slapper bars,up front i have stock 6cylinder springs and stock shocks,it 60 fts 1.4's.I would like to be in the 1.30"s.i'm goin to try the moroso springs and 90-10 shocks,Any good suggestions on shocks?do they make longer or shorter lengths for these cars?when i loosen the top shock bolts it free's up the frt end alittle,It will be alittle while til i get the car out of the trailer,The weather in new yorks not so great right now.
JOE FIANO STK1267 is offline   Reply With Quote