HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
CDN1179

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default IHRA '02 Camaro Stock Help

Hello all,
We have a 2002 Camaro, and the engine is all factory, we what to give IHRA stock a shot, with a couple local races, but without spending an arm and a leg. I know the pure stock classes are fairly easy to build towards, and we are interested in them. Our goal would be to run high 11's or low 12's. We're fairly raw in terms of technical knowledge, and I'm just looking where we should start in terms of engine mods.

We have a been a best of 12.12 in amazing air, on average we are around high 12.20's low 12.30's. We have aftermarket headers with full exhaust, a moser 12 bolt rear end, and just a couple other little add on's. But once again, any help would be appreciated, we are not looking to break records, just looking for some divisional race fun.

Thanks,
Jarrod Kolne.
CDN1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: IHRA '02 Camaro Stock Help

Jarrod - I used to run a '99 in the NMCA EFI classes with minimal mods. I found short shifting produced the best et's...it didnt like being buzzed.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
TOSTO RACING

Liked 471 Times in 136 Posts

Ls1 cars are really fast when I had mine I had a totally stock Gm shortblock ,stock rods ,rod bolts and stock pistons never touched it . Put a bullet cam in it and had heads up do the heads went .87 under in C/S at 127 mph for very little money spent in the engine even had the stock Gm valves in it. I would put a cam in it and you will see 7 tenths easy! Hard to believe but they love camshafts! If you still have the 4l60e the best converter to buy for them in my opinion is the yank converter.
Good luck !
Liked
Old 02-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
Cdncarnut

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Jarrod,

I did not realize that you were getting bored with what you were doing with your car.
You run almost every race available and win often.

I know your dad mentioned that you were interested in a new car.
I am guessing that is not an option.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN1179 View Post
Hello all,
We have a 2002 Camaro, and the engine is all factory, we what to give IHRA stock a shot, with a couple local races, but without spending an arm and a leg. I know the pure stock classes are fairly easy to build towards, and we are interested in them. Our goal would be to run high 11's or low 12's. We're fairly raw in terms of technical knowledge, and I'm just looking where we should start in terms of engine mods.

We have a been a best of 12.12 in amazing air, on average we are around high 12.20's low 12.30's. We have aftermarket headers with full exhaust, a moser 12 bolt rear end, and just a couple other little add on's. But once again, any help would be appreciated, we are not looking to break records, just looking for some divisional race fun.

Thanks,
Jarrod Kolne.
Running Pure Stock is very cool...!!!
LS1 Camaro a very popular car.
Corbitt Marshburn and Brent Darroch have Pure Stock Camaro's too.
TAR HEAL has a similar car, a 2002 LS1 Vette.

Very easy to get competitive and can run well under the Index.
Think all of them have been deep in the 11's on good days.

I run a 1995 Impala SS with an Iron Head LT1 in G/PS.
Agree with TOSTO Racing on using a YANK Converter.

The small rear in your Camaro is rugged enough for Pure Stock.
Deep Gears, Slicks, Shocks, Converter and Tune you can actually pull wheelies.
Add a Bullet Blueprint cam and Springs and you are flying for the Record.
Stay under 11.50 you will not need a Roll Bar, Racing Seat and Seat Belts or fancy super duper expensive racing fuel.

Heck I drive my car to all the races.
Put my racing wheels on and go racing.

Send me a picture of your car and will post it on the Pure Stock PhotoGallery.

Dan Fahey

Last edited by Dan Fahey; 02-20-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
stock1080

Liked 81 Times in 36 Posts

Where do you get the hp rating for ihra? 85 iroc 305 carb /automatic tks
stock1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1080 View Post
Where do you get the hp rating for ihra? 85 iroc 305 carb /automatic tks
Contract Mike Baker at IHRA

NHRA Specifications on their website.
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
stock1080

Liked 81 Times in 36 Posts

thank you
stock1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #9
Tar Heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN1179 View Post
Hello all,

Thanks,
Jarrod Kolne.
Jarrod,

We run a 2004 Corvette that is IHRA Pure Stock legal; fits into B/PS. With a Bullet cam, Yank SS4000, 3.90 gear, headers, and drag radials it runs almost a second under in good air (11.5x on a 12.45 index). I will be taking the cam out soon and if you're interested I'll make you a good deal on it. Also, I'll be glad to help you in any way that I can. The LS1 cars (as do most I guess) respond very well to gears and a converter. The cam helped also but having to run stock duration as well limits us. The best part of Pure Stock, especially with our car, is we can still drive it on the street any time we like (although we seldom do) and it drives just about like it did when it was stock. Noticed the last time we were on our way to a car show that the DIC said we were getting 28 mpg on the highway!

If you have IHRA tracks around you going Pure Stock first is a logical first step and then later if you want to jump in fully you can always finish the conversion to B/FIA and B/SA.

Scott