Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #91
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,481 Times in 1,703 Posts
Default Re: 1978 Mustang II

Quote:
Originally Posted by B/S 428 View Post
would that be Gary Summers current U/SA record holder-I had heard he was running the 1.21 carb?
You heard wrong
Old 07-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #92
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Work (for the time being) is ongoing on my Mustang II. Hopefully get the front brakes done and long studs on the front wheels. Got the intake finished, cleaned up and painted. Also got my two barrel carburetor (it's a 1.08, even marked on the side, pretty easy to police) finished.

Also my Bluestreak converter was delivered Saturday morning. Had opened the garage earlier in the morning. Went back into the house for a cup of coffee. Came back out and stumbled over the box. Didn't expect a UPS delivery on Sat morning.

May not be yet ready for prime time. Want to get it to a state that I can haul it to a track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bluestreak converter.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	24858   Click image for larger version

Name:	intake and carb.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	24859  
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #93
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,481 Times in 1,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
Work (for the time being) is ongoing on my Mustang II. Hopefully get the front brakes done and long studs on the front wheels. Got the intake finished, cleaned up and painted. Also got my two barrel carburetor (it's a 1.08, even marked on the side, pretty easy to police) finished.

Also my Bluestreak converter was delivered Saturday morning. Had opened the garage earlier in the morning. Went back into the house for a cup of coffee. Came back out and stumbled over the box. Didn't expect a UPS delivery on Sat morning.

May not be yet ready for prime time. Want to get it to a state that I can haul it to a track.
Glad you got it okay, Rob.

Not glad you posted a picture, because now I have to tell this story LOL

Robert's car is one of the few 302/ C4 combos that come with a smaller bellhousing and flex plate. The converter itself actually is made with the "third" Ford pattern, which is the same as the 4 cylinder converters, except for the larger V8 pilot.
I suggested getting the larger bell and a new flex plate, and doing whatever it takes to make it fit the tunnel...obviously using a Ford tool to do so!
This team had planned on bolting in components one at a time to see if they could build themselves a budget index runner.
They elected to send me a stock 10" V8 converter to use for the cover and mounting studs. I bushed the cover down and extended it to fit, but that does add some weight to the converter.
Normally, I would use an 8" stamping and minimal hardware for this small engine combo.
Now you know the rest of the story..
Old 07-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #94
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Glad you got it okay, Rob.

Not glad you posted a picture, because now I have to tell this story LOL

Robert's car is one of the few 302/ C4 combos that come with a smaller bellhousing and flex plate. The converter itself actually is made with the "third" Ford pattern, which is the same as the 4 cylinder converters, except for the larger V8 pilot.
I suggested getting the larger bell and a new flex plate, and doing whatever it takes to make it fit the tunnel...obviously using a Ford tool to do so!
This team had planned on bolting in components one at a time to see if they could build themselves a budget index runner.
They elected to send me a stock 10" V8 converter to use for the cover and mounting studs. I bushed the cover down and extended it to fit, but that does add some weight to the converter.
Normally, I would use an 8" stamping and minimal hardware for this small engine combo.
Now you know the rest of the story..
LOL, sorry Mark. Hey I'm proud of this new piece. All joking aside, still think going with the Mustang II converter will be the better plan. Now I just need to get my lazy butt out to the garage and get that part in. I'm to the point, I just want to get it done enough to haul it somewhere. See if the old bucket will make it down a track. Treat it like an old street car, see where it's at, make the improvements from there.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #95
Tod Lane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
LOL, sorry Mark. Hey I'm proud of this new piece. All joking aside, still think going with the Mustang II converter will be the better plan. Now I just need to get my lazy butt out to the garage and get that part in. I'm to the point, I just want to get it done enough to haul it somewhere. See if the old bucket will make it down a track. Treat it like an old street car, see where it's at, make the improvements from there.
Bob ole buddy, I don't recall you having any reluctance to hit that car with a hammer when we were getting that header in lol
Tod Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #96
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just a little update.

Life has severely gotten in the way since my last posts on this thread. My old friend, Tod Lane and I have both been bitten by life. My mother whom was living with my wife and I had become more and more ill in the past few months. As cold as this sounds, mercifully she has finally left us. She passed away two weeks ago.

Roughly at same time, Tod's wife of 36+ years has been stricken with cancer. Which for both of us has made working on these old cars just a little less important in the grand scheme of things.

No real work of any consequence has gotten done in the past few months. Honestly, I haven't been in my garage much except to get tools for routine maintenance. So, I'm trying to get re-motivated to get a direction back in life.

In that regard, went to visit a co-worker yesterday and help him remove an unneeded item from his garage. Brought back a "Mexican" re-manned long block. At least that is what the tags say it is? Which just happened to be numbers matching 78 FFFord 302. He said it came out of a 78 T-Bird that he and a buddy had stripped. It did measure out at 4 inches on the bore (std). It has the correct number 78 heads. Which gives me a few more pieces to work with once I get my head screwed back on straight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mexengine.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	26318  
Old 05-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #97
tommy d

Liked 311 Times in 116 Posts

Bob Williams says hi.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11205058_1579331772342105_4248952050787776217_n.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	28713   Click image for larger version

Name:	11165302_1579331769008772_3428818851194642099_n.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	28714  
Old 05-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #98
Tod Lane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Just a little update.

Life has severely gotten in the way since my last posts on this thread. My old friend, Tod Lane and I have both been bitten by life. My mother whom was living with my wife and I had become more and more ill in the past few months. As cold as this sounds, mercifully she has finally left us. She passed away two weeks ago.

Roughly at same time, Tod's wife of 36+ years has been stricken with cancer. Which for both of us has made working on these old cars just a little less important in the grand scheme of things.

No real work of any consequence has gotten done in the past few months. Honestly, I haven't been in my garage much except to get tools for routine maintenance. So, I'm trying to get re-motivated to get a direction back in life.

In that regard, went to visit a co-worker yesterday and help him remove an unneeded item from his garage. Brought back a "Mexican" re-manned long block. At least that is what the tags say it is? Which just happened to be numbers matching 78 FFFord 302. He said it came out of a 78 T-Bird that he and a buddy had stripped. It did measure out at 4 inches on the bore (std). It has the correct number 78 heads. Which gives me a few more pieces to work with once I get my head screwed back on straight.
Well life has thrown us some curves since Bob's last update, my wife passed away Dec 11.

But we have in fact restarted the project, there is a LONG way to go yet but progress has been made.
Tod Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:58 PM   #99
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Pulling for you regardless of the time table.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #100
tommy d

Liked 311 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Lane View Post
Well life has thrown us some curves since Bob's last update, my wife passed away Dec 11.

But we have in fact restarted the project, there is a LONG way to go yet but progress has been made.
Todd, very sorry for your loss. Can't begin to imagine the pain. Hope to see you guys sometime this summer.