HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: '66 Dodge D-Dart at Mecum auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Without going back to look at the engine picture again I remember seeing a dual master cylinder, proportioning valve,neither of which were on 66 Darts, wrong intake manifold (they sure dont look like that one), wrong air cleaner, etc. I know these cars very well....I drove one at Aqusco in 1966 before I was drafted in the Army that belonged to a friend but alas we were outrun by the Bob Banning Bounty Hunter "D" Dart each and every time....lol. And yes I know Tom Sneden who drove the Bounty Hunter very well. Im more familiar with the D Darts and early mopars than you may think and my friend also owned a 1965 Formula S 235 HP Barracuda with an automatic that he drove. And you my friend have shown that you are again....an *** !
So I guess Govier is an asshole for accrediting this car.And I guess the owner is a lying SOB.And I guess I'm an *** too for missing some of the other fine points of this car.I'm a bad boy and I'm going to my room now.

Ed F.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
qwiked

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Miller View Post
With all the discussion of the '66 Dodge D-Dart lately, thought you might like to see one that went through the Mecum Indy auction recently. The bidding went to $40,000 but it did not reach the reserve price.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...9&entryRow=671

Travis

(Opinions expressed by me on this forum are exactly that, my opinions.)
The real idiot is the owner that did not "roll this sled" at $40 k--I have attended a # of BJ auctions and I thought Galen Govier certification is the Mopar gold standard --there is another guy that is passed off as the Ford guru -- Is he bogus??
qwiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
bigshow2966

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts
Talking Re: '66 Dodge D-Dart at Mecum auction

The biggest problem with a 'Galen Govier certified car' is that there are a lot more cars out there than Galen ever certified. I know Galen and he does have his moments, but his name does get attached to many frauds he had nothing to do with.

With all the obvious changes I seriously doubt Galen 'certified' it.

This auction is where two fools met. One for offering $40K for that car, and the other for not taking it.
bigshow2966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshow2966 View Post
The biggest problem with a 'Galen Govier certified car' is that there are a lot more cars out there than Galen ever certified. I know Galen and he does have his moments, but his name does get attached to many frauds he had nothing to do with.

With all the obvious changes I seriously doubt Galen 'certified' it.

This auction is where two fools met. One for offering $40K for that car, and the other for not taking it.
Quote by owner "This particular example is documented with an decoding by expert Galen Govier which states that it was produced on April 17, 1966 as a special order assembled at the Hamtramck, MI plant as a Dodge Super Stock D-Dart"

If what he says is true the car was certified with paperwork by Govier.If not then he's a fraud.

Ed F.
Just an old ***
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Old 05-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #15
dart4forte

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The Dart that was auctioned use to belong to a guy who lives in Florida, He actually owned two, the one you see on this thread and the old Ted Sphere D/Dart. Here's a link to a site that he frequents. He knows the history of the car depicted here. Apparently from what he told me he sold the car to the guy with the original engine on a pallet. He kept some parts for his other D dart. If I can remember correctly he made the mods you see on the car, M/C, water pump etc. to drive the car on the street. He's pretty knowledgeable about these cars. I'm not sure if he or the current owner had GG inspect the car. The guy who bought this car probably had plans to flip it and make some bucks. I'll bet the reserve was way more than the 40K. I think it was last month the guy from Florida said the car was going to be auctioned. Anyway, here's the site.

http://www.seriousviewers.com/D-Dart/ddart.htm
dart4forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #16
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You have to understand collector car "status" is in the details. Is this an LO23D 1966 "D" Dart" Presumably, as long as the VIN is not altered. Would Govier certify it as an original? Most certainly, as in "this is an original D Dart of which only 50 were produced".
Does it have the correct drive-train? That's open for debate. But it does appear it is an original D Dart whether it has a slant 6 or a 426 Hemi under the hood is a point that takes away value.
My prediction was about $20K and a no sale. I got the no sale part right but never imagined it would be that high. I would suspect shill bidding. Happens all the time.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #17
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Talking Re: '66 Dodge D-Dart at Mecum auction

