HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #21
Coleydog

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: New Rule Revision For Stock and S/S

Never thought about the visibility part, but those "new fast cars" seem to be catching a car, not looking back. With the short seats, wouldn't they require headrests on both sides to look right?
Mike
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #22
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

My personal opinion, after seeing the outcome of bruises and injuries on other racers that have experienced accidents, and taking in to account the current speeds, I will not go low cost, or use a fiberglass or metal seat with just a cover, or compromise because visibility on a racing seat.

In my new Comp car, I am using an FIA approved seat, with support and cushioning to protect my body in the event of an accident and also allows me the use of a HANS device.

Yes, they are expensive when compared to an aluminum Kirkey, nevertheless, I will never compromise my safety.

The two brands I recommend are Cobra and Racetech.

For the passenger seat, I purchased an Ebay, Chinese made, racing seat that looks identical to my FIA approved seat and it only cost me $75.00.

Below is the Cobra seat I am using and next is the Racetech seat used by many in their drag cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cobra-suzuka-gt.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	42635   Click image for larger version

Name:	RT4009HR-116(sml)-360x360.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	42636  
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #23
Casey Miles

Liked 444 Times in 83 Posts

I would like to know how after market seats got into stock in the first place? Just about any seat can be redone, so I don't see the reasoning. But the tooth paste is out of the tube now.
Here again, you pay your membership monies to NHRA for them to police and maintain a category. But NHRA just ignores what stock roots were and just plows along with decisions about (we don't want to check anything) rules that bastardizes the originality of stock.

Casey Miles
248H

Last edited by Casey Miles; 09-14-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: compesition
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #24
Jim Bailey

Liked 505 Times in 104 Posts

This stuff cracks me up! I stood on the starting line at Indy,. I observed multiple and I mean multiple, sub 10 second stockers running without the required safety equipment . No neck collars, no window nets, no gloves, open face helmets, and less than sfi/5 jackets and pants. This included factory shoot out cars,stockers,and AH Hemis. So now NHRA wants to worry about a passenger seat that nobody rides in ..... how about some competent tech persons / observers !
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #25
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Miles View Post
I would like to know how after market seats got into stock in the first place? Just about any seat can be redone, so I don't see the reasoning. But the tooth paste is out of the tube now.
Here again, you pay your membership monies to NHRA for them to police and maintain a category. But NHRA just ignores what stock roots were and just plows along with decisions about (we don't want to check anything) rules that bastardizes the originality of stock.

Casey Miles
248H
Casey,
If you do a search, this subject has been discussed to death.'
My opinion, with the high speeds involved, an OEM seat is not as safe as a good racing seat as regards to protecting a driver.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #26
Jason

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

With all the bad mouthing of this new rule revision on this thread alone, can it be that there may be more modified/lightened/butchered aftermarket passenger seats out there than was originally thought? The tech guys must have been reporting enough to their bosses for this rule revision to happen.

Which leads to the next question - how many on here are upset because they've got to buy a new passenger seat? And with NHRA admitting they read this forum, could they be taking notes?
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #27
carbuilder

Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

What a frickin joke,,,,hmmmm, ported heads, **** that don't belong,on and on and on,,,,some kind of performance advantage I missed? I put in a cut down passenger seat when I realized the driver couldn't see out the pass side of car,,,, wait till you see how I fix it ???? WHATEVER
carbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #28
carbuilder

Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

The bogus lightened seats I used to do couldn't be caught,,, and worried about the less than quarter pound in weight from the cut down seat ? get real,,,, sadly no one at nhra has a CLUE,,,, about ANYTHING,,,, ha ha
carbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #29
Sam Capizzi Jr

Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

So I can replace my stock bench seat with 2 lightweight aftermarket seats as long as they match.... how does that work if the car doesn't require a roll bar. Seat belts.?
Sam Capizzi Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #30
Hacksaw

Liked 272 Times in 149 Posts

I said it before, and if any of you stocker guys ever would have looked at some of the newer SS cars with the chopped down pass seats you would understand what's going on with this revision and embrace it, not bitch about it.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote