HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 02-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #11
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Solid lifters in Stock

I worked with a guy some time back who was our shop foreman. He was a Mopar wedge guy, and he knew Torqueflites inside and out. He was a self taught rocket scientist. He experienced a tendency toward lifter pump up on one of his rather radical streeters, he attributed it to not so much as valve float over the nose of the cam, but due to the long duration cam he had, the exhaust valves had trouble closing quick enough, and the lifters would tend to pump up. He got a set of solid lifters,16 adjustable push rods, and dropped them in on the hydraulic cam. He adjusted valves around .008" on both valves, then buttoned it up and went for a ride(ha,ha).The car liked it. It had more RPM in all three gears, it ran smooth at a steady speed, seemed like a win/win. He said that when he got off the freeway after a run of a few miles or so with a fully warmed up engine, it would steadily start idling worse and worse, and one time it stalled in traffic at the bottom of the offramp. Attempting to restart the engine, it cranked like it was low on compression (which it was).After a bit, it restarted, and in regular traffic, it seemed OK. What was happening was that the cylinder head temperature climbed at a hot idle, the valve stems and valve train components expanded due to the heat, and it took up the valve lash to the point where the exhaust valves weren't closing since the lash disappeared. After it returned to ambient temperatures, lash reappeared, the engine ran fine. We don't heat soak a stocker motor like that, so .008" or so lash wouldn't do this, but it might be a thing to consider. Another thing--a hydraulic lifter with a lot of spring pressure running at 6000+ rpm, would it be possible for the lifter height to decrease, allowing the maximum lift at the finish line to be less than the lift at a lower RPM? Is it possible for lash to open up at RPM like that due to the lifter starting to possibly retract the plunger?There's no way to adequately measure this while the engine is running, but the non-collapsible lifter might result in a little more lift at RPM's than we had with hydraulics. Just a speculation.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #12
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: Solid lifters in Stock

A very common problem on small air cooled engines with solid lifters. They run fine cold but start running bad and stall and won’t restart. Not enough valve lash on the exhaust side. It quickly gets worse when the valve is not able to touch the seat and shed some heat. Onan old style flathead opposite opposed twins did it all the time. Lash spec was .013” on exhaust side. Valve face wears and lash gets tighter. Eventually the hot engine runs bad/no restart scenario. Drives you crazy until you figure it out! One of many odd scenarios heat related I’ve dealt with.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #13
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
Are Solid Lifters Lighter than Hydraulics?
My new solids are a lot lighter.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #14
Chris Hill

Liked 238 Times in 25 Posts

When did this rule change happen?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #15
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,416 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
A very common problem on small air cooled engines with solid lifters. They run fine cold but start running bad and stall and won’t restart. Not enough valve lash on the exhaust side. It quickly gets worse when the valve is not able to touch the seat and shed some heat. Onan old style flathead opposite opposed twins did it all the time. Lash spec was .013” on exhaust side. Valve face wears and lash gets tighter. Eventually the hot engine runs bad/no restart scenario. Drives you crazy until you figure it out! One of many odd scenarios heat related I’ve dealt with.
Interesting.
Kind of hard to explain motorcycles though.
Many were routinely set up with 2- 3 thou. lash with adjusters or shimmed valve caps on the DOHC's.. They'll run fine, hot or cold , until all the lash goes away and need to be re-shimmed. When they get quiet, ..time for some maintenance.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:43 PM   #16
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,416 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hill View Post
When did this rule change happen?
2018, I believe.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #17
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Mark, newer Onan V twins(air cooled) engines are built by Subaru-Robin from what I know...…..They are 60 degree overhead valve engines used in 5.5 and 7 kw RV generators. Valve lash spec is .002-.003...

They usually get loose on the lash and not tight. They routinely fail from heat working on the valves, springs, guides and eventually the guides get loose in the head. Real bad problem on those. I replace heads on them all the time...….The hotter they run the quicker and more likely the guide problem will happen.....And owners that don't change the oil often enough. 2 quarts is all they hold.

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 02-13-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #18
Pat6868

Liked 66 Times in 21 Posts

I ran my 327/275 stocker engine with plugged hydraulics at .005 lash cold. It did not like any tighter.
Pat6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #19
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

The ramps on camshafts on hydraulic and solid cams are designed differently for many reasons.

Due to the various ramp and lobe designs in Stock Eliminator such as dwell and non-dwell lobes, when you plan to switch from hydraulic to solid, the best is to talk to the camshaft designer at the camshaft company; not the salesperson.

If you are building a new engine, just have a new camshaft made for use with solid lifters. It will have the proper area under the curve and also, with the right lobe, you can create lofting that will provide the engine with more lift than what the actual cam was physically designed with.

Yes, due to the dynamics of a solid lifter, they tend to make more power and RPM quicker when compared to a normal hydraulic lifter only if the valvetrain geometry has been optimized. When I say normal hydraulic I am not talking about a restricted travel or blocked hydraulic lifter.
Also, a solid lifter will be lighter than a hydraulic counterpart. I always recommend EDM drilled solid lifters that are DLC coated, installed with the proper lifter bore clearance.

Many years ago during a conversation with Don Tweles at General Kinetics, he shared that his dwell lobes could be run 0.006 ~ 0.010 with solid lifters.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:42 PM   #20
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Thank You to everybody who replied since I revived this thread. I'm going to give it a try. I've got to do something to find some ET. Hopefully this, a 200 transmission and a couple other things will help get me going In the right direction.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote