HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 05-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
jerry witzel

Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Default Minimum clearance front wheel to caliper

What is the safe clearance between the front wheel and the brake caliper ? I finally replaced my front drum brakes with Aerospace discs but I have had a few issues. After spending almost another grand on 2 new front wheels to get the right offset my passenger wheel was against the caliper. I already had 1/2 spacers installed so I bought some .625 spacers but the right side is still very close. I'm afraid that when turning the wheel may flex and hit the caliper. So how close can the wheel be ? Can't put much more spacer on cause the front tire will hit the fender.
jerry witzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 653 Times in 253 Posts
Default Re: Minimum clearance front wheel to caliper

I just had this problem on my oldsmobile. Weld star rim and stock GM caliper. Im 1/4 clearance from hitting spokes on rim and have not seen any rubbing. I was thinking about putting used pads on to get caliber away from wheel as im not a fan of wheel spacers. But im only 90 mph.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry witzel View Post
What is the safe clearance between the front wheel and the brake caliper ? I finally replaced my front drum brakes with Aerospace discs but I have had a few issues. After spending almost another grand on 2 new front wheels to get the right offset my passenger wheel was against the caliper. I already had 1/2 spacers installed so I bought some .625 spacers but the right side is still very close. I'm afraid that when turning the wheel may flex and hit the caliper. So how close can the wheel be ? Can't put much more spacer on cause the front tire will hit the fender.
I am guessing you don't have the caliper installed correctly. The parting line on the caliper should be lined up exactly with the center of the rotor. I have aerospace on my 68 Camaro and have no issue with clearance to the back side of the front wheel
Old 05-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
jerry witzel

Mike, I will look at it again when I get the chance but I had to put a lot of shims behind the caliper brackets to get the least amount or drag especially on the passenger side. I ordered some .750 spacers today to try, won't have them till next week. After I put the car on the ground I do have more clearance between the tires and the fenders than what I thought. I will double check everything this weekend.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #5
jerry witzel

Spot on Mike. I had the left side lined up perfect but the right was off abit. I took some shims out of the right side and got it lined up. Still don't have the clearance I would like but should be enough to not cause a problem.