Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-15-2018, 02:19 AM   #71
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: E shift ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
So, "E Shift" being allowed in some of the older cars, in case you might race Stock again, is what you are concerned with?
Reaching for the shifter in a 14 second car is less of a deal than a nine second car.
Oh Eddie 4 speed. I ran my mid 13 sec. gremlin in stock for 11 years. I bet if I had put you in the car you couldn't have gotten the 1 to 2 shift right for quite a long time, maybe never. Just the facts.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:36 AM   #72
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Oh Eddie 4 speed. I ran my mid 13 sec. gremlin in stock for 11 years. I bet if I had put you in the car you couldn't have gotten the 1 to 2 shift right for quite a long time, maybe never. Just the facts.
Different combos have the 1-2 come up quicker than others. Once we had a way to playback the run, we found that we typically over-revved the 1-2 and almost always shorted the rpm on the 3-4. It really was no big deal, we just adjusted our shift light. The problem was solved. No need for e shift there.

I think the difference here is how the automated shift is done in some stockers vs Superstocker SS?

I am waiting for someone to say they need a delay box for safety reasons next...

Last edited by james schaechter; 01-15-2018 at 06:04 AM.
james schaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #73
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
I originally manually shifted mine, often while still in the air. Never was a problem.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #74
Rat Raceway

Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Rat Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
Just wanted to share an email I exchanged with Pat Cvengros.

James, thanks for sharing with me the other day.

I was informed that NO FACTORY STOCK cars, COPO, Drag pack or Cobra jet can run any type of computer driven shifter (electric, air or internal solenoid).

All shifting in all these cars must be done by the driver, by hand. They were NOT delivered from the factory with computer shifted transmissions and there for not allowed for any reason what so ever to use one.

So unless a FS car is being shifted by hand, its not legal.
Rat Raceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:02 AM   #75
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
Different combos have the 1-2 come up quicker than others. Once we had a way to playback the run, we found that we typically over-revved the 1-2 and almost always shorted the rpm on the 3-4. It really was no big deal, we just adjusted our shift light. The problem was solved. No need for e shift there.

I think the difference here is how the automated shift is done in some stockers vs Superstocker SS?

I am waiting for someone to say they need a delay box for safety reasons next...
If you can't shift a car by yourself why are you racing?
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #76
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: E shift ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
If you can't shift a car by yourself why are you racing?
You nailed it Ed !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #77
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
Just wanted to share an email I exchanged with Pat Cvengros.

1992 would have been a 700R4 so as it is not shifted by the computer, it should not qualify for E-shift. I guess you could argue the lockup was controlled by the computer but that's stretching it.
NHRA really needs to clarify this issue but my vote would be if it's an electronic transmission that was original equipment to that model and it was originally shifted by the computer, e-shift. Otherwise, you have a choice between shifting it yourself or playing with the governor and leaving it in drive.

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
jmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #78
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I don't race stock but I do race a super stock car. I don't know why NHRA would allow any stocker to run an auto shift if they don't allow all of the classes to run one. I say either all or none in stock. One should not have an advantage over the other in my book.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #79
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantle View Post
1992 would have been a 700R4 so as it is not shifted by the computer, it should not qualify for E-shift. I guess you could argue the lockup was controlled by the computer but that's stretching it.
NHRA really needs to clarify this issue but my vote would be if it's an electronic transmission that was original equipment to that model and it was originally shifted by the computer, e-shift. Otherwise, you have a choice between shifting it yourself or playing with the governor and leaving it in drive.

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
I didn't write the rule ofcourse and I won't disagree with what you said either. Like I saI'd before it really didn't make any difference to me but if I can I will use it. I asked can I or can't I and got my answer. Ofcourse you have people asking "how hard is it to shift yourself" well answer is not much so why does everyone worry so much about it!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #80
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantle View Post

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
Of course , this is entirely correct, but their reasoning for FS is diametrically opposed to that of allowing E-shift in pre-electric controlled transmission cars with EFI.

Let me elaborate, for those of you in Rio Linda:
(This might be all hearsay , because I haven't talked to PC lately..nor do I care to)
1977 Cadillac Seville, 350 EFI } E-shift okay
1977 Cadillac 425, 4 bbl} E-shift not okay
1987 Camaro , 305 EFI, 700 R4 trans with governor } E-shift okay.
2009-2018 A/FX factory ringers, various computer controlled EFI systems } EFI not okay.
Whew , boy...
Someone asked in another thread: "What do we get for our $360?"
Not much, apparently.