HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
Don Himes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Re: What's with D-2?

I'm guessing here, but it seems to me, what with the cost of fuel and the strict enforcement of the Florida over-the-road rules, we may be lucky to have a full field at the Gators! Heck, it cost me over $400 in fuel to get home from Maple Grove this year. That same trip will cost about $500 next Feb. plus race gas, entry fee, and perhaps a FINE from the friendly "Sunshine State". We'ins down here are still trying to learn to vote properly!!

Ya'll come back now, ya hear!............................................. ..... :-)
Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts
Default Re: What's with D-2?

"The Don",

See I told you it would'nt take that long for you to start being Floridaized. And you said it was never going to happen, we'ins, Ha Ha.

As far as the grouping of races in D2, you can look at it several ways.

a) If you are from anywhere north of Florida, you can get in alot of sunshine and be racing at the same time, except for the occasional shower.
b) You can save fuel as there is several races that are in close proximity to each other.
c) You know where you stand point wise after a month and a half. ie. 3 divisionals and 1 national.
4) Your pocketbook takes a wallop in a very short time.
e) You are away for a while.
f) There is plenty of time to party and see the sights.
g) You can get discouraged numerous times in succession.
h) Your highs and lows can make you feel like a yo yo.
i) You stay sharp at racing, it is the only thing you are doing.
j) Sooner or later you have to go back to not so great weather.
#1) You stay in Florida and give up on going back to where ever.

Do not forget that if you wanted to run both NHRA & IHRA, you could be quite busy

Immokalee, Feb 2 divisionals, 1 national week 1
Bradenton, Feb 1 divisional week 2
Gainesville, Feb 1 divisional week 3
Lakeland Feb test/tune/parking/Disney week 4
Orlando, Mar 1 divisional week 5
Gainesville, Mar 1 national week 6

and I'm not sure, but I think IHRA has 2 divisionals in Douglass, GA on the way out of Florida for week 7.

Welcome to D2.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA ya'all come back, hear.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #13
Woodro Josey

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Hey Ron you must have helped with the scheduling???????You guys have a Great Thanksgiving!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #14
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Tracy;

The only problem with NHRA having division points races or a national open in the Carolinas is there are no tracks in S.C. or N.C. right now that choose to be NHRA sanctioned. When I thought about it I wasn't sure and had to check the NHRA web site to confirm this. I wish they would kind of spread out the schedule a little more throughout the year, but Bill hasn't rang my phone to ask my opinion.

As far as the division director scheduling national opens and division points races, he has to get track operators that want to host these races and feel that they are a worthwile effort that they will make a profit at. The division director cannot force them to host these races. It's my understanding the reason Carl doesn't run the national open in Dec. at Orlando any more is after Bill agreed to schedule a national open at Montgomery a week or 2 prior to his date it took a considerable amount of car count away and it was no longer profitable for him.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #15
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and for those going to West Palm, safe traveling.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #16
Tracy Robbins

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

I wonder if the underlying reason for not having any tracks in the Carolina's goes back to division 2 management? Just a few years ago there were 3 tracks (Darlington, Fayetteville, and Jacksonville) and they have now all switched to IHRA, I wonder what the reason is? Two of those had grade points earning races scheduled about 3 years ago, Fayetteville w/ a national open and Darlington w/ a division 2 race and they both got mysteriously dropped from the schedule before their dates arrived. I had all of my licenses/numbers updated to participate hoping to finally get to run some NHRA and then the events were dropped. We are fortunate to have all the IHRA division 9 events that we do plus a couple of combo series so we don't necessarily need more races...it's just fun to run something different every now and then.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #17
Tracy Robbins

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Could be more opportunities for them on the IHRA side...Darlington got a divsional their first year back. Hopefully they will make enough money to justify new concrete walls and we will once again have the "original Winternationals" (IHRA) back in SC. Wouldn't that be great!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #18
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 148 Times in 46 Posts

I totally agree, I cant make those div races 4 in a row, I'll do good to make 2 that early in the season. My question is, what happened to Montgomery?? There isnt a spring race or a winter race there anymore.
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #19
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

From where I live the Div. 2 schedule is not bad....first 4 races are all within 3 hours from home (so I'm fortunate in that respect). Almost like running IHRA Div. 9 and living in N.C. Just wish they were spread out a little more on the calander.

Stephen and Horace....I think when Montgomery had the division points race and the national open there Bob Dennis was one of the partners in the group that owned the track. If that was true then you had a owner that was interested in class racing and that always helps. I wouldn't mind seeing another division points race at Montgomery. You guys are in the area close to George Howard, run the idea by him.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #20
john clegg

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Smile Re: What's with D-2?

Just a word of caution. legal length of toter homes type rigs is 65 feet in all states. no exceptions. no permits. no excuses. and yes I have a long one and I did pay a big fine in texas two years ago. If you get stopped be expecting the trooper to get out the tape measure. He will ask you to hold one end. at least he let me go on after writing the ticket. In most states, the cop could make you disconnect and use a short truck to move the trailer away.
john clegg is offline   Reply With Quote