Quote:
Without going back to look at the engine picture again I remember seeing a dual master cylinder, proportioning valve,neither of which were on 66 Darts, wrong intake manifold (they sure dont look like that one), wrong air cleaner, etc. I know these cars very well....I drove one at Aqusco in 1966 before I was drafted in the Army that belonged to a friend but alas we were outrun by the Bob Banning Bounty Hunter "D" Dart each and every time....lol. And yes I know Tom Sneden who drove the Bounty Hunter very well. Im more familiar with the D Darts and early mopars than you may think and my friend also owned a 1965 Formula S 235 HP Barracuda with an automatic that he drove. And you my friend have shown that you are again....an *** !
The Dart that was auctioned use to belong to a guy who lives in Florida, He actually owned two, the one you see on this thread and the old Ted Sphere D/Dart. Here's a link to a site that he frequents. He knows the history of the car depicted here. Apparently from what he told me he sold the car to the guy with the original engine on a pallet. He kept some parts for his other D dart. If I can remember correctly he made the mods you see on the car, M/C, water pump etc. to drive the car on the street. He's pretty knowledgeable about these cars. I'm not sure if he or the current owner had GG inspect the car. The guy who bought this car probably had plans to flip it and make some bucks. I'll bet the reserve was way more than the 40K. I think it was last month the guy from Florida said the car was going to be auctioned. Anyway, here's the site.

OK X Tech Bite me...... You're an expert allright.In sticking your foot in your mouth.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Old 05-21-2009, 04:55 AM   #18
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: '66 Dodge D-Dart at Mecum auction

I never said it was not a "D" Dart. It is a very poor restoration with a lot of miss matched parts. Originality is what makes a restoration worth money along with history documentation. Yes the D darts had the 8.75 rear with 4.86 gears. That was a problem that the "Golden Cammandos" had when racing thier 273235 HP Barracuda with a 4-speed. NHRA would not allow the 8.75 rear they tried to run and the smaller rear broke a lot. They ended up running AHRA as that association body allowed the larger rear. They later ran Modified Production in NHRA to be able to use the larger rear. The car I drove (for 4 weekends) only ran high 13's because the engine was never taken apart $$$$$ and blueprinted. We drove to the track in those days. We couldnt afford a trailer AND a tow car. We were young, poor, and didnt know all that much about all of it back then. Guys like Tom Sneden of the Bounty Hunters were good people and never looked down on guys like us who wanted to learn.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Guys,

Galen only certified that the car was a factory built D/Dart.....nothing else. Any changes or modifications done to the car are not his concern. He is not a judge who would have noticed these changes, all he does is verify the cars authenticity.

Jim
treessavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #20
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Quote:
I never said it was not a "D" Dart. It is a very poor restoration with a lot of miss matched parts. Originality is what makes a restoration worth money along with history documentation. Yes the D darts had the 8.75 rear with 4.86 gears. That was a problem that the "Golden Cammandos" had when racing thier 273235 HP Barracuda with a 4-speed. NHRA would not allow the 8.75 rear they tried to run and the smaller rear broke a lot. They ended up running AHRA as that association body allowed the larger rear. They later ran Modified Production in NHRA to be able to use the larger rear. The car I drove (for 4 weekends) only ran high 13's because the engine was never taken apart $$$$$ and blueprinted. We drove to the track in those days. We couldnt afford a trailer AND a tow car. We were young, poor, and didnt know all that much about all of it back then. Guys like Tom Sneden of the Bounty Hunters were good people and never looked down on guys like us who wanted to learn.
Previous post by you know who:They should have sold it for that kind of money. It looks "BOGUS" (non stock parts) just from the under the hood pictures. Its amazing what some people are trying to pass off at these auctions and get such crazy money for. Especially the BJ ones in Arizona and Fla

"bogus" "amazing what some people try to pass off".
Back pedal any harder and your head will be through the windshield.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA

Last edited by Ed Fernandez; 05-21-2009 at 11:27 AM.